Author Topic: textmask and pdfs  (Read 4458 times)

Rotring

textmask and pdfs
« on: December 09, 2004, 09:07:57 PM »
Hi,

I am using A2005 and PDF995 writer to convert my cad files to pdfs.  Another guy in the ofice uses Acorbat writer to convert files to pdfs.

though two different methods and programs, the pdf on screen looks ok, does the masking.  but problem arises when we do print copies of the pdf.  The textmask comes up as a solid.   Anyone know how to resolve this?

I've tried:
textmasking in model space and/or paperspace.
using text background

still the same result.

GARILM

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
I use CUTEPDF and had a similar problem.
The pdf looks fine but when sent to printer
mask is solid black. It turns out that it only
shows up that way on certian printers (the oldest one)
the newer ones it prints out fine.

elsos

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 10:36:02 AM »
We have the same issue with textmask blacking out a box when it prints.
Any solutions?? We are using Acrobat 6.0 Standard version.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
textmask and pdfs
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 10:50:36 AM »
No problems here. How are you masking the text?

BTW, I'm using PDFCreator.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

nivuahc

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 10:53:16 AM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas

Are you able to make anything larger than an 11 x 17 with that?

If so, please clue in the clueless.

The only reason I still use PDF995 is because I can print large drawings with it. Otherwise, I'd use PDFCreator for everything (not just my 8.5 x 11's).

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
textmask and pdfs
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »
Are you able to make anything larger than an 11 x 17 with that?

Yes!!

elsos

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:14:31 AM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas

We're using "textmask" from the Express Tools. Things were OK six months ago or so, but no one in the office can make a PDF now and print it without having the dreaded BlackBox over the text. Even when we send to other people, they will print it out and call back about the dreaded BlackBox. Sounds like a movie starring only those nobody has ever heard of.

It will print the BlackBox on every printer/plotter we have...thought maybe it was a printer issue, maybe a driver issue.

grush

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 12:28:14 PM »
I use Adobe Pro 6.0 and this is what I found works. Use the textmask (Express->Text Mask), enter 'm' for masktype, 's' for solid and set the color to 255. Then select said text. You will notice that it is "shaded" white (color 255 to be exact). Regen the drawing, and you will now see your text surrounded by the wipeout boundary. Hope this helps and hope it works. It does for me.

Please let me know if it works for anyone else.

Pete

elsos

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 12:39:59 PM »
Quote from: grush
I use Adobe Pro 6.0 and this is what I found works. Use the textmask (Express->Text Mask), enter 'm' for masktype, 's' for solid and set the color to 255. Then select said text. You will notice that it is "shaded" white (color 255 to be exact). Regen the drawing, and you will now see your text surrounded by the wipeout boundary. Hope this helps and hope it works. It does for me.

Please let me know if it works for anyone else.

Pete

Pete,
This did work, however one has to look at the solid shade instead of the text. Thanks.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
textmask and pdfs
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »
I'm using the "background mask" that's built into the mtext editor (2005) so that may have something to do width it.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
textmask and pdfs
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 01:03:55 PM »

elsos

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »
Mark,
that prints beautifully. It must be some setting we have either with PDF or with wipeout in textmask.??

Eric

MikePerry

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »
Hi

Also give the following thread a read, comes from an old ACAD Guild thread -

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-guild-acad@augi.com [mailto:owner-guild-acad@augi.com]On
Behalf Of Debbie D. Denton
Sent: 26 November 2002 22:08
To: guild-acad@augi.com
Subject: [ACAD] Alternative to Wipeouts Question

Problem: We send our drawings and specs out in .PDF format. If you use Wipeouts or Textmasking features on drawings that contain XREF'S, they print out as black boxes, looks fine on the .DWG and the .PDF. I can use Wipeouts and Textmask on drawings without XREF'S and don't have this problem at all.

OK, so I remembered a trick I learned at last years AU 'Power Users' class by dave espinosa-aguilar using REGIONS to hide entites. I thought good I have a solution so I'll just write a little lisp routine and do away with the use of 'Wipeouts'... WRONG, this method also does not work on XREF'S, while I do not get black boxes in my .pdf's it doesn't hide the text entities at all, however this method works great also, on non-xref'd drawings. I'm sure someone out there has ran into this and like to know if there are any solutions to these problems. We'd love to use Wipeouts, but can't because we use Xre's extensively. I've went to Adobe's web site and joined the user group there, while the problem has been posted no solution has worked. I don't think it's a printer issue, because I can print them just fine out of AutoCAD.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Debbie Denton

>>> "Mike Perry" mike.perry@FaberMaunsell.com> 11/28/02 02:54AM >>

Hi

Debbie/Harvey

You may want to check out the following Technical Documents on the AutoDesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS47422
ID: DL101173
ID: TS27535
ID: TS69295

Note - Have tested here in AutoCAD 2002 and have found as long as the DrawOrder is correct in the X-Ref file TextMask and WipeOut Object's/Entities are honoured in the Master Drawing File.

