Author Topic: Revisions of Drawings - Titleblock attribute woes  (Read 6440 times)

hendie

Re: Revisions of Drawings - Titleblock attribute woes
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »
Mike, I wouldn't ours is any sweeter ~ I have 4 different businesses using a single database at the moment.
That's one of the benefits with Adept ~ each business can have it's own library card, and not be aware the other businesses exist.
Also, Adept allows you to map multiple attributes (and multiple blocks) to the same db field which is very useful... all the businesses use different titleblocks with different tag names but I can map them to our titleblock fields keeping the overall number of db fields down.

M-dub

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
Also, Adept allows you to map multiple attributes (and multiple blocks) to the same db field which is very useful... all the businesses use different titleblocks with different tag names but I can map them to our titleblock fields keeping the overall number of db fields down.

Right, ours is one company, but we'll end up with three different DB's and library cards.  This company has so many different title blocks, borders that have accumulated over the years, it will be impossible to get them ALL into Adept, but we can get the vast majority of them.

My dream installation (and I'm sure THEIRS TOO) would be a brand new facility.  No existing drawings or standards... just building everything from the ground up.  That would be sweet.

hendie

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
I'm sure it would.
It looks like I will be having another two businesses switch over to Adept soon so I'm thinking maybe another server with another Adept service and starting from scratch with them.

M-dub

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »
So when does your pay cheque start coming from Synergis?  ^-^

deegeecees

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 10:31:19 AM »
My dream installation (and I'm sure THEIRS TOO) would be a brand new facility.  No existing drawings or standards... just building everything from the ground up.  That would be sweet.

I'm livin the dream.

I've been gearing up for creating my own EDMS system here using what I've created in the past. What I currently have is based on a networked (in-house) system, but I'm looking into moving it to an internet database format. We have two separate locations, but they share the same resources, hence the need to share a database.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

When I do get started on this I'll share the progress in a separate thread, in case there are others who wish to do the same.

hendie

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »
So when does your pay cheque start coming from Synergis?  ^-^

workin' on it  :evil:

At one point I also wanted to create my own but when we looked at it in detail, the actual cost of the edms is not much at all.
Most of the cost on our first installlation was down to having them come in to set everything up. Now we know what's going on we will set it up ourselves, so then it boils down to just the license costs, around $1600 per CAD user and around $800 for non cad users, and the licenses are concurrent so I reckon that's a good deal ... especially when you consider how much AutoCAD costs

M-dub

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
So, you're using Explorer then?  Like it?

deegeecees

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »

Moi?

Bob

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »
I use cabinet explorer if thats what you mean.

Pretty impressive. Good outfit.

hendie

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 10:59:40 AM »
I use cabinet explorer if thats what you mean.

Pretty impressive. Good outfit.
apart from the fact that it wipes out your attribute values  :evil:

sorry, couldn't resist  :lol:

Bob

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »
I know it doesn't sound impressive based on that.

They really have done an excellent job on our drawing system.

It was a major uphill struggle against our outsource IT function and their enlightened policies.

M-dub

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »

Moi?

Sorry, no, I was talking to Hendie.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 11:44:55 AM »
I'm looking into moving it to an internet database format. We have two separate locations, but they share the same resources, hence the need to share a database.

Our system used to be like this, but it could be a slow process for all the satellite offices.
What we have now is, every office has it's own database, which is a replication of the main one.

if I change something here, it updates our database here and pushes it our to the other offices in real time, but as it's a local database, if the internet connection happens to be running slow, it doesn't slow us down, it just works in it's own time, updating till it's done.

The neat thing is, if a project is assigned to a satellite office, the data for that project is stored in the local office database, we can't change any of the project details, but we can add documents, change drawings etc, so each office manages it's own project database, but share the contact and project information etc.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

deegeecees

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »
I'm looking into moving it to an internet database format. We have two separate locations, but they share the same resources, hence the need to share a database.

Our system used to be like this, but it could be a slow process for all the satellite offices.
What we have now is, every office has it's own database, which is a replication of the main one.

if I change something here, it updates our database here and pushes it our to the other offices in real time, but as it's a local database, if the internet connection happens to be running slow, it doesn't slow us down, it just works in it's own time, updating till it's done.

The neat thing is, if a project is assigned to a satellite office, the data for that project is stored in the local office database, we can't change any of the project details, but we can add documents, change drawings etc, so each office manages it's own project database, but share the contact and project information etc.

I'll be the only one providing the input for the database, as the people who will be using it are shop foreman types with limited computer skills. I'll be inputting materials costs and such for each job, and in turn they will pull up the job number and get a printout of all related aspects based on their login. Using Access, and publishing it as HTML, throw in a couple of forms, and that's it. It sounds simple enough, but I'm just talking it out as I write this, thinking that there's something more I could do. I guess I'll start the "Building An Internet DB" thread.

Any other input before I get started?

hendie

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »

Moi?

Sorry, no, I was talking to Hendie.

ah, you mean the new Adept Explorer.
No, I'm not using it yet but I watched the download and it was very impressive, so I think I'll be rolling it out to our sales offices, and that will leave their licenses for the power users