Author Topic: ADT Profile Request  (Read 7661 times)

pmvliet

ADT Profile Request
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:51:51 AM »
Can someone who has Architectural Desktop or any of the other vertical export your profile for me and post it here or email it to me? I'd prefer 2007, but any version will suffice.

I'd like to mention a little about the Vertical Apps in my presentation at AU.

Thanks!

Pieter

pmvliet-at-makanaenterprises.com  replace -at- with @

Nicefro

Re: ADT Profile Request
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »
Hey there! Here's a screen shot of my profile for ADT 2007.  I can send you the *.cui file.  have looked around and can't find any other way to export it.

CAn't post the file here as it looks like it is an unsupported file type.

Cheers

N

daron

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:57:07 PM »
Haven't we gotten away from profiles for workspaces?

Nicefro

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »
Don't know if it was ADT / ACAD 2006 or 2007 that started the reference to workspaces.  The Tab within the Options dialogue box is still named 'Profiles'  Have *.cui  files replaced *.arg files? Strangely I never had to export a profile before when using acad 12 - 2000.

pmvliet

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 03:38:56 PM »
Haven't we gotten away from profiles for workspaces?

That is what I was trying to find out for the Vertical App's.Vanilla 2007 still has profiles and the current Workspace  is actually a variable that is contained within the profile. However, the information regarding the workspace is what is stored in the CUI.

I am trying to look at a *.ARG file from a vertical app. I want to see what is actually in this file or if it even exists, But I'm sure it still does.

Thanks,
Pieter

daron

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »
From what I can tell about them is that they seem to split the workload. Take lisp loading for instance. You used to load them through appload and they would be stored in the profile. You can still do this, but as far as I can tell it's pretty useless, since now you're required to load them in the cui, at least that is what I have found. I hope in subsequent releases they get rid of the profile thing altogether, or just pick one.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:41:48 AM »
From what I can tell about them is that they seem to split the workload. Take lisp loading for instance. You used to load them through appload and they would be stored in the profile. You can still do this, but as far as I can tell it's pretty useless, since now you're required to load them in the cui, at least that is what I have found. I hope in subsequent releases they get rid of the profile thing altogether, or just pick one.
Attached is my ARG file.  It will cost you very little.  Just tell me what you find out.  :-)  I am curious to how it interacts with the cui file.  Change the file extension to "txt" from "arg"

IMHO from my observations that the profiles are dominate over the CUI and workspaces but I feel that profiles poorly controls them.  Profiles are a memory setting of all the settings that you choose.  CUIs & workspaces don’t handle mapping of the paths or cursor settings, for example.

IMHO (again) Autodesk needs to completely overhaul the entire options dialogue box.  It just been added to here and there with each new release and is very clunky, vertical apps a side.  But I think that would be a major overhaul.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

pmvliet

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:07:36 PM »
Thank you Krushert!!!

Just as I suspected, the profile information for ADT is huge!

I can comment real quickly. The Profiles are basic registry edits that Autocad places in the system Registry. I can't seem to find anything in the Registry that refers to the CUI.

I do agree that the Profile is getting outdated with the introduction of the CUI and Autodesk needs to work on that part.

I can't predict the future, but I'm guessing that Profiles will just become the wrapper for the Autocad search paths. But even then, I'd like this not to be a static setting as it is now.

The CUI is becoming the Place to make changes, but I also believe this is not the most desirable as it can't be set or streamlined in the background. Or at least that is not how they are recommending users make changes... I'm still trying to learn all about the CUI's.

Oh Workspaces, The profile holds the value for the current workspace. But the definitions of the Workspaces (or choices) are stored in the CUI.  :lol:

Thanks again!

Pieter

Nicefro

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »
Pieter - Do you still need an ARG file from me?

I don't mind posting it, the only thing is I don't actually know how to extract it from the belly of this beast.

Krushert - did you export yours from ADT 2007? if  so how? thanks.

Cheers

N

daron

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »
What do you mean how? Options>profiles>export>tell it where.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »
Oh Workspaces, The profile holds the value for the current workspace. But the definitions of the Workspaces (or choices) are stored in the CUI.  :lol:

Hence my frustration when our server crap out last week.  Some of our CUIs were on the server and simply changing the path of the CUI to the new location; change the settings to the active workspaces and overwrote the saved workspace.   :pissed: :realmad: 
The somewhat work around was to change to an read-only workspace and then path the CUI to the new location.
I found this out (by trial & error) after I had changed the most of my users.  :realmad:
If anyone has a better way please let me know.

Krushert - did you export yours from ADT 2007? if  so how? thanks.
Yes I export the ARG to the user's "my doc's" folder and then add the date to the file name.  That way I know the most update one and have a back-up if required.  I am just a little anal when comes to this stuff and it easy to do.

I hassle my users on a regular basis to save their workspaces then export their ARG file.  There is always someone who doesn't do it and makes the biggest fuss over why Autocad can't remember their settings when something crashes.  I wish that there was a way to automate the exporting of ARG file behind the scenes so that there is no involvement by the user. 

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »
Aren't these one and the same?  :?
Is the "total" value equal to the sum of the definitions?
Similar to the value of the PDmode or running Osnaps?
I don't know, just trying to figure it out.

Nicefro

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »
Right!!

There you go Pieter - better late than never

and I learned a new trick too - try opening my eyes when looking at the same dialogue box looked at for the last six years - sheesh :oops:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »
......and I learned a new trick too - ......
And this is why we all are here.

Quote from:  a very important very old friend of mine
... your job is to learn one thing for day.  when you do, your job is done and you get to go home.....

pmvliet

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »
Aren't these one and the same?  :?
Is the "total" value equal to the sum of the definitions?
Similar to the value of the PDmode or running Osnaps?
I don't know, just trying to figure it out.

They are two different beasts... Profiles  befor the introduction of the CUI held the information on the actual display of Autocad, the menu's, toolbars and their placement on the screen.
This functionality has been taken away with the introduction of Workspaces. Workspaces now knows what toolbars and such are displayed and where they are located on the screen.

PDmode and running osnaps are autocad variables. Either system or environment variables. So, it's kind of a different piece of the pie as well. I'd have to look them up in the Profile to see exactly where they are stored.

Being that a Profile is just a registry entry into a system's Windows Registry. I am sure that you can automate a system to harvest that information on a semi-regular basis to a user directory someplace on the network for safe keeping. I'm not a IT Windows person so we'd have to get an expert...

Pieter