Author Topic: (Microstaion) What do I call THIS?  (Read 6323 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: What do I call THIS?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »
I've said this before although not often but I liked microstation way back when That was all I did.  I learned AutoCAD but my first job drafting was microstation.  I was asked in the interview if I knew any microstation and had to tell them that I had never even heard of it.  He said it was OK, CAD was CAD.  True to some extent.  After a year or so doing microstation full time and exclusively, I did some moonlighting in AutoCAD.  It really annoyed me how counterintuitive and ridiculously put together AutoCAD was.  Almost the exact feelings I have for Microstation now.  Microstation at the time was far better for large drawings than AutoCAD.  I remember doing a test with a drawing that was about 1.5 meg (this was in the 640k ram days), microstation would do an update all in about 5 minutes vs about 45 for an acad regen (there's one for you DinØbuddy, on the house).

Bob Wahr

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »
My only real gripe about Bentley is their inability to write stable applications for AutoCAD.  When you work for a company whose only civil vertical is inroads and inroads crashes about every third command, it gets REALLY annoying.

Arizona

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »
Is this using Inroads with autocad or microstation?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
with autocad.  Using it in Microstation was much more stable.

Arizona

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »
That's what I was thinking. We use PW with autocad and encounter many things that don't work the way their supposed too. We were constantly having to use workarounds to try and accomplish the same things that the microstation users were getting automatically.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »
With inroads, everything worked like it should it just crashed regularly.  I don't think that Bentley programmers can get their minds around the way AutoCAD works.

Arizona

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
I don't think that Bentley programmers can get their minds around the way AutoCAD works.
Wow, do I agree with that!

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »
. . . I remember doing a test with a drawing that was about 1.5 meg (this was in the 640k ram days), microstation would do an update all in about 5 minutes vs about 45 for an acad regen (there's one for you DinØbuddy, on the house).
I'm not sure what Microstation was like back then, but I have seen what r10 was like on an old xt with a whopping 512k and Hercules graphics.  A friend who had inherited the darn thing mentioned it had some version of AutoCAD installed while he was showing it off.  I figured it must be one of the really old versions so I typed acad to see what it looked like.  I couldn't believe it when finally, after much strobing of the disc light, r10 started loading with these funky dark green characters on something like a 9 or 10" monitor.  It took 5 full minutes to get to a command line and I was able to exit the program.  The original owner had even sacrificed 64k of that little dab of memory for a ram disc.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
I don't remember the full text launch for AutoCAD but do remember:

1. Start a new drawing.
2. Edit an existing drawing.

THat's all I remember of the top of my head, it seems like I used 4 occansionally but don't remember what it did.  Microstation then had a really great utility hidden in amongst the files that would let you mark the memory and then release it back to that point.  Basically the same as Undo Mark, Undo Back Yes in acad but with your RAM.  Was really good for killing TSRs that were hard to kill neturally and for using new untested programs to cut down on the chance of a memory leak.

pmvliet

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
Hey Arizona...
Projectwise and AutoCad... isn't it a fun mix. And now you are doing Microstation, projectwise and workspaces... You sure are digging in with both feet firmly in the mud aren't ya!~!

Well, From my olden days, if you need some help just holler. If 32599 is monitoring THIS forum, he will be able to chime in... He's got all that expertise in his brain that he needs to release or his HEAD is gonna get too big!!  :-D

Pieter

Arizona

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
Hey Arizona...
Projectwise and AutoCad... isn't it a fun mix. And now you are doing Microstation, projectwise and workspaces... You sure are digging in with both feet firmly in the mud aren't ya!~!
Oh, I see whats wrong, It was supposed to be feet first. Oops!

If 32599 is monitoring THIS forum, he will be able to chime in...
So who is 32599?

pmvliet

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »
32599 is a past co-worker...
The microstation god at my previous place of employment...  :lmao:

Pieter