Author Topic: thoughts on notation  (Read 2733 times)

ELOQUINTET

thoughts on notation
« on: December 21, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »
i was wondering what you guys thoughts are on using a list and numbers to notate rahter than typing a million notes saying the same things. just curious more than anything

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
thoughts on notation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 12:51:34 PM »
I use both... sometimes... contractors can be strange... its good to cover your self as best as you can.
Civil3D 2020

Craig

thoughts on notation
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:53:34 PM »
we use both Dan. It depends on the application to which one we use...if not both

M-dub

thoughts on notation
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 12:58:53 PM »
We almost always number the notes.  For example, we'd use a leader and notation "See note 4"...the notes are then at the right side of the drawing in the legend margin.

Is that what you're asking?  Maybe I misunderstood.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
thoughts on notation
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:02:02 PM »
Mostly I use the notes but when it comes to a Framing plan you will
repeat the same note many times. So on that sheet I use the Table
and Keith's DimBal lisp to add the balloons. :)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
thoughts on notation
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 01:33:19 PM »
when it comes to drawing the same detail 8 times but each one has a different size that changes, i use a table, which will reduce 8 details to about 4 and then i use "for items not noted see detail 5/S-3.0" or something like that. Making that note makes the detail say that there are typical situcations in this detail, just follow the instructions on the other detail because its just about the same.

when you type a million notes, it should usually be on the general notes sheet. notes on a regular sheet should contain a minimum. displaying pictures with dimensions are more descriptive for me. anything i cant explain in drawings are done with words. Labeling parts of a drawing should always be done with leaders, dimensions, and or some sort of entity that doesnt physically affect the drawing.

agree or disagree? keep blocks text leaders consistent and readable. in the end your drawing may last for 20 years.think about how you might be able to read drawings that have been created 20 years ago.  

-thoughts on contractors
some contractors dont know what they are looking at...some dont even look at notes because there are just too long or too many. others ask for information that has already been represented in drawings but they cant find what they are looking for.

ELOQUINTET

thoughts on notation
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 01:53:33 PM »
yeah we fabricate alot of glass doors here and note the materials so many times that it's so error prone if something should change which it does everytime so you really have to be careful you catch all the instances. another thing is everybody doesn't call things out the same so you can't simply use the find command and feel confident you've gotten them all. i was thinking about producing a mockup door drawing with notes on the side and see what they think. it has been suggested before but i think the response was that our shop guys might make a mistake between reading the number and finding the number in the then finding the corresponding note. anyway thanks for your feedback guys

CADaver

thoughts on notation
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:37:17 PM »
"See Note #9"  the less clutter in the drawing the better.

Bob

thoughts on notation
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 03:37:33 AM »
I think its down to:

a) Whether its a drawing for internal use only (where you can use standard notations for internal company standards). This becomes a problem if it ever gets to a customer. We had crane drawings from Weelmans who use their own notation for limits and fits. -Real pain.

b) Whether the notations are still on the drawing. They have to be cross linked (or even hyperlinked).

ELOQUINTET

thoughts on notation
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:06:21 AM »
yeah we send out the drawings to the architect/contractor and build from the in the shop. a better suggestion in my case would be for us to all call out materials the same way which i have suggested but that hasn't happened. it would help out alot with using drawing searcher as well but most don't see the big picture round here