Author Topic: Glass codes in Florida  (Read 4502 times)

CottageCGirl

Glass codes in Florida
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:01:59 AM »
We are finding all the glass doors and skylights that we specify are not meeting the new codes (commercial)  for the Gulf Coast and Florida.  Does anyone know how manufacturers are addressing the new missile resistance codes?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Glass codes in Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:51:02 AM »
Impact resistant glass is one way to handle it, but in areas where the design wind speed is in excess of 130mph, we have found it necessary to specify shutters that may be attached, rolled down, closed or whatever to protect against debris damage.

One thing to keep in mind as well, every fenestration product (among other things) MUST be tested by a Florida approved testing agency, then the results must be submitted to the state for "Product Approval". If the state agency approves the application, the product is assigned a "Product Approval Number" Without these product approval numbers you will not be able to obtain a building permit. You will also not be allowed to use any product that is not approved, even if you have permits. From the agencies I have dealt with, the cost of getting approval for a single product can be as low as $25k and as high as $80k depending upon the number of tests required. It certainly is not for the faint of heart, thats for sure.

If you want to find doors and skylights that are approved, you should check out this page A word of advice is to leave all fields as "Select All" except the product type you are looking for.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

glee

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:55:01 AM »
I think you need to check out the glazing companies to see if they pass the dade county requirements.

Oldcastle and Pilkington are two that provide laminated glass. 

I forget the others.  But you can head over to www.sweets.com and check out the manufacturers there.  I think PPG is another.  I can't remember the others right now.  But sweets is a good resource. 

What type of doors and windows are you looking for? Aluminum or steel frame?  Or wood?

Normally we specify the window manufacturer but specify the glazing type and manufacturer separately.  In a case like that, it's the glazing manufacturer you should contact. 

CottageCGirl

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »
I think you need to check out the glazing companies to see if they pass the dade county requirements.

Oldcastle and Pilkington are two that provide laminated glass. 

I forget the others.  But you can head over to www.sweets.com and check out the manufacturers there.  I think PPG is another.  I can't remember the others right now.  But sweets is a good resource. 

What type of doors and windows are you looking for? Aluminum or steel frame?  Or wood?

Normally we specify the window manufacturer but specify the glazing type and manufacturer separately.  In a case like that, it's the glazing manufacturer you should contact. 

(busy sorry for the delayed response)
We have glass front doors spec'ed and my boss is working w/ the supplier. I assume they will be dealing w/ the problem, since they will loose all their buisness in the region if they dont. So I was just wondering what most mfrs were doing.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:23:45 AM »
Kieth, thanks, that is very helpful info. :-)