Author Topic: Elevation labels  (Read 2289 times)

ryandk

Elevation labels
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:48:38 AM »
I had originally posted this to Autodesk's forum on Wednesday but go no responses.  I can't tell whether nobody  knows the answer or if it is just not possible and they don't want to tell me.  I'm using adt but I figure this is a vanilla cad related question so I posted it in here.  It's a pretty simple question and I should probably already know the answer.

In an elevation label I have, the horizontal line I have graphically separating the height from the other attribute values is not long enough for lengthy words or long values for the height.

I tried to use the default autodesk labels but their line does not lenthen either.

What I'm wondering, is if there is a way to have that line either automatically extend to the end of the attributes or a way upon insertion to manually tell it where to end?

I hope this isn't to incoherent.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dave R

Re: Elevation labels
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »
Depends on the version of AutoCAD you are using. If you are using 2006 or higher you can create a Dynamic Block to extend the line by stretching it. You would do this manually after inserting the block. Otherwise you would need to do this programatically by figuring out the width of the text and then drawing a line under it to suit.

I had originally posted this to Autodesk's forum on Wednesday but go no responses.  I can't tell whether nobody  knows the answer or if it is just not possible and they don't want to tell me.  I'm using adt but I figure this is a vanilla cad related question so I posted it in here.  It's a pretty simple question and I should probably already know the answer.

In an elevation label I have, the horizontal line I have graphically separating the height from the other attribute values is not long enough for lengthy words or long values for the height.

I tried to use the default autodesk labels but their line does not lenthen either.

What I'm wondering, is if there is a way to have that line either automatically extend to the end of the attributes or a way upon insertion to manually tell it where to end?

I hope this isn't to incoherent.

Thanks,
Ryan

ryandk

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »
I use 2004.  Actually, as you described it in 2006 is what somebody had come up and asked if I could get it to do (stretch the line after insertion).

Not have 2006 though, I might be at a loss.  I'll see if anyone else has an idea.  If not, I'll just assume I can't do it from within my limitations here at the office.

Thanks,
Ryan

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »
How about posting a sample dwg with the offending elevation tag.
Are you using plain autocad?
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
We insert the block from a pull down menu and then add a line so you can stretch that to what you want.
Here is the way we used to do it within a menu.
[1   Full  ]^C^C-i;../reference/reftitle.dwg;s;1;\;;;;FULL SIZE;;;;^C^Cchprop;last;;color;magenta;la;t-notes&dims;;line;@;\;^C^Cchprop;last;;color;magenta;la;t-notes&dims;;

Kate M

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:54:58 PM »
We underline our attributes to get longer lines -- it's a little tedious to set up, but you can figure out the distance between the bottom of the text and the underline, then position your attribute appropriately. Short of dynamic blocks, it's the best I came up with.

grush

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 04:43:45 PM »
I have my text justification set to FIT for all three attributes. It seems do work out 97% of the time.
I am having a hard time posting the image, so I attached it; I hope.

Leave me alone, it's 4:40 on a Friday afternoon. :laugh:

Pete

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »
Well that must be an example of one that does work.
Looks like using the FIT option the text should allways be squeezed into the space defined.
Can you post an example of on that does not behave?
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Luke

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
If anybody is still watching this post...

If anybody cares...

Here is a version...

This was created for 2006 before annotative text & dims and what not...