Author Topic: Anybody have a copy of their company's CAD Handbook?  (Read 5085 times)

StykFacE

Anybody have a copy of their company's CAD Handbook?
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
I have the honor of now creating my company's CAD Handbook. Mostly for record keep & to pass on to new employees. Thing is, I'm looking to see if anybody has a copy on PDF or Word format so I can look over and get an idea/starting point for doing my own for Venture Mechanical.

I already know all the things I want to cover, but I want to do a great job. It will need to be updated to when things change, and I want to have a great starting base so when things do update it will be painless and easy. Can anybody out there hook a brutha up? Thanks!!

- Tannar  :-)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Anybody have a copy of their company's CAD Handbook?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
No, it is in my head
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

jnieman

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
Yea, same as Keith, unfortunately.  I'm trying to put together tools/resources first...

I'd LOVE to see people's CAD manuals though... all I've ever seen was the Army one and some link to a Colorado (iirc) Parks Department.. not anyone's company manual, which I think would be more appropriate.

I'd love to be able to give a newbie something to take home and review.  It's also be a great way to get the newbie to ask questions and be able to train him up to an appropriate level.

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Yea, same as Keith, unfortunately.  I'm trying to put together tools/resources first...

I'd LOVE to see people's CAD manuals though... all I've ever seen was the Army one and some link to a Colorado (iirc) Parks Department.. not anyone's company manual, which I think would be more appropriate.

I'd love to be able to give a newbie something to take home and review.  It's also be a great way to get the newbie to ask questions and be able to train him up to an appropriate level.

Yeah I hear ya.

Here's how it all came about: One of the founder's of my company (of 34 years) passed away last month unexpectedly and he kept a record of his daily, weekly, monthly, and annual tasks. This sparked interest with our presidents and they implemented this same procedure onto us for record keep. After I was filling out my daily, weekly, etc... I found very quickly that I am the ONLY guy here who knows basically everything about our CAD department since I've been hired 2 years ago. And I've completely revamped things over here, and honestly if something were to happen to me, the next guy would be so lost.

So I'm tell my boss this and that I thought it'd be a great idea for me to write all these things down and keep them. Well then he goes a bit further and says,"Why don't you just make our Venture Mechanical CAD Standards Manual, and we'll go have it hard-bound for all future employees."

Well, dang.

So here I am. I'm sure I can do it, but it would be so much better if I could read off of someone's just to get a starting point. Doing things from scratch (with me anyways) usually always results in a do-over. Something I'm trying to avoid at all costs.  8-)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
I've got ours on-line.  It saves quite a bit of time and $$$ because I don't have to print out multiple copies to keep multiple books up to date, and I don't have to waste paper/toner/etc...

Here's a screen shot...
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

jnieman

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
"And I've completely revamped things over here, and honestly if something were to happen to me, the next guy would be so lost."

I hear that.  If I were to get some miracle job offer and had to leave these guys... it would kill me to know how screwed they would be CAD-wise if I left... I'd like to get them to a place where someone else could see my standard setup and either roll on with it, or mold it into something they think is better, rather than starting from scratch.

That sounded really egotistical... but I don't mean to be... they're engineers, they don't -need- to know CAD very well.  It's also hard to find CAD folk of any sort around here.

Strucmad

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
of course styk. your boss has allocated you the extra time needed to do this task.. :evil:

As with a standards manual, I am the same as josh and keith, It's all in the old noggin...
But hey it just me running the whole damn show here, so if I break the rules, I have to give myself an upper cut. :lmao:

Man I'm looking forward to friday arvo... :evil:

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I've got ours on-line.  It saves quite a bit of time and $$$ because I don't have to print out multiple copies to keep multiple books up to date, and I don't have to waste paper/toner/etc...

Here's a screen shot...

Dang dood, that's pretty hot.

Strucmad

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »
Matt , The end of the year looks a bit quite :lmao: pull your finger out buddy :evil:

jnieman

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
Not to overstep my bounds... or ask you to do anything you shouldn't get into doing...

but how much can you reveal about your setup/contents, there, Matt?

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Matt , The end of the year looks a bit quite :lmao: pull your finger out buddy :evil:

I fill in the meetings when I figure out what I'm going to discuss, which usually isn't until the last minute.  Some of those color-coded days have links to the handouts.
Autodesk Expert Elite

StykFacE

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »

Here's a screen shot...

Hey that looks great. Do you have a link so I can take a glance at the CADD Standards section? If it's on a local network then can you copy/paste and email it? I would love to check out how you've put your Standards together.

jnieman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
*bump*

As someone in a similar position as you, I'm curious.  Did you have any luck garnering some help, or any that you may wish to share? ;)

vinnyg

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
Got one that's quite involved, but a hard copy only. Not sure how I can transfer it into
electronic data. BTW, it is architecturally inclined.

vinny

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »

Here's a screen shot...

Hey that looks great. Do you have a link so I can take a glance at the CADD Standards section? If it's on a local network then can you copy/paste and email it? I would love to check out how you've put your Standards together.

Here's a screen shot of the CADD Standards section.  There's too much to copy/paste email.  Sorry.
Autodesk Expert Elite

vinnyg

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
OK, I was able to scan an old company's CAD handbook (produced 1994) and formated
it into a PDF file if anyone is interested. You would have to update some of it of course.
It's 30 pages long.

vinny

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
OK, I was able to scan an old company's CAD handbook (produced 1994) and formated
it into a PDF file if anyone is interested. You would have to update some of it of course.
It's 30 pages long.

vinny

Can I get that on a 5-1/4" floppy??   :lol:
Autodesk Expert Elite

vinnyg

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »
Matt,

I'm fresh out of 5-1/4" floppys, but I'll see if I can find on just for you