Author Topic: Shape File Names  (Read 4547 times)

M-dub

Shape File Names
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Several years ago, I created a few linetypes and named the file with the company name... (D'OH!!! We were bought out last year...)
These linetypes have been used in ... oh man... hundreds of drawings.

It's not a HUGE dilemma, but I wish I would have named the file something else, but ... Lesson learned.

Any suggestions?  Leave it as is?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: Shape File Names
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
Hundreds? Don't you mean thousands? You could batch update them but I'd probably only do it on a demand basis unless the drawings in question are being used on an on going basis.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
Hundreds? Don't you mean thousands? You could batch update them but I'd probably only do it on a demand basis unless the drawings in question are being used on an on going basis.

It probably IS thousands... and that's one option I had thought of... just create a button that automagically fixes the issue when users come to it.  Still thinking...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
I would leave the linetype file as is.
I would further copy and rename said file for use on current and future jobs.
In the end if 'they' have nothing better to do that worry over the name of a linetype file they are focusing their energies in the wrong direction in terms of serving their clients.  And as far as the clients are concerned could really care less what the name of the linetype file is as long as their projects are completed on time and under budget.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »

It probably IS thousands... and that's one option I had thought of... just create a button that automagically fixes the issue when users come to it.  Still thinking...
Don't hurt yourself.   :roll:  ^-^
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
I would leave the linetype file as is.
I would further copy and rename said file for use on current and future jobs.
In the end if 'they' have nothing better to do that worry over the name of a linetype file they are focusing their energies in the wrong direction in terms of serving their clients.  And as far as the clients are concerned could really care less what the name of the linetype file is as long as their projects are completed on time and under budget.

Except that I work for a contractor, AT the client's site, in the "role" of the "Drawing Office Coordinator" and if another contractor sent me a bunch of our drawings back that had messages like "Cannot find file", etc., I would not be happy about it and depending on how many we're talking about, would send 'em back and say Fix it and don't do that again.  (such as the time when they did an entire job in Microstation and save them as AutoCAD files... gave us much grief.)

You're right though... Certain people here don't give a glass of crap about CAD standards... they barely acknowledge the importance of drawings.  Not many like that, but there are a few.

So, back to this situation... I think I WILL leave it as is because this is the fourth time that this company has changed hands and names.  We still have all kinds of drawings on old borders with the previous company names in the title blocks.

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »

Too late...
I stubbed my brain.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:45:26 AM »
I don't think that after the linetype is loaded that the drawing 'forgets' that it is in there unlike fonts.
Someone would need to confirm that for me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »

Too late...
I stubbed my brain.
A couple of cold beers should help that swelling go down. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
I don't think that after the linetype is loaded that the drawing 'forgets' that it is in there unlike fonts.
Someone would need to confirm that for me.

I can't remember either, but was just assuming.  I've made the 'executive' decision to leave it alone, anyway.  ;)

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »

Too late...
I stubbed my brain.
A couple of cold beers should help that swelling go down.

I agree! :-)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Are we talking about shape files (shx), line type files (lin), or shape files with a company name being used in line type files?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
CompanyName.lin, shx, etc.

Really, ANY file with reference to the old company name...

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »
I would rename it dogfart.lin

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
I would rename it dogfart.lin
MonkeyF****r.lin