Author Topic: Civil 3D BIM?  (Read 2997 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Civil 3D BIM?
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:22 AM »
We are currently researching the capabilities of Civil 3D in the BIM world. We are looking into using something to model both existing and new underground services giving their true location, sizes and in some cases the materials etc. Is it capable of doing this?

Coming from a mainly buildings background I dont know the full capabilities of Civil 3D. Is it capable of 3D/4D/5D ?

I'm going to a meeting shortly, and after the meeting I should know a little more about the thinking behind this.

Many thanks for any advice on this very vague question :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D BIM?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:46:59 AM »
Yes Civil 3D can be used as a BIM or as I call it in that capacity Civil information Model.

I would be happy to assist you and your comapny adopting C3D for this purpose.

It does 3D, the 4th and 5th D's would come via something Navisworks or others.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
I can confirm that Civil 3D (aptly named) handles civil infrastructure well.

I am currently configuring a joint-discipline deployment for our Transportation, and Environmental/Infrastructure groups... The former primarily works with roadways and the utilities being improved/affected, and the latter primarily works in contrast in similar proportion. Having two separate deployments just didn't make sense given the frequent overlap.

I've not personally worked with our Architectural group, but I do know that they collaborate with Civil 3D groups successfully.

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
As Renderman has yet to encounter there is a proscribed workflow and data selection method for integrating Architecture models with the Civil 3D model.  I have assisted quire a few BIM Captains with this process.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:01 AM »
As per normal this is not going to have a training budget, nor has it got a job budget.... its a "can this product do this, and if so, how can we sell the service"  So I will be scratching around in the dark, and with the help of the help files... great :|

I can see this is going to be an interesting/frustrating couple of weeks
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Jane,

Yes it can do it.
Yes you can 'sell' it; as a value added service.
If you have a list of questions feel free to send in PM and I'll be sure to answer those that I can for you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:27:37 AM »
As per normal this is not going to have a training budget, nor has it got a job budget.... its a "can this product do this, and if so, how can we sell the service"  So I will be scratching around in the dark, and with the help of the help files... great :|

I always get a kick out of that...  "BIM" is a buzzword, so let's sell "BIM", even if there's no real clear definition of what it is or how it makes us more-productive...   :-D