Author Topic: AUTO LINE DRAW  (Read 13815 times)

Dent Cermak

Re: AUTO LINE DRAW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:41:15 PM »
True. Whenever the new Land development desktop/ Civil3d, or however they are going to do it, comes out, this capability should be there. If you have a copy of the 2005 survey pack or 2006 or any pack that has the figure prefix library option in it, then the little file I just put in my folder on the Lilly pond may knock your socks off. LILLY POND/ DENT/ 5081TOPO.FBK
Give it a shot and see if, even though your figure prefix library isn't set up yet, enough will come in to give you an idea of the possibilities.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 03:32:57 PM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
.... functionality MAY be included then.
It is :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 03:40:30 PM »
Good . . . perhaps I can win the battle on that front.  We have spent BIG bucks the last few years on GPS and Robotic setups, but they refuse to give an inch on something they already have.  On the other hand, if the darned thing starts drawing itself I may get to go the long road home kicking rocks.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
Dino, import my field book into your setup and tell me what happens ? I think some of the line work will come in. be interesting to know. But it will have to be into your LDT. I don't think it will do in Eagle Point.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Dudes, Dino, Yup. I do use Civil 3D for Design, but as for processing FBKs I do still use LDD 2k5. And we only use B C3 E and thats it.

I was hoping there was an easier way but it works... Right now, we have alittle glitch in our processing when we take the RAW to a FBK. Lines do not end and we have to edit the FBK to make it end... strange I know...

But i was also told you can use this:

http://www.i-boards.com/bnp/pob/messages.asp?MsgID=513585&ThreadID=49971&IsResponse=False#513585

Chk this page... has alot!
Civil3D 2020

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
All I seem to get from this are 12 very short polylines, one that is a bit longer and one long polyline.  I did see it trying to draw the stuff.  We of course have nothing set up for this in the template.  Is that the problem?

Dent Cermak

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 04:14:01 PM »
Probably. When set up, it draws a parking lot to include the curb lines anf all stripes, plust tops, toes, etc. you can open the field book file in either windows exploreer in notepad or in AutoCad under the edit a field book file and see the items it's trying to draw by the codes. Perhaps if you set up the ea, top, toe etc in your figure prefix library?

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try after I get the surveyors their storm sewer points on Monday.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »
Look in the Lilly Pond under my folder at the linetest.dwg file. That is what you get on importing a fieldbook when autoline draw is set up. If I had checked the box for descriptor keys, all of my symbol blocks would be there too.
Just had an interesting phone call from Mr. Farrell. Somebody needs to give him some Valium!  :-D Oh, if I just knew a third of what he does!! Maybe one day I can talk my boss into paying for one of Mike's classes. I will start trying Monday AM when BIGBOSSMAN gets back in town.
Anyway, take a look at that dwg file and realize that that is 3 SECONDS worth of work.

Dinosaur

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
. . . Just had an interesting phone call from Mr. Farrell. Somebody needs to give him some Valium!  :-D Oh, if I just knew a third of what he does!! Maybe one day I can talk my boss into paying for one of Mike's classes. I will start trying Monday AM when BIGBOSSMAN gets back in town . . .
No Dent, That is him ON Valium.  The first time I talked with him was when he woke me with a 7:00am phone call on a Sunday morning.  Good luck getting that training, it will be well worth the price.  I paid my own way + air fare to North Carolina for mine a year ago this weekend and have never regretted it.

Craig Davis

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
Yes sir, I am.  According to them, it is easier for me to do that than them having to learn how to use a modern program . . . I guess that it IS . . . for them.

I can't believe that.

We stopped joining the dots 4 years after I started working in survey. That was 20 years ago!!!!!!!!

I thought our surveyors could be stubborn but that's just rediculous!!!!

I really feel for you. :cry:

Dent Cermak

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »
Welcome to the "Ten Percent". According to my VAR, that's the percentage of users that don't do the dot to dot or lines by sequential point numbers.
It's good that so many have so much time to waste.  :evil:

Craig Davis

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »
Welcome to the "Ten Percent". According to my VAR, that's the percentage of users that don't do the dot to dot or lines by sequential point numbers.
It's good that so many have so much time to waste.  :evil:

Our surveyors must be the black sheep of the profession. They do as much on site as they can. Basically all they do back in the office is do any translation to the file and amend any crossing breaklines. We haven't gone fully Civil3D yet but the 3rd party survey package that we have will even attach a kerb profile to a string which will create a 3D model.

Forgive me if my terminology is slightly different us convicts have grown up in a different environment.  ;-)

Makes it hard to get involved in the indepth Civil3D discussions as we use a 3rd party program (Advanced Road Design) also for road design. It's actually starting to be shipped internationally now.

Occasionally I need to do a little bit of fine tuning for the triangular mesh but most of the time the survey is ready to go.

I just find it hard to believe that everyone is not using such a time saving feature. No disrepect to surveyors but that part of the whole design process is one of the most repetitive parts that can be automated.

Dinosaur

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
Some old hounds just can't handle it when you move their dinner dish.  These guys also don't understand the benefits of viewports and paperspace, sheetset manager or even the use of sheet sets, fields, tables or any thing to do with MAP queries or cleanup operations.  Today for the 3rd time in 18 months it has been decreed that Civil 3D was just too complicated and impossible to work with (because they have rejected the idea of ANY form of training) that two projects already started with it are to be converted to LDT (which they also don't don't know how to use - ie Autoline draw).

Craig Davis

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »
Dino,

I really feel for you.

I know how frustrated I can get here with surveyors who even budge as much as ours have.

Hopefully you'll get some in some day that will be open to modern ideas.

Good luck.

Craig