Author Topic: basic block editing ?  (Read 3716 times)

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« on: May 17, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »
I can't seem to remember if/how to do this: :oops:

when I have a block drawing open (the orig file, so there are no actual blocks or attributes) and I am editing the attribute information, is there a way to edit the order the attributes will eventually come in- with out waiting to insert the block-then editing it?  
I know the origional insert order defines this but is there a way to edit it without erasing and reinserting?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
basic block editing ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 10:12:36 AM »
If I'm manually creating / editing attributes in a block definition I typically (after performing all edits etc.) copy all the attributes, selecting them one by one (no window/crossing selections) in the order I wish them to appear, using a basepoint and target point of 0,0,0. Then I immediately do a delete previous. This deletes the original attributes which were in willy nilly order, leaving the copy which is ordered exactly the way I want. Been doing it that way for about 15 years now.

Hope that made sense.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

daron

basic block editing ?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »
Wblock it out and select each att in order you want them, then close out, rename old one and rename new one to previous name? That's all I can think of.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
basic block editing ?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »
I just re-read your post and now I think I didn't provide the answer you're looking for. I'll leave it in the remote chance that someone else might benefit from it.

Now then, are you wanting to replicate what attredef does?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Wblock it out and select each att in order you want them, then close out, rename old one and rename new one to previous name? That's all I can think of.

If I am understanding you properly....W block it and use Block Attribute Manager and resave????----That dosent work-the BAM only affects the inserted version not the orig. drawing-it reverts back to the orgi.

did I understand you correctly?

CADaver

basic block editing ?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 11:08:27 AM »
I think what Daron is saying, is the way I do it.  And No he's not talking about WBLOCK "then" BATTMAN".  

Wblock the file, and WHILE your'e selecting the objects for the wblock command, select the attdefs in the order you want them prompted for when inserted.

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »
Quote from: CADaver

Wblock the file, and WHILE your'e selecting the objects for the wblock command, select the attdefs in the order you want them prompted for when inserted.

OH-cool 8) , I'll try that

PS -thanks MP--that did work....Thanks :D

CADaver

basic block editing ?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »
BTW, if you edit the order of the attributes with BATTMAN, then ATTSYNC the attributes, they maintain the new order after wblocking.

In the BATTMAN dialog box in the upper right corner is a buttun with "SYNC" on, that does the same thing as ATTSYNC.

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 11:31:07 AM »
BTW, if you edit the order of the attributes with BATTMAN, then ATTSYNC the attributes, they maintain the new order after wblocking.

Yes, but for my purposes, other people pull in blocks from the origional dwg not from the wblock, so that only works when I make blocks of multiple blocks but not for my individual items
I have a wide array of CAD capable coworkers, so everything has to come in perfectly-meaning- pre-exploded when needed etc..

The meathod MP gave me seems to work great, I really don't need it very often, I just have a few remaining block templates that predate history that I need to update from time-to-time.

but I will check out the SYNC when I get a chance-Thanks :D

Does this mean we are N'SYNC.........
(groan) :roll:

CADaver

basic block editing ?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
Quote from: CottageCGirl

Yes, but for my purposes, other people pull in blocks from the origional dwg not from the wblock, so that only works when I make blocks of multiple blocks but not for my individual items
okay... ummm... lost me there a little.  When I'm working a block then wblock it it, I overwrite the "original file" for the specific purpose of other designers being consistant with what I'm doing.  (A WBLOCK is nothing but a drawing file, no more, no less).  Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "that only works when I make blocks of multiple blocks but not for my individual items "

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 03:38:26 PM »
ok, not being a verbal person, I will try.......

I make a .dwg file (a piece of furniture w/attributes)
then other people bring in the .dwg as a block to their drawings
If I take my drawing and select wblock then select the attributes in a new order and rename it- then insert the new block into my drawing -the attributes seem to prompt in the same order as the origional-am I missing something? :?

I also make .dwg's of multiple blocks which are also brought in, but must be exploded automatically when inserted.

M-dub

basic block editing ?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:40:11 PM »
>If I take my drawing and select wblock then select the attributes in a new order and rename it- then insert the new block into my drawing -the attributes seem to prompt in the same order as the origional-am I missing something?

You have to explode the block first.

...that is, if I read it correctly  :lol:

M-dub

basic block editing ?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 03:41:11 PM »
Then, you have to DDINSERT the block back into your drawing and when it asks if you want to redefine it, say yes.

CottageCGirl

basic block editing ?
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
Then, you have to DDINSERT the block back into your drawing and when it asks if you want to redefine it, say yes.

that still means you are still editing the block as a block and not in it's exploded state---

ugg I dont think I am getting you
but at the same time you are not getting me......

MP's solution worked, so I'm going with that.

I'm on deadline, so we willhave to continue this later  -
Thanks- I hope I can get back to this if it works!

daron

basic block editing ?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »
Okay, let me explain myself:

First, I assumed the drawing is external. I want to spare you having to try and rebuild the old one if this idea doesn't work. Open the raw drawing file. Not the block. The actual drawing file the block originates from. Wblock out to another drawing the contents of the drawing, selecting all objects minus attributed text. Then, in order you want to be prompted, select the attribute text. At whatever point you get a dialog asking you for things like name and folder, place it in the same folder under a different name. Close out the drawing you're in and rename it to something like origdwgname.dwg.old. Next, rename the new drawing to the actual name of the old drawing. Open the drawing you want to insert it into and insert it. You must redefine the block if it already exists in the drawing. If there are any adverse effects, that is what the .old drawing is for. Just delete the new, rename the .old back and reinsert it, redifining it once again. Then come back and tell us what happened that was wrong. My guess is it would be the insbase variable was set wrong on the new one, but we'll wait on that.