Author Topic: Lisp closes Acad?  (Read 2099 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Lisp closes Acad?
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
I just came across a problem that I have not seen discussed before. With both R2006 & R2007 installed, I can no longer run (VL*-) anything in the 2006 install. Trying to debug by going to the VLIDE in 2006 causes Acad to shutdown immediately, no error, no nothin', no Acad.

Has anyone else encountered this? I tried a repair install but that didn't change the outcome.

sinc

Re: Lisp closes Acad?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
I just came across a problem that I have not seen discussed before. With both R2006 & R2007 installed, I can no longer run (VL*-) anything in the 2006 install. Trying to debug by going to the VLIDE in 2006 causes Acad to shutdown immediately, no error, no nothin', no Acad.

Has anyone else encountered this? I tried a repair install but that didn't change the outcome.

Never made it that far.

Most of my custom LISP routines use Land Desktop, and access to the AECC.APPLICATION object in 2006 is broken as soon as you install 2007.  So nearly all of my LISP routines would error out right at the very beginning.  That was what initially sucked me into the upgrade path - I originally installed 2007 to check it out and see if it fixed any of the severe problems in 2006 SP1, and ran into this.  I had a choice of uninstalling everything and reinstalling 2006, or just switching to 2007 and making the best of it.  I chose the latter route (a choice I very much regretted until 2007 SP1 finally came out).

That seems to be par for the course - the initial release of any Autodesk software should not be expected to work.  It seems like Autodesk feels the average user should expect to wait for at least SP1 before they install anything.  And actually, 2007 SP1 is still only what I would consider to be a "beta" release, but I guess Autodesk has lower standards...   
:realmad:

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:36:06 PM »
Wow, has it been that long since I tried to do anything with 2006? I've had 2007 installed for quite some time but just within the past month or so actually started using it. Although I haven't run Land2007 any longer than it took to authorize.....it's been strictly C3D for me. Any LDT that I still do is in LDT3. The only time I've used LDT2006 is to test my lisp to make sure it works, but today I can't even load up VLIDE to see it....

Looks like a bug report needs to be filed at Adesk. I find it hard to believe that you & I are the only ones that have encountered this, but my searches have come up empty.

sinc

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »
Looks like a bug report needs to be filed at Adesk. I find it hard to believe that you & I are the only ones that have encountered this, but my searches have come up empty.

There don't seem to be a whole lot of people who've done the switch to Land Desktop 2007 yet.  I think it might have something to do with what Autodesk decided to do to AECC_POINT objects, making them turn into useless blocks when exported to earlier versions of Land Desktop...   :ugly:

If what you notice is the same problem I noticed, then I already reported it to Autodesk, and they verified that they noticed a problem.  They also told me I should be accessing the "AECC.APPLICATION.7" object, and not the "AECC.APPLICATION" object, but that made absolutely no difference.

I took advantage of the opportunity to complain about the fact that we are now supposed to include the version name in the application object.  I also complained about the fact that they keep changing the name of the type library.  I pointed out that if I write a routine that works in LDD 2004, it will continue to work in later versions.  But their rules cause Lisp routines to break in every version.  For example, since I prefer to use the LDD type library, I now have to include the following in every Lisp routine:
Code: [Select]
  (setq avn (substr (getvar "ACADVER") 1 4)
tlb (cond
      ((= avn "16.2") "landauto46.tlb") ; LDD 2006
      ((= avn "17.0") "landauto50.tlb") ; LDD 2007
              ; add new line here for future versions
      ("landauto.tlb") ; all other versions
    )
  )
When 2008 comes out, I will have to figure out what they decided to name the library for this version, and then edit the code appropriately.  My Lisp routines will not work until I do this.  As soon as I do this, they will most likely all work the same as before.  Causing Lisp routines to break with every version for such a silly reason is... well, silly.  The QA person said "I feel your pain, and will pass it on to the developers."  Don't know if anything will change, though...   :?

(There is undoubtedly a real fix for the above problem that uses wildcards, and searches the support path for any file that matches "landauto*", but it gets to be an awful lot of effort for something that serves absolutely no purpose...)