Author Topic: Borders & Scaling  (Read 6367 times)

M-dub

Borders & Scaling
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:58:24 AM »
Just curious about the methods (or lack thereof) Modelspace drafters use when scaling borders up and down.  Do you use the "divisible by twelve" rule of thumb for imperial drawings?  What happens when the drawings are to scale vs Not to scale?

I was tempted to throw this one in the vent, but I took a few deep breaths and counted to ten.
 :realmad: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 10 -  :-)

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Borders & Scaling
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 03:28:13 PM »
In our office we only use regular scales such as 2,5,10,15,20 25,50,100,200
These cover almost all of your needs from details to large general arrangements.
No in betweens! There's nothing worse than looking at prints and the text sizes vary from drawing to drawing, 7mm text should be 7mm and that's that :)
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »
I'll throw this at you guys from an ACP (Alternative CAD Package) method.

We have our titleblocks set up with the standard at 1/8" scale.  I scale it up and down as needed and try to keep the drawing themselves at the same scale at all time.  We adjust our font size depending on the titleblock scale.

Now, this has been quite a debate in the datacad society as well.  Some people do the titleblock on each page.  Some do the titleblock as an xref.  Some people use another method when printing called MSP or multi scale plotting.  All work fine and I'm still learning the MSP style.  I think the MSP style is similar to model/paperspace in AutoCAD.  At least for plotting.

Anyway.  We set up our titleblock as an xref and scale it up and down as needed.  Most drawings are 1/8" scale.  I do know DataCAD has a few other features that makes it easier, but right now they way we do it, it is just as fast.

sinc

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:57:19 AM »

Now, this has been quite a debate in the datacad society as well.  Some people do the titleblock on each page.  Some do the titleblock as an xref.  Some people use another method when printing called MSP or multi scale plotting.  All work fine and I'm still learning the MSP style.  I think the MSP style is similar to model/paperspace in AutoCAD.  At least for plotting.

We use a Title Block (with Attributes) in Paperspace.

I have never liked having title blocks in modelspace - they get in the way.  Attributed XREFs seemed like a possible solution, but I could never figure out how to ATTSYNC an attributed XREF.  So now we just use a Title Block in paperspace, and we usually use the Sheet Set Manager to fill in all the attributes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:58:32 AM by sinc »

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:22:09 AM »
Heck I dunno .. we just plot to scale and the text is scaled accordingly to the paper size. I know there is a general rule that the text should be the same size regardless of the size paper it is plotted on, but therin lies the rub. When I plot a drawing at 1/4"=1'-0" on Arch-E the text is one size, but if I plot that same drawing on Arch-C paper (at the appropriate scale), if the text remained the same, then there would be no room on the paper for the model as the text would completely take up the whole page, nevermind plotting Arch-B size.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 11:04:40 AM »
We always plot to 24X36

BREZI

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
Just curious about the methods (or lack thereof) Modelspace drafters use when scaling borders up and down.  Do you use the "divisible by twelve" rule of thumb for imperial drawings?  What happens when the drawings are to scale vs Not to scale?

I was tempted to throw this one in the vent, but I took a few deep breaths and counted to ten.
 :realmad: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 10 -  :-)

Why put drawing sheets in model space anyway.  Thought that went out with the dinosuars???   :-D

Arizona

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 09:19:47 AM »
Why put drawing sheets in model space anyway.  Thought that went out with the dinosuars???   :-D
The dinosaurs have not all gone yet.
Some of us are still alive and kicking :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
HARRUUUMPH ! !

The last time I put a titleblock in my model was in 1994.

BREZI

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »
The dinosaurs have not all gone yet.
Some of us are still alive and kicking :-)

:-D

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
What happens when the drawings are to scale vs Not to scale?

To scale = scaled viewport @recognised scale.
Not to scale = scaled 1:1
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

adalea03

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 06:01:41 AM »
I use a titleblock with several layers (each named according to sheet name).
Each layer has all the necessary attributes for holding pertinent info.
The TB is xrefed (paperspace) by each dwg in the project.
I simply freeze all of the layers that I don't want to see in each dwg.
I wrote a routine to edit the raw TB as project data changed.
Thus all the project dwgs reference one TB and each is managed by simple
layer switching.