Author Topic: Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages  (Read 1628 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
This is just a general thought...

-Hydrographs Volume is synced / linked to Hydrolic volume Pond Contours in Surface

-Hydrographs Oulet Sizing is synced / linked to outlet control detail

-Storm Sewers Calcuations are synced / linked to storm network to generate tables with calculcations in cad

-Structures \ San. Storm\ are synced / linked to a detail which are currently used in the networks.

I just wanted to share some of these thoughts. I have been evaulating Powercivil, and Carlson Hydrology, All do a good job, just very cumbersome to use on the Powercivil, however, pipe calcs are easy!, grading is weird. Speically when you have to familiarize your self with microstation. As for Carlson Hydrology, Its all autocad based. tins are 3d faces, but it does not work hand in hand with Civil 3D. There are alot of files you need to save going through different phases of the drainage proceedure. However, Minus all the time you have to use settting up files and saving. How do you know if everything is synced up?

Civil3D - the fastest among all the others i have tested in getting a project done and be some what synced up with itself. The above comments i came up with so that it would somewhat fix the gap of having information all over they place in different files and making sure they match up with what is in the CAD and Calcs. If they don't, I have to waste more time figuring out what went wrong.

Just some thoughts!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:09:23 PM by DinØsaur »
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
NO Drainage Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »
Is it me, or is there a question in the above post?  If not then perhaps a change of Topic title might be in order.  Perhaps  "My Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages"  would be a better title?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

Re: Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »
Is it me, or is there a question in the above post?  If not then perhaps a change of Topic title might be in order.  Perhaps  "My Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages"  would be a better title?
There Michael . . .

MSTG007, Would you care to share some more about your PowerCivil experiences?  I still have not been able to score a working demo to evaluate it for myself.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »
Thanks, DinØ!

You know me, I just read the title, then the post.

Then I read it again and couldn't really see a question, so I thought a title change was in order to keep others from trying to find a question in the post.  Or perhaps to prompt the poster to post a question?

Unless the question was how do you keep it all synced up?  And that would be the 100000$ question, and hopefully isn't as difficult and combersome as implied.  Apparently there is some order of operation to editing those files and if one doesn't use that order, or edit all the files well then that would be a failing of Power Civil,the documentation, their training, or a combination of all of the above.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
Re: MY Thoughts On Civil Drainage Packages
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
Alright! Bingo! you caught me! It is a question. Simple too, how do or can you sync the above up with eachother?
Also, I did recieve a demo of Power civil Dino. below is from the lessons i did, what I thought...

"Lesson 01 - Introduction to PowerCivil
Makes sense... Have to find the basic command buttons... AHHHH
Lesson 02 - The PowerCivil CAD Environment
ditto to above.
Lesson 03 - Creating Base Surface Data
They gave me a dwg with contours... I just extracted the contours to make a *.TIN file.
Lesson 04 - Surface Manipulation and Interrogation
You can flip faces etc... I think Civil3D is better here...
Lesson 05 - Initiating the Site Modeler
Imagine Bldg Pads, Ground, Curb, Parking lots, ponds. ( they are considered Objects) Objects which connect / tie together move together... Editing them is ok, but its a new concept to grasp.
Lesson 06 - Site Modeler Fundamentals
skipped
Lesson 07 - Designing Roadways
skipped
Lesson 08 - Grading a Pond
This was FUN and FAST. Draw a pond outline, use the wizard, boom. Done!
Lesson 09 - Channel Wizard
skipped
Lesson 10 - Analyzing the Model
Easy, image a style display, just in a differnt format / look
Lesson 11 - Editing the Model
Skipped
Lesson 12 - Drainage Design
FUN. Quick and Easy. Define a boundary, and it can auto sense the ground and pavement...
Think stormcad here...
Lesson 13 - Water and Sewer Utility Design
Half way through it... its in 3D.
Lesson 14 - Design Reports
Customizable... and all the info you need.
Lesson 15 - Plans Preparation
skipped
Lesson 16 - Plans Production
skipped
Lesson 17 - Quantity Extraction
skipped"

Please let me know what you guys think.

thanks!
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
It would seem that there is a specific order of operation for editing these files.  I say this after watching an on-line presentation of this application.  I also get the impression that after one works with this application for a while one might learn that there are some files one could edit (update) without needing to edit all files for that particular project with no ill effects.  In short it might be possible to have the data files in the project folder have varying edit dates and times and them; so simply checking that information wouldn't give you a clue that they were not in sync with each other. 

I have asked for a demo version to be sent to me, although I won't get 'home' again for at least three weeks.  However the last time I asked for a demo from Bentley it took way longer than that for the disc to arrive, so the timing may be perfect.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:12:44 AM »
We will see what happens... Its neat. stuff, but our company is Civil3D based. And now if civil can do what bently can do, WOOHOO!
Civil3D 2020