Author Topic: Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE  (Read 39667 times)

hyposmurf

Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2004, 03:48:08 PM »
Were consultants to and dont use dimmensions,was beginning to think we were the only company.That is weird you draw a scale drawing and still have to dimension it. :)

t-bear

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2004, 05:16:05 PM »
......we are consultants, not builders.......

Ahhhh an insultant!  I've had to work around them before!   PITB....... LOL  And all this time I thought you were DRAFTers......silly me!

hyposmurf

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2004, 02:53:13 PM »
Someone's gotta keep you on your toes,make your job seem more challenging :lol:

Royalchill

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2005, 08:31:53 AM »
Here at our company we put everything in model space. After a job goes out you may have many revisions later, it's much easier to make 8.5x11 sketches. We save our sheet as a new layout, bring in our sketch border, stretch the view port to fit, bam out the door.

whdjr

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2005, 08:56:24 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
hmmm...  How do you handle layer control when annotating different scales? ...

We have a different layer for each scale and thus we have almost 200 layers in our template dwg.

CADaver

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:34 PM »
Quote from: Royalchill
We save our sheet as a new layout, bring in our sketch border, stretch the view port to fit, bam out the door.
Same can be done with PS annotation.

CADaver

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »
Quote from: whdjr

We have a different layer for each scale and thus we have almost 200 layers in our template dwg.
So you have to play a freeze thaw game in all the viewports to make sure you have the right layers shown in the right viewport?  Seems counter-productive to me.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2005, 09:36:26 PM »
no more so than 200 layers

daron

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2005, 07:53:11 AM »
I'm limited to using pspace for printing only. Everything is drawn in mspace. I'm the only one who uses pspace, even though the others draw everything already set to take advantage of pspace. While they're turning layers on and off all the time, all I have to do is select a tab. At the same rate, I have no idea why anybody would put anything except viewports in pspace.

whdjr

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »
Quote from: whdjr

So you have to play a freeze thaw game in all the viewports to make sure you have the right layers shown in the right viewport?  Seems counter-productive to me.

It's not too terible if the Layerstates are set up properly before hand, but definitely not the ideal solution.

CADaver

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »
Quote from: daron
I have no idea why anybody would put anything except viewports in pspace.
Okay fair question.  I have a 3D structure that's 40'-50' wide, 200' long and 50' high.  Columns spaced 30' wide and at 20'-25' down the length of the structure.  No two column lines have the same configuration, depending on where you are there may be 4 to 7 different levels of steel.

Now I have to annotate, four or five plan views of this model at 1/8" scale, 3 or 4 enlarged plans at 1/4" scale, two longitudinal and nine transverse sections at 1/8", misc enlarged sections in both directions at 1/4", dozen details at 1/2"(looking 3 directions), and twenty details at 1" scale (looking 3 directions).

To make sure the the annotation layers can be frozen in the right viewports I need a set of annotation layers (we use 2 one for text, one for dims) for each of the following:
1/8" plan
1/4" plan
1/2" plan
1" plan
1/8" section looking north
1/8" section looking west
1/4" section looking north
1/4" section looking west
1/2" section looking north
1/2" section looking west
1" section looking north
1" section looking west
That's 12 sets of annotation layers to deal with, making sure that each is properly active at the right time (pretty easy done programatically).  But imagine the display of several tons of steel overlaid with hundreds dimensions and text elements flying at a multitude of levels and directions in the model.  Each requires it's own UCS to insure it's proper location in the model and these require maintenance as well.  Becomes a PITB to work with in a hurry.

Now only one set of these layers is to be visible in each viewport, so an inordinate amout of time is expended on keeping the layer display under control over 10-12 layouts.  The PITB becomes regal.

Throw in a revision or two that relocate a couple of col. lines or changes the elevation of a plan, and the PITB spreads to vital organs

Better solution:  Model in MODELSPACE, annotation on the paper (in PAPERSPACE) requires only ONE set of annotation layers, NO UCS requirements at all and NO layer visibility issues at all.

daron

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2005, 12:06:52 AM »
And that is why you really can't say that anyone's ONE way, is the best or only way. Thank you Randy. My head is now sufficiently spinning, but in the end, I think I understood what you said.

CADaver

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »
Quote from: daron
Thank you Randy. My head is now sufficiently spinning, but in the end, I think I understood what you said.
You oughta try doing a set of drawings like that, yer head'll spin one way while yer eyes spin the other.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »
i cant beleive we are still on this topic but i use model space for most of plans....and use about 20 to 30 layers...thats it...if i used paperspace to draw each floor with layer managers...i would probably have triple the layers...i dont depend on paperspace...but it works for well with layering...thats my opinion

CADaver

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2005, 02:01:57 PM »
Why would the use of PAPERSPACE add any layers to a drawing?  My experience is that it reduces layers by 2/3's