Author Topic: Expression for Pipe Direction  (Read 4755 times)

dfarris75

Expression for Pipe Direction
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
Could one create an expression that would render a direction (n,s,e,w, etc.) as a different value. In fdot work they use "ah" for ahead, "bk" for back, "lt" for left, and "rt" for right to label inverts in structure labels. For my current project north would always be "ah" in the label so I want an expression that will effectively convert "n" to "ah", "s" to "bk", so on and so forth.

I have not used expressions thus far.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:31:14 PM by rustysilo »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Expression for Pipe Direction
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
Pretty sure you are not going to get this to happen automatically....you will find a collection of well named pipe label styles applied individually will achieve this

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
Pretty sure you are not going to get this to happen automatically....you will find a collection of well named pipe label styles applied individually will achieve this

The reason for this is a LIMITATION of the Expression themselves.  From the HELP file:

Restrictions

Expressions are mathematical formulas that are used to compute a value. No text can be added directly to them. Any text you want to include can be added to the label style. For example, to convert feet to meters, you could set up the following expression:

Thanks for asking; as I had pondered this without looking up why Expressions seemed to be 'limited' despite their promise of power.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
I saw that in the "somewhat helps" file, but wasn't sure that's what it meant entirely...

You're welcome though. Have a nice weekend!

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Could one create an expression that would render a direction (n,s,e,w, etc.) as a different value. In fdot work they use "ah" for ahead, "bk" for back, "lt" for left, and "rt" for right to label inverts in structure labels. For my current project north would always be "ah" in the label so I want an expression that will effectively convert "n" to "ah", "s" to "bk", so on and so forth.

I have not used expressions thus far.

Rusty do you have to use an expression. I found in pipe direction of my in's and outs this in a pulldown:

(see attached png)

It adds a direction from the structure. Or is that not the end result you are looking for?

MJP
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

dfarris75

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
Nope. That's what I'm using, but in the project we're working on, we are using an fdot styled plan set. They use ah, bk, lt, and rt in the sections instead of n, s, e, w. I'm not sure why. :| I think it's a bit silly. What's even sillier is that it is a city project, not dot, and as far as I know the city doesn't require this, but for some reason we're doing it. Anyway...

ah = ahead = up station on the alignment/baseline
bk = back = back station on the alignment/baseline
lt = left = to the left in the section
rt = right = to the right in the section

See attached image for an example.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »
And in this project the road runs n/s so in the sections north is always going to be ah, or ahead, south will be bk, or back, etc. so I was just looking to automate the structure labels so I wouldn't have to do manual adjustments, but I guess it's a no-go. That's OK though. I'm getting used to being let down by Autodesk.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
and those items will become TEXT items added to well named styles to label these items
you will get the labels you desire, only it will be semi automatic, in that you will need to select style, and use the Add Labels Dialog, instead of any of the global, Pipe Network label operations.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
I'm not sure how one would set up a label style that would do this...? *scratches head*

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
and those items will become TEXT items added to well named styles to label these items
you will get the labels you desire, only it will be semi automatic, in that you will need to select style, and use the Add Labels Dialog, instead of any of the global, Pipe Network label operations.
Mike
I think I understand what you are looking at but want to confirm, and if you EditLabelText on your label you get a dialog box see attachment and pick the label location In or Out and add a text string. It only does that label Not the Style. Is this what you are using Mike?  Also I have to apologize about the size of my png's  my people here haven't been able to show me how to cut them down so they show a whole page. What software is everyone using to make a png? I have been using powerpoint. Our chest of software is limited.

MJP

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:33:08 PM by sourdoug »

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »
No, just put in the Style; as in StyleName: Pipe and Invert (AH)

then in the Label Style composer assemble format and arrange the information you want to show and then ADD the additional text by typing it in the box.  Like the image shown.

Then the user must add the labels using the proper named styles from the add labels dialog, NOT any of the add label operations found under the Pipes pull-down or Ribbon

The RED information is typed in to the Label Style Composer....
the user will wind of with a collection of WELL Named Styles the he will need to STOP and think about a minute and place them using the General>>Add Labels operation, and selecting the correct label style object for each as needed.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
You can save a png file out of paint.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Snipping Tool, ot of Vista
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »
You can save a png file out of paint.
Thanks
MJP

Win 10 64bit

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
No, just put in the Style; as in StyleName: Pipe and Invert (AH)

then in the Label Style composer assemble format and arrange the information you want to show and then ADD the additional text by typing it in the box.  Like the image shown.

Then the user must add the labels using the proper named styles from the add labels dialog, NOT any of the add label operations found under the Pipes pull-down or Ribbon

The RED information is typed in to the Label Style Composer....
the user will wind of with a collection of WELL Named Styles the he will need to STOP and think about a minute and place them using the General>>Add Labels operation, and selecting the correct label style object for each as needed.

Ok gottcha, thought it was just a one time edit, not style edit.
Thanks
MJP

Win 10 64bit

dfarris75

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
I use the GIMP.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

Ok gottcha, thought it was just a one time edit, not style edit.
Thanks
MJP

To be most clear.

NO this is NOT a style editing operation!

This is creating a Group of Specific Styles that will be applied very discreetly by the operator.

So it is actually a NO Time Edit. Apply the desired label and move on.  You just have to NOT label when you create the networks.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
Only thing here though is when I click on a "crossing pipe" it selects the whole structure (that said pipe is attached to) and adds a structure label... Did I screw up?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
what are you using?

single part plan?
single part profile?
or
single part Section?

and are you labeling the pipes in Profile and or Sections?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
single part section. label in section view.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »
single part section. label in section view.

And then you DEPRESS and HOLD down the CTRL key to highlight the Object you desire to Label.

Right???
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »
Only thing here though is when I click on a "crossing pipe" it selects the whole structure (that said pipe is attached to) and adds a structure label... Did I screw up?

what you are actually seeing is that the ENTIRE

Pipe Network Object is highlighting....

you want to use the CTRL key to select the sub object within the Network in question.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
Uhm... Well I uhh... Yes of course I did and oh looky here it's working fine now. I have no idea what I did earlier. Yeah it's working fine now. What you think I didn't or something??? Pff. Plz homey. You know me. I wouldn't forget such a thing. Pff. Everything's fine here now. Depress the ctrl key. Of course I did.

*Walks off mumbling* Man I gotta quit licking those Civil 3d toads.