Author Topic: Civ3d 06 - Pipes show but Structures Don't  (Read 3316 times)

CTMill

• Newt
Civ3d 06 - Pipes show but Structures Don't
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »
When I turn off the obj layer that my pipe networks were created on, the structures vanish but the pipes don't.  How can I get the structures to show up without turning on that layer?
Civ3d/A2K16

Cannon

Re: Civ3d 06 - Pipes show but Structures Don't
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »
Within Prospector, expand down to your structure list. Then right-click on one of the structures and look at Edit Style. Are you using a block to represent your structures, or a object outline? If you're using a block, it might be possible to have that block defined on another layer that isn't turned off and might still show.

I guess the question I have is, if you want to show structures and pipes, why not turn on the network's parent layer?

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:20:17 AM »
There was also an issue in 2006 where structures with the the individual components making up the structures were created on the current layer at that time rather than the layer specified.  I had several manholes once that would not plot beaus the layer current when they were created was set to no plot.  I only found this after exploding them down to the individual pieces.

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
I will take a closer look at the structure and both of your keep your comments in mind.

And I wanted the networks off because these aren't design objects.  These are existing utilities that run the whole length of my project.  I really didn't spend much time making them look professional in plan view.  This was just to save time on my sections. 

And to see how much potential Civ3d really has.
Civ3d/A2K16

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »
You may want to check the layer you network was created on.  If something other than "0" you may not have enough flexibility to turn those pipes off.  If you try the layer "0" experiment, be sure to control the layers with on-off controls instead of freeze-thaw.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:54:17 PM by DinØsaur »

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »
Dino & Jwedding:
In sections I am unable to explode the objects or they vanish even with all layers on and thawed.  So I can't really check what layers are in the block.  And I am using Struct_junction, 54" ID Manhole, and Boundshape_Cylinder for the structure. 

Clarify my situation:
I designed my network on Junk1 (for example) in plan view.  Then the networks use Junk2 for the section views.  But Junk1 is controlling the visibility of my structures (not pipes) in my sections?!?! 

So my only problem is with Junk1 controlling section view objects when it shouldn't.  (And I believe I did have Junk1 as the current layer when I drew my sections.)  With that being said, I will accept Dino's reply as a strong possibility.

Dino:
I can still turn on/off all pipes/structures using Junk2.  So I still have the flexibility.

Thank you for your time and thought.  I can live with it "as-is" for now, unless you have more ideas/suggestions.
Civ3d/A2K16

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 07:09:58 PM »
. . . I can still turn on/off all pipes/structures using Junk2.  So I still have the flexibility . . .
But can you turn either one on - off independent of the other?  This is the capability I am referring to with these complex objects on layer "0".   Also, what is the setting for the default in your drawing settings?  This setting can trump whatever you set in your styles and command settings.

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
I have been using Civ3d 06 for only a month and a half, so could you spell this out. 

Where exactly would I be able to have independent control of the pipe network parts?  Section View Properties?  Pipe network properties?

And where would I find the drawing settings you are referring to?

Civ3d/A2K16

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
All of the main drawing settings are found under the settings tab for ToolSpace.  Highlight the drawing you are working in and right click.  If you have not already done so, there are several settings you can set or change under those tabs.  The object Layer tab is the one you need for this task.  What you see listed here depends on what template was used for your drawing.  If everything is set to "0", you started with acad.dwt and there is no need to do anything further except check the box at the bottom for immediate and independent layer control.  At this point my layer "0" advice is moot and can be ignored.  If there are layer names present, find the ones for pipes and pipe networks, make them "0" and check the little box I described earlier.  This should create any new pipes and networks on "0" and the individual components on layers specified in your style should be able to be turned off and on independent of each others' settings.

Existing pipes and networks should be able to be selected and their layers changed to "0" for the same control.  The trouble is what you have set for things in your styles and what you have for the default layer settings in the commands settings for those styles.  All of these could be at odds with each other and fighting for control.  Try to make them consistant for what you are trying to accomplish with visibility.  There is a chance that all of these are set to layer "0" as well.  This may actually be what you are shooting for, so leave them alone for now if they are.  Now check you drawing and play with the individual layers for your styles and see if you can turn them all off and on individually.

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
Thank you for elaborating.  It looks like I do have some layering conflicts.  Not everything is set to 0.  And I think a couple may be contradicting my settings.  I started with the grading design model template.  but I made changes to settings thinking it would help but now I think I overcomplicated things a bit.  When I have more time I will try to experiment and see if it improves what I created.   :lol:
Civ3d/A2K16

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »
This Layer "0" thing may not be a final solution either, but you may be able to sort things out with it.  These Civil 3D objects act just like complex blocks with entities on multiple layers.
I am still not sure of the best way to deal with layers and object visibility in Civil 3D.  I make extensive use of xrefs which has complicated the entire process of choosing visibility by layer.  One thing I want to establish is a method to use stb files for plotting, but I am not sure if that would make the situaton better or worse.

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »
Its not....but its a place to start.  I noticed their block behavior early on, but didn't realize things would get out of hand like they have.

My conflict is that the layer that these piping objects are on isn't listed in the Object layer drawing setting.  And it is controlling section visibility?!?!  I've moved everything onto layer 0 and turned off the appropriate layers so they won't be visible, but this layer is still behaving the same way.  I've audited and purged many times, always finding and fixing at least one error.  The longer I use/modify/add to what I have, the more unstable this drawing becomes.  (More errors and crashes.) 

I think I am going to look at spreading my Civ3d objects into more models next time around.

For now I'll get by with what I've got.
Civ3d/A2K16