Author Topic: Rtext issue  (Read 1728 times)

Shinyhead

Rtext issue
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
OK, this problem is making me crazy.  We have a client who has a bit of rtext in his titleblock to act as a plotstamp.  We are on 08 as our working software.

Now, here is the problem, rtext is an arx object, and it varies by version.  The client uses different versions of acad in his office (a mix of 06 to 08), and often the rtext does not show up, depending on which desk they are sitting at when they open the file.  I am a pretty reasonable person, but it is getting old to tell them over and over and over that we cannot control which desk they choose to sit in when they open a file, and we cannot predict what they are going to do.   If they use an older seat, we are supposed to open up one of the few 05 seats still installed and resave it, and resend it, but if they open it in an 08 seat, if we do that, it has to be opened and saved with a copy of 08.  No, saving back does not work either, we tried that.

We have begged them to update the plotstamp to anything but rtext, but they do not seem to understand, and its starting to become an issue with time spent "fixing" what they say is our problem.    :realmad:

I have sent them links to the developer pages at autodesk that explain that arx apps are different due to the fact the arx needed recompiling.   Am I missing something I can do to get past this?  They of course claim that we are the only sub they have this problem with (we are probably the only ones who are running 08), and I keep telling them that as other subs upgrade the problem will spread, but they think we "broke" the rtext.  The client is always right, but this one is standing on my last nerve at the moment.

Any ideas?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Rtext issue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »
Why don't you recreate the plot stamp with fields and send it to them?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Shinyhead

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
I have offered to do that, at my own cost, and the cad manager there is VERY against the idea, I still have not heard why, just that he does not want to do that. 

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
I don't know then ... seems like the guy needs a swift kick in the ding ding. :-D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Shinyhead

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
 :-D  That much I know.  I am thinking of having the boss make a cost code called versioning I can have our drafters clock in under everytime they have to deal with this.  Then after a month or so have our boss send that bill to their owners attention with a careful explanation of why they are getting that bill.  :evil:

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
Bill 'em for it... large.

Shinyhead

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:41:38 PM »
Might be the only way to get the point across unfortunately.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
I don't know then ... seems like the guy needs a swift kick in the ding ding. :-D

Kick him in the ding ding and the Cha-ching.

LE

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
ding ding ?

The new words, one learns here.... that is culture!   :-)