Author Topic: Tracking Blueprints  (Read 5661 times)

sestes

Tracking Blueprints
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:05:59 AM »
Hey guys, I'd like get your opinions on this topic.   I work for a security company, so obviously I do the security prints.  Recently I've been given the task of finding a way to track our blueprints.  Meaning which field installer has what print, and is it the latest revision.  This is a fairly small but well known company in the industry so this really hasn't been a problem for me.  But our jobs are growing and work is speeding up so it will help.  On top of that, they also want blueprints returned at the end of the installation for destruction.  I'm leaning towards an Access database that is constantly updated.  We are also looking into bar coding and scanning.  Just wondering what your procedures are at your company for this sort of thing.  Any input would help.

hendie

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 11:24:40 AM »
depends upon how much maintenance and user interaction you want.
places I've worked at previously have used anything from an Access db to an Excel spreadsheet for that purpose. Unless you're absolutely meticulous and very attentive, there's always a sheet or two that slips through. It may be worth looking into some form of EDMS for your document control

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 11:26:39 AM »
As I'm sure you're aware, there are numerous ways you could do this.
Access is not a bad idea, but you could use Excel just as easily unless you ARE going to go with a bar coding system, then I'd probably stick with Access.  For hard copies, we have all of our drawings in 11x17 binders and the masters are printed on yellow bond paper.  When a drawing is signed out to someone, the yellow is replaced with a white copy and a stamp is placed on it saying who it's signed out to, for which project and when, etc.  It remains in there until the project is complete.

That's one idea anyway...not the best, but...an idea...

Hope that helps,
Mike

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 11:28:57 AM »
Both Hendie and I use AMW and I know there are others in here who do as well.  The most recent version is called AM-Teamwork or AM-Meridian and the website is www.cyco.com
They seem to be a little difficult to work with.  (The salespeople, that is...)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 11:43:30 AM »
The real problem with security documents is that unless your techs are trustworthy you cannot control the documents. For instance, what is to prevent a person from signing out the documents, running down to the nearest Kinko's and making 3 copies for the other techs working with him. He then returns the original to the office, where they dutifully accept it for safe keeping and remove his name from the "who has this drawing" column. Meanwhile, he still has 3 copies (or more) that are floating about for anyone with two brain cells and one good eye to get their hands on.
Then again even those with the highest security clearance cannot be trusted sometimes. Just look at Sandy Berger ... but then again .. nobody remembers him now do they.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

sestes

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 11:55:07 AM »
I like what AM-Meridian has to offer, I didn't see a price on the website though.  I've also heard of color coating the revisions. The reason I am leaning towards Access is the integration of the bar coding database, and the read only reports that can be viewed in the other departments.   What I've done so far is created a master hard copy of each active job (30x42).  I then make a label of the job specific tracking number (this is where the bar coding would come into effect), I use this formula:  Job number-Revision Number-Revision letter (for small touch ups).  I place the label in the bottom right corner of the title sheet.  When copies are made, the tracking number is duplicated however many of times for that specific set and assigned to the installers.  This is all logged into the database by tracking number and installer’s name, and is now being tracked.  I actually haven’t completed this system though, so I'm not sure of any bugs yet.  Also, it is very very hard to get my company to spend any money aside from materials needed.  So I must be creative.  Thaks for the advice.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

sestes

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 12:09:30 PM »
Quote from: Keith
The real problem with security documents is that unless your techs are trustworthy you cannot control the documents. For instance, what is to prevent a person from signing out the documents, running down to the nearest Kinko's and making 3 copies for the other techs working with him. He then returns the original to the office, where they dutifully accept it for safe keeping and remove his name from the "who has this drawing" column. Meanwhile, he still has 3 copies (or more) that are floating about for anyone with two brain cells and one good eye to get their hands on.
Then again even those with the highest security clearance cannot be trusted sometimes. Just look at Sandy Berger ... but then again .. nobody remembers him now do they.

Your right, it is a good point, you can never be to secure.  However, being in the security industry we are extremely liable for misuse of these prints.  If they fall into the wrong hands who knows what can happen.  Like the exact locations and field of view for security cameras at a bank or a museum, which door is locked down by a card reader etc.  You get the picture, because of this liability, we are very cautious of who has what print, and its destruction after use.  Employees are told NOT to duplicate these or leave them lying around.  If copies are needed they come to me.  These rules are enforced by all the project managers.  This is why the tracking is an important issue.  Drawing files are also on a secondary server in my office, connected by a secondary network card for my access only.  No person in the outside world could get to these files.  Issues like this are the reason why I wanted to post this topic.

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
Stamps could be used...

Something like:
"THIS DOCUMENT, NOR ANY PORTION OF IT IS TO BE REPRODUCED IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. --> Insert legal BS here <--"
If the stamp isn't in red or the colour of the ink, you know it's been photocopied, but as Keith said, there's no 100% guarantee...ever.  The key I have for our office building has a stamp in it saying "Do Not Copy" and anyone who's cutting keys should notice that.

Again...just an idea...

sestes

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 01:11:19 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
Stamps could be used...

Something like:
"THIS DOCUMENT, NOR ANY PORTION OF IT IS TO BE REPRODUCED IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. --> Insert legal BS here <--"
If the stamp isn't in red or the colour of the ink, you know it's been photocopied, but as Keith said, there's no 100% guarantee...ever.  The key I have for our office building has a stamp in it saying "Do Not Copy" and anyone who's cutting keys should notice that.

Again...just an idea...

Oh yeah, I also have a propritary stamp with our logo on it.  i like the do not copy stamp.  I'll look into that.

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »
Maybe state something in the stamp about the colour of it and what it should be...I dunno...There are lots of options.

hendie

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 01:32:39 PM »
Meridian ~ you're probably looking at between £10K & £20K for a small to medium setup. that's providing you already have good enough servers.
it's way over -priced but they get the market. there are others though

sestes

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 01:39:21 PM »
Quote from: hendie
Meridian ~ you're probably looking at between £10K & £20K for a small to medium setup. that's providing you already have good enough servers.
it's way over -priced but they get the market. there are others though

What is that in American money? If I look for other software, what is this type of software labeled as?

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 01:54:16 PM »
Too much...

hendie

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 03:33:43 AM »
Quote from: sestes
What is that in American money? If I look for other software, what is this type of software labeled as?

that'd be Dollars that yous American fowk use o'er ther  :P

I think the exchange rate is around £1 = $1.7 'ish

you can search for Document Control, Data Management, EDMS Data Control etc etc
there is one called Columbus (?) which is free but i've no idea how good it is. If you want true security then you have to pay the price

M-dub

Tracking Blueprints
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 07:45:28 AM »
http://www.gdox.com/
We looked at this one a while ago.  It was pretty nice, but we couldn't go with it because it would have broken our hyperlinking to the drawings from all kinds of different documents.  Long story, but Gdox is worth checking out, anyway.