Have a good one, Mike

Sent: 09 December 2002 17:41
To: guild-acad@augi.com; harvey.lusk@cpyarch.com;mike.perry@fabermaunsell.com
Subject: RE: [ACAD] Alternative to Wipeouts Question

Mike,

I tried everything listed in these Tech. Docs. and nothing works on the XREF drawings, in fact now it's totally ignoring the wipeouts as if they aren't even on the drawing. I tried DRAWORDER, no luck. Again, to iterate the real problem, it's in the PDF file, all wipeouts print out as black boxes no matter if it's an XREF'D drawing or not.

Thanks for trying to help... we are just not going to use them at all.

Debbie

>>> "Mike Perry" mike.perry@fabermaunsell.com> 12/09/02 10:55AM >>

Hi

:(

What version of AutoCAD are you running?

Have you tried the old trick of using a 3D Face instead of a WipeOut Object?

If your really stuck you are welcome to send a drawing file (along with it's X-ref's) here and I'll try and output in PDF format without getting Black Blob's. Can't promise anything, will probably just end up confirming Black Blob's but...

Have a good one, Mike

Sent: 09 December 2002 19:01
To: guild-acad@augi.com; mike.perry@fabermaunsell.com

We are running 2002 on W2K. No need to send a file, just xref a file in go to Layout1 cut a viewport, create some text anywhere that would cross some xref objects, looks good on screen, go to plot and it is ignored. Also, create the PDF and see if it prints black blobs. I can only get them (the pdf's) to print correctly on a Richo Aficio 1045 and a HP LaserJet 8000 Series. Will not print correctly on Xerox 8830, HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5c, HP 8500 Color Printer, HP LaserJet 5Si/5Si MX PS, HP DesignJet 5000PS, or the QMS 2425. However, they print correctly (or did) from the .dwg file.

Thanks,

Debbie

>>> "Mike Perry" mike.perry@FaberMaunsell.com> 12/09/02 02:40PM >>

Hi Debbie

Snap, AutoCAD 2002 (Service Pack 1) on Windows 2000 Pro (Service Pack 2).

Created as instructed.

Looks great on screen :)

Looks great on output direct from AutoCAD to plotter :) -

HP LaserJet 5000N - Heidi Driver HP LasetJet 4MV (hpgl27.hdi Version 1.1.7.1.15.30[U9-1])
HP DesignJet 750C - Heidi Driver DesignJet 750C C3196A (hpgl27.hdi Version 1.1.7.1.15.30 [U5-1])
Oce 9400 Firmware 4.2 - Heidi Driver DesignJet 650C C2859B (hpgl27.hdi Version 1.1.7.1.15.30 [U5-1])

Looks great in Acrobat Reader :) -

Used Acrobat Distiller Version 4.0 to create PDF

Looks great on output from Acrobat Reader :) -

HP LaserJet 5000N (A3)
HP LaserJet 4000N (A4)

Will send you off Guild the PDF file I created, will also send the simple DWG file I put together (you can tell me it's totally wrong, never have been very good at following instructions).

Have a good one, Mike

Sent: 10 December 2002 16:12
To: mike.perry@fabermaunsell.com

Hi Mike

OK, after messing with this all morning here's what I've discovered. Your file prints fine (.dwg) as far as the wipeout goes. My drawing looks fine (.dwg) but when I print it wipeouts are ignored no matter what printer I send it to. I've tried DRAWORDER sending the XREF to the back, doesn't work. So, I removed your wipeout and recreated it and it plots fine. I'm stumped, if you have some time can you look at the attached drawing and see if you can tell what I'm doing wrong? It looks fine on screen. The wipeouts are on the text that's within the ceiling grid on the attached drawing. s_61_9501.dwg is the xref.

Thanks,

Debbie

Sent: 11 December 2002 15:21
To: Debbie D. Denton

Afternoon Debbie

Success!!! now only if I can remember what I done

Solution (for me here anyway) -

Your Floating ViewPorts had the option Hide Plot = Yes

Change this to No (via Properties Window or MView)

WipeOut Object's when Plotted should now be honoured.

I tested the drawing I sent you, if I change the Hide Plot option to "Yes" on the Floating ViewPort then the WipeOut display's correctly but does not Plot.

If I then change Hide Plot back to "No" then the WipeOut display's and Plots correctly.

The above also applied to the drawing you sent me, give it a go and let me know what you think.

Cheers, Mike

Have a good one, Mike

elsos

textmask and pdfs
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 10:19:23 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the post!
It sounds like a very similar issue. I tried changing the HidePlot to NO and it didn't seem to matter. We've been pretty unfortunate with this.

I think it is a PDF setting function. I am going to go that direction and see what I can determine...if I find something exciting I'll repost the solution.

Thanks!
-Eric

dubb

• Swamp Rat
Re: textmask and pdfs
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 05:37:25 PM »
pdfcreater works great with masking but....i print using lines merge, when i pdf it from autocad..the pdf doesnt retain merging of lines. (ie) i have black lines or text...and the gray screened lines show up on to of it. does anybody know what im talking about?