Author Topic: Dynamic Block Replace / Redefine  (Read 2207 times)

Nibster

Dynamic Block Replace / Redefine
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
First off, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so I promise not to be offended if it gets transplanted.

Background:  We have a routine here (facilities environment) where it replaces all of our old static electrical type blocks with the correct visibility state in a new Dynamic Block.  Visibility states being static geometry, this is also pretty simple when it comes to updating the Dynamic Blocks.

We also updated a room tag block.  It used to be that one picked a room tag block based on the # of characters that were in the room number.  Being a large facility, the room #'s range from 3-10 characters, and each block would have a bubble sized accordingly.  Before the desire to have an option for 2 lines for the room name, the bubble size was modified with a visibility parameter.  Now the double text line (room name) is visibility controlled while I changed the bubble to be controlled with a stretch parameter AND a lookup (for those that really like to pick from lists).

The problem we discovered recently is that when we update/redefine our newer room tags, Autocad doesn't remember each existing bubble's parameter/ lookup settings and resets all the bubbles to the smallest (default) setting.

The QUESTION:  Could a routine remember parameter settings in place and update the block accordingly?  If not, would a routine first have to be run to maybe create & rename each instance according to the setting, THEN be replaced with the new block?  Am I smoking something too potent in Wonderland and need to stop looking for the imposible? 

If anyone wants to see our elect. replace code for reference, just let me know.