Author Topic: ARCHIVING OF OLD DRAWINGS.  (Read 10333 times)

SDETERS

ARCHIVING OF OLD DRAWINGS.
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
What paper size do you store your Obsolete drawings at?  Once upon a time we had a need to store Flat Files.  We do not need them flat files anymore since we have electronic PDF formats.    We can print these files out 1:1 on different paper sizes in a PDF file.  But at the current time the drawings are saved as scaled to fit to 11X17 and or 8.5 x 11 in the PDF file. 

Is there a problem keeping released drawings scaled to fit 11X17 in a pdf files that get sent to a vendor?  These drawing are for them to make the part to.  It says scale 1:1 on our print but that is useless now because when any body sees this PDF file who knows what scale it is.  The part should be made to print and the drawings should never be measured on. 

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: ARCHIVING OF OLD DRAWINGS.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
..... These drawing are for them to make the part to.  It says scale 1:1 on our print but that is useless now because when any body sees this PDF file who knows what scale it is.  The part should be made to print and the drawings should never be measured on. 
Scaling of drawings happen all to often sad to say no matter how much "neon blinking lights" you put on to say "Don't scale from drawings".

We store our hard copies full size in a flat files but have seen a reduction in the amount being filed.

Have you look into DWFs for Archiving and printing to scale.  we are just getting into DWFs over here just for printing-to-scale and also smaller file size with higher resolution due to communicating with contractors electronically.

My limited 2 cents worth.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
Assuming you are working in AutoCAD, can you set up an archive program that changes all scales on the drawing to read NTS (not to scale)?

It seems that your drawings must be well dimensioned and a need for a scale is null.

SDETERS

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »
Do to our systems the files have to be stored as PDF files.  DWF and such is not an option for us due to the fact we have two CAD systems.

I think they should be saved as 1:1 and then someone can always print to 11X17 or 8.5 x 11 and or if they want a 1:1 they have.  It is near impossible to scale the PDF file up from 11x17 to get a 1:1 plot out of the plotter.

WE do mechanical like shafts gears and die castings.  So all of our parts fit on a paper sizes any where from 8.5x11 to 48x36 sheets size
we have  to have fully dimensioned prints.  If they are not fully dimensioned then they use the 3D model to make the parts.  We then use the 2D print for critical dimensions and the 3D model for most of the other noon critical geometry

There is another question sorry

Do you archive your 3D models?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:22:54 PM by SDETERS »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:22:08 AM »
Do to our systems the files have to be stored as PDF files.  DWF and such is not an option for us due to the fact we have two CAD systems.

Ahh the two cad systems office.  I know your pain, we too have that here. 
Autodesk products should be the only systems that are allowed on the planet.  All others send them to the Mars.
Just throwing a stink bomb into the room to stir things up LOL

Why PDF in the first place.  Data storage is cheap to pick up.  I am Not a hardware person but we have 3lb coffee can (snap drive I am now told) in a wall cabinet that holds 320 gig and just simply plugs into the network hub..  this one is a little fancy in what is does so it cost $1000.  But I hear that simpler ones with lesser capacity can cost around $250.  Save the files as Dwgs files and print to PDF at whatever scale - whenever you want.  That is what we are doing over here.
Again my limited 2 cents worth.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:13:36 PM by Krushert »

Cavediver

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »
Why PDF in the first place.  Data storage is cheap to pick up. 

We PDF files so that our project managers (non-cad types) have access to the archives, and can do what they need to do without interrupting us with one of their "gotta have it right now!" emergencies... 

Whoops, back to reality.

When they do come over and interrupt us, is usually faster to pull up and send the pdf vs finding the drawing file, plotting, etc.

As far as storage goes, I just built a 250GB external USB drive for under $130.  Cheap and easy storage option.  Better yet, make two and use one for an off site backup.  It's not the perfect solution for a ton of reasons, but it gets the job done for most small companies / departments.

SDETERS

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »
Our systems uses LOtus Notes with a ECN (Engineer Change Notice) Database.  We Do the work and make a change and then we attach the PDF file to the database to be sent out for approval.  This way everyone can see this PDF file.  Also When the change is approved we send these files to multiple vendors that may have Autocad PRO-E or who knows what.  So they can read the PDF file no matter what.  Then they come back and ask for the 3D model for special requests.  Yes Storgae space is cheap I agree and the 3D system we use does not translate well into DWG.  WE have many issues with that so if we use PDF the file looks just like it does when we send it to get approved for the changes.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
Autodesk products should be the only systems that are allowed on the planet.  All others send them to the Mars.

BWHAHAHHAHAHHA ...  you Microsoft Lover!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 11:47:43 AM »

BWHAHAHHAHAHHA ...  you Microsoft Lover!

Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated into the collective.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
I don't think so...now with the improvements DataCAD is making for it's new release.

Think of it, a vanilla CAD that does everything AutoCAD has to do with separate programs.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 12:05:33 PM »
I don't think so...now with the improvements DataCAD is making for it's new release.

Think of it, a vanilla CAD that does everything AutoCAD has to do with separate programs.

Meh.....   promises, promises.  :-)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »

Meh.....   promises, promises.  :-)
The usual rhetoric from the soon-be-Obsolete

Just think Greg,
Once Microsoft and Autodesk take over the world, there will be piece and harmony in the world.  You wont get pick-on anymore.

Wind him up like a top and watch him go LOL

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 01:36:40 PM »
You wont get pick-on anymore.

I don't get picked on now.   :laugh:

BREZI

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
What paper size do you store your Obsolete drawings at?  Once upon a time we had a need to store Flat Files.  We do not need them flat files anymore since we have electronic PDF formats.    We can print these files out 1:1 on different paper sizes in a PDF file.  But at the current time the drawings are saved as scaled to fit to 11X17 and or 8.5 x 11 in the PDF file. 

Is there a problem keeping released drawings scaled to fit 11X17 in a pdf files that get sent to a vendor?  These drawing are for them to make the part to.  It says scale 1:1 on our print but that is useless now because when any body sees this PDF file who knows what scale it is.  The part should be made to print and the drawings should never be measured on. 

Don't understand why you want to change them from 1:1. If it is keep file sizes down, I think you will find pdf's are S@~t and are same file size no matter what page size they are.

DWF is the answer for archiving.

Why not keep the dwg's, pdf's & plt's.

We archive full job's onto dvd's now. keeping whole project together.