Author Topic: VB dot sharp?  (Read 16411 times)

Bob Wahr

VB dot sharp?
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »
Many of you are all too familiar with my programming (dis)abilities which should help you answer my question.

I've decided that it's time to bite the bullet and start doing this .net stuff.  OK, it's been on my to do list for quite some time, I just haven't really had the time to devote, or the project to do it on.  Do you (yes, if you're reading this, I'm talking to you) think that I should go with some VB .net or should I go more towards the ARX of the C#venant?

TR

Re: VB dot sharp?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »
C#.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 04:38:54 PM »
As they creep a little higher.

How much harder will C# be than VB .net coming from a VBAVB direction?

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
Do you (yes, if you're reading this, I'm talking to you) think that I should go with some VB .net or should I go more towards the ARX of the C#venant?
Either will work.  In fact you've got quite a few more choices than just VB & C#.  Here's a site that I just found with a quick google search http://dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

I believe that most of the regulars in the swamp prefer C# (I do), but that is *completely* opposite of what I've found with acad developers in general.

How much harder will C# be than VB .net coming from a VBAVB direction?
Learning language syntax is the easy part  :evil:
Bobby C. Jones

TR

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »
IMHO VB.NET isn't that similiar to VB/VBA at all. You're better off with C#.

Draftek

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:18:03 PM »
I migrated to C#, from VB/VBA and I don't want to go back.

But as Bobby mentioned in the other post, don't bite off a big project. I had to throw away 3 months of work and start over recently.....

LE

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
opposite of what I've found with acad developers in general.

Do you want to share what you found?  :-)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »
I assumed that they preferred VB.net

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
I found C# to be a lot like VBA which made my transition very easy.  Being self taught in VBA and C#, I had a really hard time learning vba coming from LISP, but C# from VBA was really easy.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bob Wahr

Hello World: Accessing ObjectARX .NET Wrappers
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
Dear Diary,

Downloaded the labs today.  Tomorrow I'm going to take them out for a ride.  Maybe we'll go to the zoo.

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:33:25 PM »
I've just been learning c++ for 6 years, by the time I am comfortable and proficient with it, it will be obsolete.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
I've just been learning c++ for 6 years, by the time I am comfortable and proficient with it, it will be obsolete.

Don't believe the hype!!  Besides, a lot of what you've been learning will be helpful in a variety of other languages including C#.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 08:59:43 PM »
Learn them all Bob, you know you want to.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 03:25:13 AM »
C# definately! < snicker >

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
opposite of what I've found with acad developers in general.

Do you want to share what you found?  :-)
At an ADN conference several years ago, when the acad .NET API was shiny and new, Microsoft had donated some C#.NET and some VB.NET books for adesk to give away.  The VB books went *fast*, the C# books where around for quite some time after the conference ended.  Although they all did eventually get snatched up.  This was my first exposure to this phenomenon.

Sometime after that I sat in on an adesk webcast on the .NET API.   They had a poll on what languages the attendees where using.  VB was the big winner.

And at all of my AU classes I have asked for a show of hands for who is using VB.NET and who is using C#.  The overwhelming majority is always VB.  But I still do all my examples in C#  :evil:  (I may include some VB examples this year)

Modified: Removed "if they accept my proposal for ".  Yeah!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:26:58 AM by Bobby C. Jones »
Bobby C. Jones