Author Topic: Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE  (Read 39673 times)

PDJ

Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
I have a file with I'd say 25 odd viewports in it.  Total file size is about 6mb.  Running a dual 3ghz with a gig of ram, it takes about 90 seconds to open the drawing.. I went in and made a copy and removed all the viewports and it loads in about 20 seconds.  File size only changes a few hundred K..

CADaver

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2004, 07:17:01 PM »
Quote from: PDJ
I have a file with I'd say 25 odd viewports in it.  Total file size is about 6mb.  Running a dual 3ghz with a gig of ram, it takes about 90 seconds to open the drawing.. I went in and made a copy and removed all the viewports and it loads in about 20 seconds.  File size only changes a few hundred K..
Yep rebuilding the viewport graphics initially may take a little time (minute and a half), but once cached they should pop pretty quick.  

BTW, 90 seconds is fast people, very fast for a large file.  Okay show of hands, who remembers V1.4 on a 8088 processor, 512k RAM, running at a blinding 0.4 MHz...  90 second loads, yeah right, try 45 minutes for a 200K file,
a n d
i t
r e g e n e d
f o r
e v e r y
z o o m
o r
p a n......

yyou

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2004, 01:54:36 PM »
Un-necessary to plot to scale?  How about drawing?  Is it necessary to draw to scale?  Since the dims can tell it all, we can draw the object at any length and made the dim say 3".

CADaver

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 03:29:30 PM »
Quote from: yyou
Un-necessary to plot to scale?  How about drawing?  Is it necessary to draw to scale?  Since the dims can tell it all, we can draw the object at any length and made the dim say 3".
Old arguement, covered several times in this thread, read ALL the posts, answered there.

hyposmurf

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
That kinda cuts his argunent cold :)

xicjrf

Xrefing
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 07:24:29 PM »
Don't you want all anotation in PS so that it does not clutter up your model when you xref?

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2004, 05:30:30 AM »
NO NO NO NO NO.

I have 3 things only in paperspace.

1. The title block.

2. My viewport, created on defpoints layer so it won't plot.

3. any revision clouds so they are easily deleted using a window without endangering anything else on the drawing.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

hyposmurf

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2004, 09:15:47 AM »
I tried putting text in paper space,but it can be a pain in the butt.If you have someone use your drawing afterwards and they unlock the viewport and go into floating model space the scale/drawing postion within the viewport can be accidently be changed.Also what if you wnat multiple viewports,whereby you have to show the text as well.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »
we are still having this discussion?

hyposmurf

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2004, 02:35:17 PM »
I think the discussion has gone on so long that members dont trall all the way through the entire post to see whats been said.Im guilty of that. :) Just skimmed over some of it.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2004, 03:53:14 PM »
ok...well for me it comes down to this.... I just want whatever i plot to come out almost exactly the same whether or not its doen in paper or model.

if there are any changes in the future done by anybody else. it should be the same thing.

CADaver

Re: Xrefing
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2004, 09:59:14 PM »
Quote from: xicjrf
Don't you want all anotation in PS so that it does not clutter up your model when you xref?
I do.

CADaver

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:48 PM »
Quote from: Hudster
NO NO NO NO NO.
I have 3 things only in paperspace.
hmmm...  How do you handle layer control when annotating different scales? ... or views of a 3D model?

CADaver

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2004, 10:06:06 PM »
Quote from: hyposmurf
If you have someone use your drawing afterwards and they unlock the viewport and go into floating model space the scale/drawing postion within the viewport can be accidently be changed.Also what if you wnat multiple viewports,whereby you have to show the text as well.
That's an issue with training, not with the location of annotation, What if someone uses your drawing afterwards and they change it to a design that doesn't work??

Quote from: hyposmurf
Also what if you wnat multiple viewports,whereby you have to show the text as well.
That's the reason we annotate in PS.  We'll have a plan annotated at 1/4" = 1'-0", then we need to zoom in on a corner for a detail at 1" = 1'-0".  If I annotate in MS, I require 2 sets of annotation layers so that one scale won't show through the other.  Throw in 3D, and you can have several dozen annotation layers that must be controlled in each individual viewport.  Now thats a PITB.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2004, 04:00:52 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
hmmm...  How do you handle layer control when annotating different scales? ... or views of a 3D model?

Quite simple.  We don't do either one.
Also we don't dimension, we are consultants, not builders, if you want dimensions you dimension it.  That way if it's wrong it's your fault. :D
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue