Author Topic: Why do you civil and surveyors still scale geometry  (Read 24625 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Why do you civil and surveyors still scale geometry
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »
That nickname is no problem it Dino's that I take issue with.  Just becasue of a few bad apples, jeez.   :-D
Dont take it personally.  I have heard the Architects called much worse. (Sometimes deserved, other times not)
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
That nickname is no problem it Dino's that I take issue with.  Just becasue of a few bad apples, jeez.   :-D
Dont take it personally.  I have heard the Architects called much worse. (Sometimes deserved, other times not)

No problem.  I sometimes use them myself when confering with my architects.  I call them artist, winds them everytime.   :lmao:

Onetime I asked one of them what drugs he was using when he went on his vision quest for this project.  The look on his face was priceless.  I harass them all the time and they harass me like wise.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 05:33:38 PM »

Onetime I asked one of them what drugs he was using when he went on his vision quest for this project. 

Peyote ?   :evil:

There were many buffalo before the talking artichokes.....  :-D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:38:52 PM by PHX cadie »
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 05:59:07 PM »
On a good side of architects, they can put together ideas that lot's of other people just can't see or concieve.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »
Oh Greg, you break me up ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »
On a good side of architects, they can put together ideas that lot's of other people just can't see or concieve.
And it's the rest of us that have to make it fit/function/not fall down...... :-)

LE

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »
And it's the rest of us that have to make it fit/function/not fall down......

there must be an exception....   :pissed:  :realmad:  :police:  :lmao:

I have corrected a lot of stuff coming from engineers (of all types) from simple calculations to complex ones.......  :-P

and no, I am not taking anything personal EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:22:20 PM by LE »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »
And it's the rest of us that have to make it fit/function/not fall down...... :-)
  Hey part of that is my job.  I have always said " I keep the rain out of the architects dreams" meaning provide correct flashing details and also make sure the cabinets that are specified fit in the space allowed.  I love creating details that are smaller that 1/2" = foot.   The architects and the interior decorators can have all the artsy stuff. 

I have corrected a lot of stuff coming from engineers (of all types) from simple calculations to complex ones.......  :-P
and no, I am not taking anything personal EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  LOL I too have reined in the engineers for being too conservative in a particular area that I need extra room.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »
there must be an exception.... 
Of course there are, especially those that CAN see ALL sides of the building, which includes what is under & around it. Based on your background and small text comments I suspect you fall into this category. :)

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 08:30:47 PM »
It just seems to me that when you are working with an architect, civil engineer, surveyour etc.
Sit down and talk to each other, understand where your other team members are coming from. This has cut down on problems with projects I have worked on in the past.

However there are still those (and I've scene them on both sides of this argument) that will not or do not work well with others.
(I.E. - I don't care how YOU do it MY way is the best!)
While this may be the case occasionally, team work and compromise more often than not will achieve a superior product for the CLIENT who pays the bills.

And in conclusion a very fitting quote "Why can't WE, ALL just get along!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 08:36:34 PM by Slim© »
I drink beer and I know things....

CADaver

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »
I don’t care in what format it is but (because maybe I was always told this) but draw 1 unit to 1 unit regardless of what the format of measurements is.
Exactly.  The problem arises when the surveyors work with 1 unit = 1' and the archies work with 1 unit = 1"
OK, We have a problem and have identified it.  Is there a viable solution other than each discipline converting the others drawings as we are currently doing?  I am stuck with my data format and software requirements as are the archtichoke types.
Well for me it's not a real problem.  I learned to muliply in the 3rd grade. :-P  But snidiness aside, we use XREFs and deermine the 0,0 orign at survey, there's no "figuring it out" later.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
I don’t care in what format it is but (because maybe I was always told this) but draw 1 unit to 1 unit regardless of what the format of measurements is.
Exactly.  The problem arises when the surveyors work with 1 unit = 1' and the archies work with 1 unit = 1"
OK, We have a problem and have identified it.  Is there a viable solution other than each discipline converting the others drawings as we are currently doing?  I am stuck with my data format and software requirements as are the archtichoke types.
Well for me it's not a real problem.  I learned to muliply in the 3rd grade. :-P  But snidiness aside, we use XREFs and deermine the 0,0 orign at survey, there's no "figuring it out" later.

Agreed   :-)
I drink beer and I know things....

Dinosaur

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »
In reality, there is not really very much of a problem unless you are picky about text orientation and need to see some of the other guy's stuff.  As mentioned, xrefs take care of most of the problems once established.  Even if someone flat out moves the model, changes the units and rotates everything to "plan north" before sending me back my drawing, I can get it back where I need it in a few quick steps.  Communication helps, but most of our collaboration efforts just show up one day and reappear the same way a few weeks after we send it out.  There are zero face to face meetings and usually not even a signed transmittal so we know who to ask questions of.

LE

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 10:29:41 PM »
there must be an exception.... 
Of course there are, especially those that CAN see ALL sides of the building, which includes what is under & around it. Based on your background and small text comments I suspect you fall into this category. :)

As all humans - we all make mistakes -  no one is perfect.....  :-) <--- wow, very philosophic words I'm using - yikes

and yep no problem at all
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:13:44 AM by LE »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
In reality, there is not really very much of a problem unless you are picky about text orientation and need to see some of the other guy's stuff.  As mentioned, xrefs take care of most of the problems once established.  Even if someone flat out moves the model, changes the units and rotates everything to "plan north" before sending me back my drawing, I can get it back where I need it in a few quick steps.
  Same here if I know what happen and xrefs definitely makes it easier.

Communication helps, but most of our collaboration efforts just show up one day and reappear the same way a few weeks after we send it out.  There are zero face to face meetings and usually not even a signed transmittal so we know who to ask questions of.
exactly here and the bad part of it is that the architect is suppose to be directing the consultants and flow of information.  And it never happens because of "there-is-never-enough-time-to-do-things-right". In the defense of my architects, they are managing 20 or so projects as various phases and what-not.  Things get lost because they are so freaking busy.  One of the changes in my firm is the senior draftsmen’s now have a greater responsibility for the flow of information pertaining to the construction documents.  IN reality we already had a more intimate knowledge of the nuts & bolts of project than the architects.  So it was a good change for us.