Author Topic: VB dot sharp?  (Read 16451 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: VB dot sharp?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
I looked at your plot tracker program and like what I see.  I'm not sure I'll be able to justify it right now but I'm going to work on it.  Any plans to add to it or make another program for submitting files to the plotter.  I am not a very big fan on Request and would love to have the functionality without the memory leakage.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
No plans to connect AutoCAD with PTP.
I do need to re-write my in-house plotting program which is currently written in VB 6.
If plotting in C# works half as good as ActiveX then . . . (what's half of terrible?)

Thanks for the kind words on PTP. My son gets all the credit for the website and all the help plus he was the idea man. I just wrote the code.

=Mark
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

DBARANAS

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 10:43:52 PM »
I found this link that compares the syntax differences between VB and C# and is helpful to me coming from the dark side  :evil:

http://www.harding.edu/USER/fmccown/WWW/vbnet_csharp_comparison.html

While learning the new .net way to do things familiar in the old COM way, most of the examples that I find all over are in C#. So through exposure... C# syntax is becoming more familiar than it used to be.

My question(s) are:

1) Underneath it all is the same .net?

Or can you do more stuff in C# than you can do in VB on top of it?

Do you have better tools and methods to do things?

2) Is it maybe that coming from the C, C++ world it is more like what you are used seeing to I wonder?

3) I am almost ready to jump in :whistle: to stop having to translate examples into VB..... I am so comfortable reading VB code, but there has to be some reason why when doing things in acad.net C# is so dominant.

Those curly braces are the biggest problem reading C  code. They just don't seem to always be in the expected places. I spend more time trying to figure out the {} notation than reading what is inside them.

Dave

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »
My question(s) are:

1) Underneath it all is the same .net?
All .NET languages compile down to MSIL.

If you can do it in C#, you can do it in VB.NET.  (With the exception of unsafe code)

Do you have better tools and methods to do things?
Yes and no.

As far as the VS IDE goes, there are some differences when editing C# and VB code, but nothing that I know of that stands out as a huge benefit for one over the other.  I haven't used other IDE's so I don't know about them.

The one exception to this may be that documentation can be created from XML comments inside C# code.

I just like C# syntax better (I come from a VB6 background).  It's more terse and I think there is much less typing involved.  I've expressed this opinion before and others have disagreed so keep in mind that it is just an opinion. 

2) Is it maybe that coming from the C, C++ world it is more like what you are used seeing to I wonder?
I don't come from that background, but I've heard some that do say that moving into C# is easy for them.

3) I am almost ready to jump in :whistle: to stop having to translate examples into VB..... I am so comfortable reading VB code, but there has to be some reason why when doing things in acad.net C# is so dominant.
I can't really answer the why of your question, but I do find that many of the truly experienced developers using .NET and providing help in the public forums prefer C#.  You don't have to look any further than The Swamp to see that.  I have also found that this is not the case for developers in general.  Most prefer VB...
Bobby C. Jones

Glenn R

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2006, 11:06:21 PM »
If you can do it in C#, you can do it in VB.NET.  (With the exception of unsafe code)

Sort of. VB will do some little magic things here and there that are a manual affair for C#, however one BIG exception between the 2 is that I believe VB does NOT have anonymous methods/delegates and doesn't look like getting them in .NET 3.0 either (I could be wrong)...or so I read somewhere. There are probably others.

Cheers,
Glenn.