CAD Forums > CAD General

Sharing AutoCAD menus over a network

(1/6) > >>

ML:
Hello,

In work we are creating a custom menu, macros etc., and we are going to roll it out in a few weeks. I have been testing the menu over the network. I have always loaded the menu files on a local ard drive but never on a shared network.

I was wondering if anyone has also done this and can offer good advice?

I removed the mnu file from the directory as it really isn't serving a purpose and it really lessens if not eliminates the risks of the menu being overwritten.

I have found from the tests I've done that if I make a change to the mns file, the other people on the network will see the change once they close and open, kind of the way an x-ref works.

I have also found that when I load the .mns that the mnc and mnr are re created and vice versa, if I have just have the mnc file in the path and load it, it will re create the mns and mnr files.

Also, we mostly use 2002 in work but we are testing 2005. I have found that if I load the mns in 2005, it doesn't want to load in 2002, so I need to then delete the mnc and  the mnr, then I can load it.

I was also wondering if someone had a good fix for this?

Any help with the above would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Mark

ML:
We have like 10 people that we want to map to the same custom menu

Thank you again

Mark

ronjonp:
You need to have separate menus for 2002 and 2004+.  As far as sharing this menu, just make sure the search paths in ACAD show the location of your menu and menuload. Look for AcadInstall, InnoSetup, and IStool to make an installer to do all of this for you. These 3 tools combined are great for easily distributing menus\programs into AutoCAD.

Ron

CADaver:

--- Quote from: ML ---I have found from the tests I've done that if I make a change to the mns file, the other people on the network will see the change once they close and open, kind of the way an x-ref works.
--- End quote ---
A word of warning, when you re-compile the menu in this manner it saves the toolbar settings and locations.  Depending on how you're set up, this may "relocate" the user's custom toolbar display.

--- Quote from: ML ---Also, we mostly use 2002 in work but we are testing 2005. I have found that if I load the mns in 2005, it doesn't want to load in 2002, so I need to then delete the mnc and  the mnr, then I can load it.

I was also wondering if someone had a good fix for this?

--- End quote ---
You'll need two separate menus.

andyanderson:
For a primer on menus, go to Mark Middlebrook's site about menus at:

http://www.markcad.com/autocad/acadmenus.htm

He recommends that, first of all, dump the .mnu file.  As far as networking the menu(s), you'll have to talk to an IT guy who knows what he's doing.  AutoCAD has a nasty habit of looking at the local hard drive unless you path it differently.  Which brings up other issues such as support files, drivers, etc.

Keep in mind that most guys customize their menus to make them what they are used to seeing.  I happen to be a mouse guy but others are keyboarders with zillions of hot keys and, oddly enough these days, tablet types.

I've got custom buttons out the ying-yang that call special lisp routines that AutoCAD doesn't supply you.  I've also got a bunch of 3rd party programs that I can insert into my menu at the top.  I think you'll find that you will have a lot of resistance to try and 'standardize' menus for everyone.  A worthy and lofty goal but, alas, not practical unless you''re a control freak and don't mind hiring a bodyguard :)

Will my menus work for everybody?  Hell no.  Thank goodness.  I don't want everybody to be like me.  Now, you might use profiles so that people can customize their own menus while still retaining the 'original' setup.  But then why try to have a 'standard' menu in the first place?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version