Author Topic: autocad Vs Inventor  (Read 1656 times)

SDETERS

autocad Vs Inventor
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:06 AM »
We are updgrading to Autocad 2007.  But during our upgrade we got inventor also.  Will inventor be able to modify DWG files?  What is the difference from Inventor and Autocad?  Can I modify DWG file in inventor?

Please help I am confused.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: autocad Vs Inventor
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:47:55 AM »
Inventor is a parametric part modeler, Autocad is not.  It's purpose is to aid in rapid prototyping of machine tools and equipment through visualization and analysis.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

SDETERS

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
Can one modify a DWG like one can do in autocad or is inventor a completetly different program? 

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
Can one modify a DWG like one can do in autocad or is inventor a completetly different program? 

The best answer is that it's a completely different program, as if you bought Revit or another separate package.

-the long answer is that Inventor can use legacy DWG data to create a 3d part from then on out, but the autocad drawing is a 'dummy' 2d data with no real Inventor usefulness, other than en elevated starting point.  3D Autocad models are also generally useless as the 2D... just a slightly more elevated starting point... but regardless, both starting points are quite a bit low compared to the finish line.

Bringing completed Autocad drawings into Inventor is the equivalent of working in Autocad from completely exploded (dimensions, text, everything..) data...without the benefit of at least being able to PRINT a copy of the data that can be used as a shop drawing.

If you use Inventor, you may as well start from scratch for any new stuff or stuff in progress, unless you have a significant investment in present material that will be used or reused in the future, in which case it may satisfy some bean counters to tell them that you can salvage the existing stuff, whereas in reality, my experience was that starting from scratch modeling the part USING the Autocad PRINTOUTS as a guide, was quite more beneficial in the end, as the models could be built intelligently as designed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:58:07 AM by Josh Nieman »

SDETERS

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »
Cool that is what I needed.  I tried to import a DWG into inventor and I could not modify the dwg easly.  I thought it was like Autocad 3D on steriods.  But it is a hole new different program seperate from Autocad.  Thanks for the info.