Author Topic: Tutorial Ideas  (Read 9914 times)

sinc

Re: Tutorial Ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
We've reached the point where we only put things on Layer 0 if the "apparent" layer is controlled by a Style.  For example, Parcels are all on layer 0, but that's so the "apparent" layer of the parcel lines can be set using the Parcel Style.  This means we can't use commands like the old LAYOFF and LAYFRZ commands to pick objects in the drawing - instead, we may have to figure out what layer is actually controlling visibility, go to the Layer Manager or Layer Toolbar, and turn off or freeze the layer there, rather than picking the object in the drawing.  This is an annoyance, but nowhere near as annoying as some other aspects of Civil-3D.

The thing about this that still constantly really bugs us, though, is the way Parcel labels actually "live" on the same layer as the Parcel Segment they are attached to.  That's something that drives us batty, and we are dearly hoping gets changed by Autodesk in the next version to work more like the General Line/Curve labels (which actually aren't working completely the way want them to, either, but are better than Parcel Labels).

Basically, the way I've started to view it is that Styles and Layers should constitute different ways to "slice" objects.  In other words, BOTH must be used in order to gain complete control, but each aspect is used differently.  As an example, lets take surface styles.  We can define a style that has TIN triangles turned on, and another style that has TIN triangles turned off.  But we can also define it so that all our Surface Styles put the TIN triangles on a special layer, and that layer can be thawed/frozen, turning on/off TIN triangles for ALL surfaces in the drawing without needing to go in and change the Style assigned to each surface.

This is basically how I've been trying to get everything setup.  We have it so that visibility can be largely controlled by Styles.  But these styles also try to make wise use of Layers, so we can also use Layers to affect the display of many different styles all at once.  In a sense, the Layer controls are used to "cut through" the Styles.  Getting this all setup has been interesting, and has involved lots of mutations to our template, but we're starting to get it into a shape where it works pretty well for the most part.  It is definitely confusing, though, and it would not be easy to explain to others exactly why everything is setup the way it is.  And it takes some time for new users to get the hang of it.  But it seems to work relatively decently once it's all in place.

Oh, and to keep all this working, we also keep that "Immediate and independent" control turned ON at all times.  To tell you the truth, I haven't tried using Civil-3D very much with this setting OFF, but the few times I've tried messing with it, I always end up turning it back ON relatively quickly.  That seems to be the setting we want.  There may be special cases where it might be better to turn it OFF, but I haven't discovered one of those cases yet.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:20:21 AM by sinc »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:42 PM »
I would like to see one on cut & fill with two surfaces. I've never worked with two surfaces ( existing & proposed ) so I'd like to see what you can do with them as in cut & fill.

Have a Look a Surface Analysis Styles Here:

http://www.primeservicesglobal.com/Tutorials.htm
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
I am still getting the 404 message for this and your last two prior downloads Michael

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »
ok..now I need to figure out how or why thise HTML editor is
A) adding code I don't need
b) Not saving my changes to the code I do need :|
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Wow! Thanks Michael. Can't wait to see that one.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

dfarris75

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
ok..now I need to figure out how or why thise HTML editor is
A) adding code I don't need
b) Not saving my changes to the code I do need :|

The link in your code is spelled wrong for the pipe network tut. Pipe Network Reature Settings.zip
The code appears a slight bit messy. What editor are you using?
You might consider removing spaces from the filenames as well.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »

OK, I took the hoods off my hostage fingers, so they could see to type the links and file names, and it looks like they got it right this time.

Messy Code???  Stop looking at my code :-o!
Thanks for reporting that issue DinØ, and thanks for your patience all.

The links are all working now, though the code is probably STILL messy, so don't look at it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
The links are all working now...

indeed they are, thanks again Michael. downloading now ....
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

John Mayo

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 08:55:55 AM »
Tutorials Ideas...

1. Using the Survey Database & Figures for closing parcels & breaklines.

(That's our next adventure!)

sinc

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 01:04:07 PM »
Tutorials Ideas...

1. Using the Survey Database & Figures for closing parcels & breaklines.

(That's our next adventure!)

You're under the impression that you can actually use the Survey Database for that?    :-)

John Mayo

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »
Thanks Sinc. The visions of sugar plums & fairies have been replaced with unfulfilled dreams of culvert calculators, HEC2 export and well anything hydro related. ;)

Yet I still hope & dream.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
XDREFS Tutorial now Available
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
Creating an XDEF to use multiple Descriptions and Elevations for point groups. The point file data and database file used in this example can be requested here, be sure to included XDREFS in the subject line.

http://www.primeservicesglobal.com/Tutorials.htm

OK, the bad email code is revised.

I have been thinking about some of the file size issues others have mentioned.  I think I will experiment first with a few fewer recorded frames.  The length/time of the subjects is naturally going to vary according to the topic, as I am trying to show the steps involved as completely as practicable.  I wonder about a multi-part series and how many of you would follow along, and what would be optimum spacing of the new assignments?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:40:20 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »
DinØ, did you get a chance to work through that XDREF presentation?  If so how did it go?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
DinØ, did you get a chance to work through that XDREF presentation?  If so how did it go?
Yes Michael, I finally applied the rock hammer at the correct spot of the sound card . . . lost the driver as a byproduct of installing a new boot drive.  Now it comes through loud and clear and when I get Civil 3D installed again I will try working it through with the data files.  I remember you doing something similar in class with the Greensboro folk.  Have XDREFs been around that long?  There should be some more applications for that kind of trick.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »
Yes they have!  Which is why I found it funny that three or four days prior to producing said tutorial Dana Probert was asking how to do XDREFS in C3D on the ADESK newsgroups.  So mostly I did it just for her :wink:.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell