Author Topic: Name That Road Block  (Read 9008 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Name That Road Block
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »
Greg, I think that you also misinterpreted what I was saying, but I can see why since I really didn't explain it fully.

My gripe with those that haven't upgraded is more towards those that are still using anything prior to LDT3, as that is what most of my work is still done in. Yes, I have C3D2007 but I have yet to learn it well enough to even think about using for full time use......hence my roadblock item #1 & #2. Item #3 is more of a direct result of the first 2....if I really wanted to (or could) use C3D I would, in a heart beat, because what I have been able to use just knocks the socks off anything LDT can do. But, alas, I must point you back to those items 1 & 2..... :(

Oh, and I enjoy reading your rants. It often times does give me a different perspective. However, this one survey company that flat refuses to move into the new century, I have worked with/for for almost 30 years. I KNOW their financial situation and mindset. Shoot, the financial doesn't even come into play because they are on subscription so they HAVE the software, they just refuse to use it because what they've been using works for them....nevermind the rest of the world must jump through hoops to get drawings to them. I get at least one email a week from them asking me to convert a newer drawing back down to R14 for them. So yeah, again, I think they are out of date.......to emphasize this, their 'bookkeeping' software for their billing & proposals expired in 1988 so 2 of their 3 computers all provide drawings dated sometime 1988 in order for them tp keep using said software......  :|
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:36:46 PM by Jeff_M »

LE

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »
Greg, I think that you also misinterpreted what I was saying, but I can see why since I really didn't explain it fully.

My gripe with those that haven't upgraded is more towards those that are still using anything prior to LDT3, as that is what most of my work is still done in. Yes, I have C3D2007 but I have yet to learn it well enough to even think about using for full time use......hence my roadblock item #1 & #2. Item #3 is more of a direct result of the first 2....if I really wanted to (or could) use C3D I would, in a heart beat, because what I have been able to use just knocks the socks off anything LDT can do. But, alas, I must point you back to those items 1 & 2..... :(

Oh, and I enjoy reading your rants. It often times does give me a different perspective. However, this one survey company that flat refuses to move into the new century, I have worked with/for for almost 30 years. I KNOW their financial situation and mindset. Shoot, the financial doesn't even come into play because they are on subscription so they HAVE the software, they just refuse to use it because what they've been using works for them....nevermind the rest of the world must jump through hoops to get drawings to them. I get at least one email a week from them asking me to convert a newer drawing back down to R14 for them. So yeah, again, I think they are out of date.......to emphasize this, their 'bookkeeping' software for their billing & proposals expired in 1988 so 2 of their 3 computers all provide drawings dated sometime 1988 in order for them tp keep using said software......  :|

WOW ! - rock & roll - that's what I call progress...... [not related at all: the first light bulbes were able to work for 30 years.....] - excuse the intromission

LE

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 06:03:53 PM »
And just to put some dots over the i's... in Latin America and basically Mexico, the C3D application has very little acceptance and worst sales.

People from AutoDesk has asked his competition to write their modules (from the competition) base on the C3D platform... in order to make it available.

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
 :realmad:   :realmad:   :realmad: . . .

NOTE FROM DINOSAUR

These are actual quotes slightly edited for content.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:55:25 PM by DinØsaur »

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 09:57:14 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the information!

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 08:39:11 AM »
Dats a lotta uh.... "smileys"  Dino.    :-D

Dinosaur

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »
They aren't "smileys" when they are coming out of his mouth.  The air turns a DEEP shade of blue!  :lmao:

Dent Cermak

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 09:01:54 AM »
Here we go again and I am getting confused again. BUT that is a natural state of events so it's cool.
Here we are saying that Civil3d may be the "Be All - End All" for engineers, but it leaves us surveyors and mappers hanging in the wind. Then our august friends from Civil3D.com come on and say "No, No, we can do it and we can show you how.".
Do you suppose that the previously identified "Lack of training" may be the culprit. Are we trying to make civil3D be LDD?
I have Acad2007/civil3d on the shelf. Before I load it, it may be a good idea to get Bigbossman to spring for the bucks for the training CD's. (My apologies to the guys that hire out for training classes, but you only tell me ONCE. As you know, telling me anything once, is not enough. I forget what I do not use for more than 15 minutes. Terminal CRS.)
I would highly rec comend the training CD's from AGT. Even I can understand them. And you can train a bunch of folks with them.
I wish those that come in here telling us that we are missing something would fill in the voids. I thought that was the purpose of this forum. I realize some make their living doing this, but an occasional hint would be nice. And who knows, if you show me that you can get your points across to me, then maybe I can get Bigbossman to send me to one of your training classes.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 10:33:21 AM »
And who knows, if you show me that you can get your points across to me, then maybe I can get Bigbossman to send me to one of your training classes.
Hi Dent,
I'm not one of those that makes a living off the software, I'm just trying to make a living using it. For surveying, this may be of interest to you: Survey Demo

Dinosaur

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 11:02:37 PM »
Great, y'all liked this topic more than I thought you might.  There are some very good responses in here now, but there must be a few more specific things Civil 3D does or doesn't do while you are working with it that seems to just shut the door on going further with it. 
Here is a brand new issue I get to start figuring out first thing Monday.  It goes under the general heading of the absurd reviewer comments that need to be addressed no matter what your design software wants to do.
The agency reviewing the sanitary sewer plans for my newest Civil 3D project has a new requirement that must be addressed on the profile section of our plans.  I am sure that there is some rational use for the information, but it affects the basic design of the sewer and I have no idea how to get the required information or how to even be sure that my design will meet  the criteria.  In addition to a normal design with the drop of the pipe inverts shown in the center of the structure and slopes calculated accordingly, I also must show the elevations of the pipe inverts at the manhole walls and the difference in elevation can not exceed 0.50 feet.  At this point I still need to confirm if they want this information based on the inside or outside face of the structure.  I think this MIGHT be possible with an expression in 2007, but this must remain in 2006.

MMccall

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »
With 2006 being the first implementation of pipes there aren't too many options. All I can come up with is placing some profile view labels at the locations where the pipe and structure walls intersect and then some linear dimensions (scale set at 0.1) to check/note the in/out total drop.  Unfortunately you'd have to place each one of these manually and without the benefit of snapping to these locations. (just zoom and eyeball it)

2007 could probably do better by using an expression to calc. the invert based on the pipe slope and a static distance from the end, and also calc. the vertical difference of the two.

Dinosaur

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 10:44:34 PM »
Thanks MMcall, I guess I will be testing that theory sooner rather than later with THESE recent developments.  I can feel a lot of new questions begging to be posted hopefully with some discoveries to share.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 08:03:45 AM »
Dino

How is the memory usage in 07? Is it still the hog 06 is?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 12:38:06 PM »
Dino

How is the memory usage in 07? Is it still the hog 06 is?

I have an empty 2007 drawing that has been setting on idle for about 5 minutes and the memory usage shows about 235k and steady.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »
Here's a pic of my memery usage. The first acad.exe instance is LDT3 with a drawing that mimics the one open in the second acad.exe which is C3D2007. The drawing is of a project: 22 acres, 171 lots, 13 alignments & profiles, 2 surfaces and 1 corridor that comes in at ~4mb.

I've noticed that the memory stays real close to this no matter how long I'm in the drawing, EXCEPT when I'm about to witness the funny little message box that contains those 2 words that we all dread.....FATAL ERROR.  Fortunately, I see that only once or twice every couple days, and it is most always preceded by me doing something that I know I shouldn't have.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:48:24 PM by Jeff_M »