Author Topic: Order of Elevations ??  (Read 7743 times)

Strucmad

Order of Elevations ??
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:34 AM »
O.k. heres the story I draw mainly buildings of varying shapes and sizes and usually slap the elevations on the same or seperate sheet. Never really thought of the 'correct' order, just what fitted the sheet nice.
Do people work to a standard when arranging elevations. ie. N,E,W,S `clockwise' or whatever ? (see simple pic)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Order of Elevations ??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »
For us, it is generally accepted that the "FRONT" elevation is the first elevation .. we do not label the elevations by ordinal compass points, many times the elevation would not properly fit those labels, thus it is more appropriate to label them according to the use of the structure .. i.e. Front, Rear, Right, Left ...

We typically place the front and right side elevations on one sheet and the rear and left side on another sheet.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
I'm with Keith,

We label by elevation i.e. Front Rear etc....  However, we do follow one rule when arranging plans.  The main plan on that sheet will reside on the right half of the page so that when the guys in the field are folding through the set they usually only fold the sheet half way so the left half of the sheet usually doesn't get opened unless there is a detail that needs to be looked at.

We also show the main plan at 1/4:1 and all other plans at 1/8:1

We build Residential homes and use D size sheets
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »
Heck, most of the time our homes won't even fit a D-Sized sheet at 1/8:1

Have you ever tried putting a 14k s.f. home on D-Size paper?

Birdy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 08:41:07 AM »
Scale to fit?
  :)
<runs away....fastly>

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »
matchlines, Keith.. :p

We use North/South/East/West elevations... generally we have one sheet dedicated to the elevations because we do mostly industrial stuff, and warehouses get big... also we often have more than one building on a facility, so we'll have an elevation sheet for each building..

We don't really follow a "rule" but I generally (and others follow my lead) put the "main" elevation (where the business end is) first, then put the opposite side next, followed by East then West, or North then South.

That's when they all fit nicely on one sheet, anyhow.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:41 AM »
  I put the Front/Back on one sheet. Right/Left on another. But then I have no one to answer to.  :-D

Residential.  D-size (1/4") and tabloid (1/8")

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »

:-D :-D

I am wrapping up a building that could fit on a D size plans @ 1/4"=1'.  The first in 3 years in me think.  Mostly I have been doing 3/16", 1/8", 3/32" & 1/16" on D size.  :realmad:  Very Frustrating. 

O.k. heres the story I draw mainly buildings of varying shapes and sizes and usually slap the elevations on the same or seperate sheet. Never really thought of the 'correct' order, just what fitted the sheet nice.
Do people work to a standard when arranging elevations. ie. N,E,W,S `clockwise' or whatever ? (see simple pic)

Typical our elevations are spread out over many sheets so we try to lay them out in logical order however the order can change from project.  However; we try to place the front elevations as the first elevation.    We label ours both in both formats i.e. "Front Building Elevation (North)".  Apparently some our consultants and contractors can only think in one format or the other and can not do the conversion/crossover.  :ugly:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:06:32 AM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:15:19 PM »

Our larger homes 8K+ get each elevation on a seperate sheet
Our Townhouses get fronts on one sheet and side and rears on another
Smaller houses get all elevations on one sheet, as described.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Strucmad

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 06:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies, basically what I thought, different for most people , offices, and clients requirements, but front elevation whether it be north,
south, takes precedence over others.
sometimes on tricky buildings I struggle to decide what is the front .. :ugly:

Scale to fit?
  :)
<runs away....fastly>
I can just here the contractor on site - when i scale of the drawing, it should have fit :-D

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 10:15:17 PM »
I can just here the contractor on site - when i scale of the drawing, it should have fit :-D

Which is why we always tell the contractor, in writing that they are NOT to scale the drawings for dimensions, however they may scale them for estimating purposes ... nevermind that when paper stretches and or humidity changes, the scale will no longer be exact.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »
matchlines, Keith.. :p

We use North/South/East/West elevations... generally we have one sheet dedicated to the elevations because we do mostly industrial stuff, and warehouses get big... also we often have more than one building on a facility, so we'll have an elevation sheet for each building..

We don't really follow a "rule" but I generally (and others follow my lead) put the "main" elevation (where the business end is) first, then put the opposite side next, followed by East then West, or North then South.

That's when they all fit nicely on one sheet, anyhow.

Same boat here.