Author Topic: Unable to create VLX files  (Read 1762 times)

cadman6735

Unable to create VLX files
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
Hi all,

I just started with a new company and I am creating some lisp macros, some of the macros I like to turn into VLX to keep them from being modified for standardization reasons.  The visual LISP - make application, application wizard is not working.  It will let me go thru all the naming and location information fill out but when I hit create it does nothing.  What could be causing this?

thanks

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Unable to create VLX files
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »
Check that you have read\write permissions for your C:\Program Files\Autodesk folder as well as the folder you're trying to write your application to.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
Not a good approach to go with, I'd personally go the route of setting read-only permissions on the files you want protected. From a management perspective I would not want obfuscated or encrypted code that only you have the ability to change, should you be separated and an issue occurs. 

Macro's are found in toolbar buttons and cannot be encrypted or obfuscated. They can however be loaded within an enterprise CUI file which by default is read-only, however unloading the CUI and reloading it as a partial gets around this. Currently I do not think there is a fix to this.

A lock is inversely secure compared to the intruders desire to get in.

cadman6735

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
Thanks Ron Jon, that was it.

I can save to the folder work in it as normal but not create VLX to it, so I didn't think security was an issue but it was.

cadman6735

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
Chris, I am the CAD Manager and I understand your concerns, I am not malice and manage as a professional.  I have users that like to tinker, some places are not black and white but have a lot of grey,  I do what I do with 18 years of experience behind me, I am not saying my way is the right way or the only way, but VLX is a tool I use for reasons of lessons learned.

---edit---

and when I left my old company, I sat with the new CADMAN explained my set up and gave him all my LSP files to manage as he saw fit.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
Plus you get the speed boost from compiled code  8)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC