Author Topic: Dynamic Scaling  (Read 2262 times)

b-rye guy

Dynamic Scaling
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
Hello swampers,

I was wondering if it is possible to dynamically scale a block within a block?

Let me explain,

I have created a tree block with a diameter of 1 unit. When the user places the tree block they are prompted to specify a canopy size (diameter). For this example, they type in 20' as their desired tree canopy. The tree is placed in the drawing with a diameter of 20' now instead of 1. This works like a charm.

However,
Some employees have asked that I incorporate rootballs into the tree blocks so that they do not have to double up work. My approach was to incorporate the rootballs as dynamic blocks using visibility states for the different sizes (36" rootball, 48" rootball, etc.). However, when the canopy scaling comes in, I am not certain of how to control the rootball size. The way the blocks scale, a 48" rootball block within a 20' tree symbol will insert differently than the same 48" rootball placed within a 15' tree symbol.

So again, is there a way to account for the different rootball using visibility states or other dynamic block properties? I do not have access to the source code for placing trees into the drawing as it is a part of a software extension that our office uses. For this reason, I am limited to modifying the block. Maybe there is a way via LISP to quickly place a desired rootball block on top of an existing tree block so that we do not have to manually place each rootball in a file with 200+ trees?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from the audience.

Nibster

Re: Dynamic Scaling
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
what you will do is always leave the new tree block at a scale of 1.  use linear grips (or lookup) to control each component diameter.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »
what you will do is always leave the new tree block at a scale of 1.  use linear grips (or lookup) to control each component diameter.
same thought I was having...only draw three circles

rootball

trunk/base

and the canopy

then one can control all three and each component could also be on it's own layer, or use visibility state to control that portion of it
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »
Problem with Layer State is that ALL blocks will be on/off.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Problem with Layer State is that ALL blocks will be on/off.
true...about that, however IF a drawing needs to show canopy without rootball that can be done with nested layers in the block
otherwise one would need control vis states of all tress...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

b-rye guy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »

Thanks, this make sense. Just to confirm, with this method, I need to do the math and list lookup values for 24" rootballs at 10', 15', 20' canopy, etc. ?