Author Topic: I MAY get them to upgrade, but....  (Read 4474 times)

Dinosaur

Re: I MAY get them to upgrade, but....
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
I have not looked into the Cost of LT yet, BUT, I did tell our IT Dept. to hold on my request for LT. I am going to wait for the Latest Rev to come out, then purchase that Rev.

I have HEAVILY customized LT with MANY Macros. I then load them on all 10 of our seats of LT. - I am assuming that BrisCAD can be customized like LT, but can I distribute those customizations easily like I can with LT?

Besides the price difference, what would I be gaining by going with BrisCAD? - I know I can do the 30 day trial, but I really don't have the time to 'Play'. I am hoping for the input from you folks before I take time away from Production to 'play'. If the concenses says it is MUCH Better and I will really gain by switching, then I will take that time and give the trial a chance.

Thanks for all of the Input folks. Please keep it coming.

craigr
Based on what I have seen thus far, I think you may have to modify your scripts but not heavily.  I only had on script and took some effort but I was jumping from '04 format where you are moving up from '08.  The dialog boxes looks a bit different but the customization I am doing is all based on a server.  If you are pushing them to individual machines you will likely have to research the paths required but should not be difficult once they are found.
The big plus for me was getting access to fields but you should already have those.  I am not sure what routines and applications are available and ready for V12 but I know there are more than you have for LT of any vintage.  Bricscad will give you the ability to customize beyond menus or scripts and open up 3D should you ever want to explore that option.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »
Of course my opinion is biased  :-P, but IMO, I would much rather have a seat of Bricscad pro than LT,  Just the ability to run lisp,vba,net,brx add-ons is enough to make the switch.  Throw in the 3d stuff, and well you have a nice package.

There are some features now that exceed Acad, for example Bricscad,s rendering engine supports video cards in SLI mode. I have two Nvidia GTX560 cards in SLI and Bricscad's performance absolutely crushes  Acad.

No doubt, full Acad is a kickazz program, and there was a time where I looked at the clones as too far behind performance and feature wise  to consider using.  But the guys in Belgium are coding their hearts out and putting together a competitive app.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:18 AM »
Dino,
links to the couple of apps I have for Bricscad
www.cadext.com/downloads/ExtTools.msi
www.cadext.com/downloads/DocTabs_EN.exe

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
Thanks Daniel, I am just about ready to show this stuff to Bossman and these might polish things up enough to push it over the top.  The last time I looked at Bricscad was V10 and it was pretty good but I am really impressed with V12.

craigr

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
So, the above post that showed some rendering, got me thinking....

Most of our work is some type of Commercial HVAC Controls. Our CAD dept draws HW / CW / HP Loop Systems as well as any Air Handling type equipment. We then put our sensors on those systems with Part #s, etc.   When  it comes time for these systtems to be programmed, our Programmers draw the same systems for their graphics packages. So really, our company draws them twice.

I have always wondered why my CAD Dept, can't draw them ONE time, with the rendering, so that they can be used on the Graphics. Of course, we would still need to draw our wiring details the typical way, again, using BrisCAD.

Could BrisCAD do good quality Graphics?

craigr

craigr

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
Since this thread has 'evolved' into a BrisCAD question, I have started a new thread at -

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=41233.new#new

craigr