Author Topic: Civil 3D Styles | Multiple Client Standards  (Read 7307 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D Styles | Multiple Client Standards
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
I'm confronted with the difficulty of how best to handle multiple client-specific CAD standards with regard to Civil 3D styles.

These clients vary on what they provide, but so far, none of them have provided templates, let alone an established set of 'Styles', only layers, title block, documentation, etc.

I am curious to know how others are handling this situation...

Any tips on how to quickly setup core styles based on client layers, sort of like a [Style]Trans command, etc.?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D Styles | Multiple Client Standards
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
oh, the nightmare....

this would suggest that

IF

they want things done in a particular [STYLE]

then THEY should provide a template complete with those styles

otherwise,

just imagine all the wasted time and energy trying to verify that ALL consultant's STYLES actually conform to their standard, when no such tool that I am aware of to compare styles even exists (as of this writting)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
In Civil3D 2012 there is an import option for styles and I think also possible to overwrite style names.

But if clients don't supply templates, you shouldn't do the work for them to create such styles.

Otherwise, export stuff in LandXML so they can import in their own system.

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
In Civil3D 2012 there is an import option for styles and I think also possible to overwrite style names.

But if clients don't supply templates, you shouldn't do the work for them to create such styles.

I know one can import styles....however if none are provided what is there to import?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »
From one client's documentation:

<snip>

F. File Naming Convention:

1. Reference File Name Listing:
     <snip>

2. Template Drawing: Due the uniqueness of each firm's own procedures, the <client> will not be providing a template for your use.

Now, to be clear, the client also does not require Civil 3D be used - this is the enterprise mandate that Civil 3D be used on all projects after a certain date... Enter my plight.

If I've had three projects in the last month that each require separate client-specific CAD standards, I certainly cannot be the only one!?! LoL Also, over time, short of client updated CAD standards, we shall have an accumulative effect that makes this process a bit easier, but still - this is seemingly a nightmare.

I'm not really sure of the best, most economical way of doing this, as there is no budget for the work required... just has to get done automagically. *sigh*

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
Sounds like you are expected to figure out a way to make Civil 3D display data in exactly the format the client / reviewing agencies have always had it presented in the past.  Is a certain budget buster depending on how entrenched everyone is in their expectations.  You can get close by making sure you start out with a set of styles that has everything common with most clients and create a template for each from that point.  You will also most likely already be over budget and missing deadlines for each project.
Been there, done that, been called the barking dog for my trouble when I voiced concerns.  Those templates and style sets should be in place before thinking about billing time for the project.  Each client's "special" requirements should reside in their own template and named so to be immediately recognized as for their use only.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the response... This all helps to confirm what I anticipated would be necessary, albeit much to my disappointment. LoL

Cheers!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »
* Hops over to the .NET forum to see if anyone will help to develop a StyleTrans Command *

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
sinc has some great tools in his SincPac package ... regardless of any troubles you are seeing now, it would be time well spent checking over his features therein and trying to wrestle a seat if you are going to start using Civil 3D with intent to bill time and make profits.

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
Here is a place to start ... I am sure sinc has updated things and added some functionality in the interim.
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=27405.msg329741#msg329741

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of SincPac - I checked it out some time ago.

Management is obviously interested in mitigating wasted production time. I just might be able to push for this here shortly...

I've got until May 1st to have two C3D 2011 deployments ready, one for our internal standard, and one for the client referenced above... and potentially a third C3D+AMEP 2012 deployment for another client depending on when that contract is signed.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
While Sincpac has some tools for working with styles (Rename, Compare, Change layers and/or Text Styles, Import, Export) I'm not quite sure if even these will solve the problem you describe. They will likely be of some help, but it sounds more like a layer & text style/size issue is at play here. Doesn't sound like much fun. But, if you can describe exactly what you'd need, and what Sincpac can't yet do, just let Sinc or I know and we'll see what we can muster up.

Jeff <<<<<<<<Glad he works for a company that only has to adhere to their own internal standards.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
That is very kind of you to offer, Jeff.

I'll put some thought into this, and post back after work.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

yes, but it wont overwrite styles that are in use.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10