Author Topic: Disappointed in Autodesk . Hope here I get my answer.  (Read 4581 times)

JanetDavidson

• Mosquito
Disappointed in Autodesk . Hope here I get my answer.
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
Hello there. I posted this question in Autodesk and nobody so far answered me.
I repeat it exactly here.

Once I saw a  third party application . One of its feature was very interesting ,which I want to simulate it . But don't know how to start.
They  had  these  commands  like  sc100 , sc50 , sc25 and so forth....
In modal space,
We enter sc100  command and  then draw a line in 1000 units  length.
Then if we enter sc50 command  and draw a line in 1000 units , the line lenght  is doubled .
How is it possible ? What is the approach to have this. Could somebody give me  an idea what the program is doing?
Even at bottom left hand side of screen during drawing line ( the coordinate display ) in both cases shows  1000 . But on screen the length is different.
Thanks in advance for looking and thinking about me.
Regards,
Janet.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Disappointed in Autodesk . Hope here I get my answer.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
I was about to reply with "It's not too difficult to do" until I realized you posted in the .NET forum.   :oops:

"It's not too difficult to do... with Autolisp."  :)

How does the program work?  Do you pick a starting point and then another for the angle of the line or does it just automatically draw it horizontally or vertically?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
The sc50 command makes it double or 50 times the length of previous line?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
My thoughts....although it's bass-ackwards of what Janet described. SC100 would be a line 100% the length drawn, SC50 would be created at 50% the length, SC25 would be 25%, SC200 would be 200% (or doubled). Even in .NET this would be relatively simple. One method to ask for the 2 pick points for the line, add the line, then each commandmethod would multiply the length by the Command's scale factor, change the endpoint accordingly, then add it to modelspace.

But, based on Janet's description, I'm not sure this is really what she's wanting to do.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
I think the "SCnnn" may be referring to a drawing scale e.g. "SC100" = 1:100, "SC50" = 1:50.  But again thats bass-ackward for conventional drawing procedures, and may be the result of a (set of) commands being used other than as they were originally intended.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »
I was just about to post, when Dgorsman beat me to it.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »
Janet may be back to qualify her question ..

meanwhile dgorsman, I like your current sig :)
try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

JanetDavidson

• Mosquito
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
Wow !!!!
Seems we have more caring people here than Autodesk.Honestly I didn't expect this.
Thank you all gentlemen :
Jeff_M / dgorsman / Jeff H/ RenderMan / kdub_bne /Matt

Well your guess is right. The program does a traditional scaling on model space. and basically is  an old program(2000) . But the part which I need to understand  from this program is how on earth they managed to change the coordinate display on left bottom hand side of screen ?

Maybe it was my fault to try to explain the program functions, by a Line example in my post. But the thing is it applies to all drawing commands in autocad(Cicely , Rec, Ellipse , ...so forth . So don't think about writing a  custom line / circle / or .... any other command.

I used Line just to be able to explain the program function . You know when we draw a line ,after picking the first point it ask for second point. and we are able to  see the length and angle of second point on coordination display(left bottom). That length is what they change by  sc??? command . and that is what I want.

Thanks for Looking and Caring. Hope somebody will solve this Enigma.
Janet.

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »

Hi Janet, Welcome to theSwamp.

At first thought

The MODEMACRO system variable can be used to write to the Status Line.
I imagine your old routine used ARX to do it's magic.

I am visualising a complicate usage of reactors to catch the native AutoCAD commands.

I took your post to read that you are drawing the entities at the points selected and reporting the scaled length/properties after the entity is drawn.

Regards
Kerry (the ogre to some)
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

JanetDavidson

• Mosquito
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »

At first thought

I am visualising a complicate usage of reactors to catch the native AutoCAD commands.

I took your post to read that you are drawing the entities at the points selected and reporting the scaled length/properties after the entity is drawn.

Regards
Kerry (the ogre to some)

Thanks Kerry and Yes  the program is in ARX.
And yes again I draw entities at the points selected and reporting the scaled length/properties after the entity is drawn.
scaled length is not big deal I can manage to get the right dimension using the DIMSCALE and DIMLFACT. My only problem is the display coordination during inputing data and when user want to put the lenght at command prompt.
Attached Please find a demo of what it does. Hope somebody could give me a hand .
Again just reminding, I tried to use line command as a sample to show what program does. In reality it will scale any object .
Even linetypes scale , inserting blocks and xrefs. I am amazed how somebody 11 years ago come up with this idea and now with all these tools and new command in .net can't manage this.
Regards,
Janet.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:12:46 AM by JanetDavidson »

JanetDavidson

• Mosquito
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »

At first thought

Regards
Kerry (the ogre to some)

Hello again everybody.
I  made a clip to show the funtion of their program. Please don't let me down here.
Just reminding. Video show just line. But in reality everything would be scaled accordingly. So don't assume I need a custom line command.

Janet.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
So in essence it is mimicking working through Paperspace Viewports in Modelspace. Which makes me wonder why not use the built in tools?

BTW, not sure why you are disappointed in Autodesk due to no responses on their forum. It is a peer to peer forum just like this one (well, not EXACTLY like this one) with many of us contributing there as well, but rarely will you see someone who works for Autodesk post there.

kaefer

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
So in essence it is mimicking working through Paperspace Viewports in Modelspace. Which makes me wonder why not use the built in tools?

Because that's the way certain structural engineers have always been plying their trade? The original application seem to have something to do with CADS, which has a whiff of out-of-dateness about it. Besides, there's at least one other structural application doing the same, SOFiCAD.

I for one wouldn't want to replicate those modelspace scaling tools, but then I work for Building Services...

JanetDavidson

• Mosquito
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

When users dealing with lots of text in drawing working with annotation scale  is not that fast. Time consuming. Annotation scale is good for Architects and some other trades . But for steel strcutures shop drawings , it is a pain.
Well. I guess I have to wait maybe somebody come up with a solution.
Anyways Thanks for trying Gentlemen.

Janet.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
I posted this question in Autodesk and nobody so far answered me.

Quote from: JanetDavidson
Seems we have more caring people here than Autodesk

Back in the day when NNTP was the only choice, the Autodesk newsgroups were basically the only place to go and it was an excellent resource for information. A lot of what you might call old timers (people that had been using AutoCAD from its start) were around and of course you have to consider that AutoCAD itself didn't have near the features it has today...

When they started migrating to HTTP and killed off "Take 5", I think a lot of those people moved on, whether for those reasons or others. Fast forward to today, and my impression is that there are a lot more novices asking questions than there are knowledgeable people answering them.  I think this is especially true for the vanilla forums, maybe not so much for the forums dedicated to the vertical products.

Just my 2 ₵