Author Topic: Vault yeah or neah  (Read 21918 times)

Dinosaur

Re: Vault yeah or neah
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Regardless of the worth of any individual, watching two salesmen ~~
I understand, but I want to emphasize that the resumes for both of these gentlemen has "salesman" listed very low on their list of credentials.  Both have been hammering away at Civil 3D from its initial "pre-release" CD was sent out in late 2004 or before, trying to figure out exactly how to tame the beast in the most efficient way possible.   Their sales credentials are limited to the marketing of their services as trainers using their differing ideas of the best means to that end.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
Just for clarity there BARC, I am not a salesman, nor do I fill a sales role.

Mr. Wedding on the other hand IS a salesman and fills a sales role for autodesk and has stated so explicitly.

In short my complaint is the same as yours, in that the discussion appeared
to be hijacked and turned into a sales pitch for a product that on the surface
is the same as or no better than the free product that doesn't work for 90% of Civil Engineering firms.
So we are in agreement about that point.
Overall I wouldn't have an issue with someone trying to sell, as long as they kept the discussion in the public forum.
Or, as I asked the question arises, "what do they have to hide?".  And if not hiding something then it is obvious
that the discussion had turned from one with technical merit to a sales presentation and is out of place.
Had the discussion remain focused on Vault and it's usability or lack thereof, I would have had no issue.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

barc

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Dino and Styk  I quite understand that these guys may be the very best in their fields and it is the rare topic from which something can't be learned.  However, the salesmen hats floated abruptly to the top of this discussion, and when that happens I'd just as soon not see the thread in my "new replies" list (the same with the photos thread and the "what book are you reading" thread for that matter).  I know it's just two clicks to lose it for the day but I'm getting lazy in my old age.

barc

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
Higgs, I have no issue with anyone attempting to sell anything, software, services or whatever, I just don't find it entertaining to watch.  I make no judgements about the worth of either of you or your positions.  For the same reasons I don't have the home shopping network on my TV favorites list, I'd like to "unsubscribe" from this thread.  Knowing now that posting a reply in a thread forever enslaves me to it, I will be much more careful in the future.

StykFacE

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »
It's not a sales pitch if you are a 3rd party user and believe in the product from personal experience. It then becomes a mentor offering real-world advice.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »

Why would you do that?
This is what makes the Swamp great?
Letting the most passionate, knowledgeable people say what they want?

Aye barc .... this was decidedly mild interaction between these two.  They have a mutual admiration society going on in this topic.  A few years ago, I had to pull the plug on one of my own threads and even one started by Mark himself when their dialog took an unfortunate direction.  Incidentally, I have had actual social and professional contact with both of these gentlemen and shared food and drink at their table albeit in separate locations.  I respect them both and guarantee that choosing to ignore the posts of either will be a missed opportunity to learn.
Regardless of the worth of any individual, watching two salesmen bit@$ about each others sales tactics is, for me, less than entertaining.  Its not about the discussion being heated or mild, its about the value of the discussion to me.  I don't wish to ignore either user, I don't even wish to ignore this thread. I'm just looking for a way to keep this thread and others in which I may have posted from showing up in my "new replies" list.
I'll be much more careful in choosing which threads to post responses in the future.

It's sooooo easy to ignore....   Don't read it....    ;-)

Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »
I have for sale a 'Remove from New Post List tool'

Sorry sales pitch

barc

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »
It's not a sales pitch if you are a 3rd party user and believe in the product from personal experience. It then becomes a mentor offering real-world advice.
Did you read the same half a dozen posts I did before I posted, I saw very little mentoring of any kind, just two salesmen bit@$ing about the others tactics.  If you liked it, feel free to carry on, I just don't want it poppong up in my "New Replies" list  ... but it seems I'm stuck with it.

JCTER

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »
Thank god we have members here looking out for my best interests to save me from private conversations.  Who knows what I could fall victim to if I didn't have people telling me who, when, and where to talk to people?  I might have to make my own decisions, then!

barc

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »
It's sooooo easy to ignore....   Don't read it....    ;-)
I have to at least click on it to get it to go away from my list.  I have 7 or 8 there now I wish I'd never posted to, but then a life without mistakes is one not lived, right?

barc

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
Thank god we have members here looking out for my best interests to save me from private conversations.  Who knows what I could fall victim to if I didn't have people telling me who, when, and where to talk to people?  I might have to make my own decisions, then!
Second time in a week I've danged near choked on my samich.  :)

barc

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

Sorry sales pitch
How much ... or do we have to take it private??

StykFacE

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
www.theswamp.org needs to be changed to www.thebarcswamp.org apparently.  :lmao:

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

Sorry sales pitch
How much ... or do we have to take it private??
Just Joking

trying to lighten the mood

Dinosaur

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »
Just Joking

trying to lighten the mood
Thanks Jeff H, is appreciated