Author Topic: Text Direction  (Read 7541 times)

Jassper

Text Direction
« on: April 22, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
Question on what the standards are for the direction of text when the north arrow is not point up... say it is pointing to the right (looking down at the plan). Which way would the text be placed? If you rotate the paper so the arrow is up would the text be right side up or upside down?

Thanks  Linda     :)

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Text Direction
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:07:03 AM »
The standard answer is text should read from left to right , the top of the text  being either the top of the sheet or toward the left hand side of the sheet. When reading plans most often North is to the top or to the left side of the sheet. Or you could say rotated 90 degrees left or counterclockwise. I've been drafting or designing for the last 25 years (a lot of it done by hand) and most if not all governmental agencies prefer it this way.
I drink beer and I know things....

M-dub

Text Direction
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 07:51:03 AM »
Agreed,
   Everything I've seen (that was done right) where north is pointed towards the left side of the drawing, you should have to turn the drawing clockwise 90°.  All text (in almost all cases) should read from left to right or bottom to top.  I'm sure some engineers and designers out there think otherwise, but you don't want to end up spinning the drawing all over the place to read the text.
Hope that helps... ;)
Mike

Dent Cermak

Text Direction
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 08:27:33 AM »
All text should read left to right from the bottom of the sheet or from the right hand side of the sheet. The u.s. Army Corps of Engineers put out a neat chart several years ago about text placement. They use a "15 degree" rule. Check out the Corps CAD standards manual that is available for a free download. There should be a chapter on text placement and alignment.

http://tsc.wes.army.mil/products/standards/aec/intro.asp

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Text Direction
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 08:42:12 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
All text should read left to right from the bottom of the sheet or from the right hand side of the sheet. The u.s. Army Corps of Engineers put out a neat chart several years ago about text placement. They use a "15 degree" rule. Check out the Corps CAD standards manual that is available for a free download. There should be a chapter on text placement and alignment.

http://tsc.wes.army.mil/products/standards/aec/intro.asp

Don't you mean LEFT hand side of the sheet, Dent? :D

Or is it my Right? Sorry no coffee yet....

Thanks for the link.

Dent Cermak

Text Direction
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:42:32 AM »
It's your right. North arrow to LEFT, read from right (which would then be the BOTTOM.) Skip the decaf, get the strong stuff!!
That Corps manual gives a lot of info. If you try to download it, you better have a lot of paper. You can build your own CAD standards based on that manual and be in good shape. Note also that they have a pretty good block library there too.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Text Direction
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 10:53:03 AM »
You're RIGHT, Dent.

hendie

Text Direction
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »
ssshhhh never, ever, ever, Ever tell Dent that !

he's already unbearable enough

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Text Direction
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 07:59:48 PM »
OOPS!! I forgot....
Dent, I was mistaken, guess your'e wrong even when yer right. :twisted:

Dent Cermak

Text Direction
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 09:45:28 PM »
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU WERE INTIMIDATED BY A MAN IN A SKIRT!!! He calls it a kilt, but it's still disgusting when ha bends over!  :shock:  :moon:

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
Text Direction
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 12:34:10 AM »
Not intimidated, even though I live in California, My ancestors came form Scotland, Just stickin' with the relatives.

Dent Cermak

Text Direction
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 01:37:58 PM »
OH NO!!Another kilt wearing, bag-o-pipes blowing Scootsman!!!!! Hey CzechMate, sign up more Czecs, we're getting out numbered!!

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Text Direction
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 10:02:25 PM »
I agree with the rest .... left to right and bottom to top....that is also the accepted standard from AIA
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

hyposmurf

Text Direction
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 06:55:13 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
OH NO!!Another kilt wearing, bag-o-pipes blowing Scootsman!!!!! Hey CzechMate, sign up more Czecs, we're getting out numbered!!

Looks like your out of luck there Dent the Czechs have very strong Celtic bloodlines.So I guess they were skirt wearers at one time too. :)

Dent Cermak

Text Direction
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 11:50:24 AM »
NAH!! We just lifted the skirts.