Author Topic: Display Lineweights as per CTB/STB  (Read 5932 times)

Shade

Display Lineweights as per CTB/STB
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
Is there a quick way to have Autocad display the line weight on the screen as per your ctb/stb file?

ie. Colour yellow/ Style Yellow has a pen thickness of 0.5, therefore autocad will display a thickline on the screen base on ct/stb file/

Any help would be appreciated.  :mrgreen:

sinc

Re: Display Lineweights as per CTB/STB
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »
Yes, use the plot preview.

If you want to see lineweights in modelspace, you must use object or layer lineweights, not lineweights in the plot style.  In the plot style, set it to "use object lineweight".  Then turn on the LWT button.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:14:25 PM »
Or just turn on the display Plot style check box
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »
Plot preview would take forever to use all the time
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »
use your pagesetup to modify here

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Shade

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
I wish to have the line weights to display in model space. :|
Is there a way of doing this with a lisp?

Have the lisp read the ctb/stb and and set the line weights accordingly.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
the short answer is no

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
Why would you use LISP when you could just follow Sinc and CmdrDuh's suggestions?   :?
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
The problem is modelspace isn't scaled, so how would you show that line correctly at a non scale?  You can turn on the LWT button as suggested, which should give you a reasonable representation, but I dont know of a way to get exact line widths.  If your modelspace is 1:1 and it would fit in a titleblock, I would move it to layout space

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »
Ok, so what if you have a line that is 1200'-6" long?

It's not going to be very obvious if the lineweight is shown at .007" is it?  For it to be accurate, it'd have to be set to the scale you plot at.  Thus you'd HAVE to do it in paperspace, through a viewport, to be able to see it right.

That is of course, assuming you use paperspace for plotting.

Do you use paperspace to plot, or do you plot in model space?

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
yes, and yes

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
MS does have the ability to show lineweights in a proportional display.  I dont know of a way to see 0.007" at any scale factor from MS.  Thats the whole reason we have PS

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
And even if you scale to fit your plots in MS (bite my tongue for saying this) you could <shudder> move your MS objects to PS and turn on the display plot styles functionality and continue to plot scale to fit

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
So to skip the beating around the bush and step-by-step... what I was getting at, Shade, was that there's nothing to draw intelligence from in ModelSpace that would tell you HOW to scale the linetype so it shows as it does on paper.  You'd have to pull the plot scale from somewhere.

If you dimension in model space, you could pull this scale from the current DIMSCALE, but that has flaws, even.

If you use paperspace for dimensions and/or plotting, then you pretty much have to see it there, only, like Krush and the rest had expanded on.

I guess you -could- somehow write an LSP or VB or ARX... that could get the values of any viewports it finds in any layout tabs, and then let you select what scale to display, and then set the scale to multiply the LWT display scale by... having it set to display in the manner CmdrDuh pointed out with his 'display plot style' tip.

I don't have the talent or knowledge to be able to write such a thing, or to verify if it'd even WORK... just thinking with my butt I guess.