Author Topic: batch plotting files  (Read 5779 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
batch plotting files
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
i've been trying for some time to conquer the issue of being able to batch plot multiple files.

i found autodesk's scriptpro, and it would be perfect, i could even write layout filters in my scripts. problem is, i found out that any version of autocad after 2004 (or 05) will not batch plot. it will just cancel the plot when it gets to that point.
I tried ezscript, but i just couldn't get it to run properly, it would create the script, but it would not run autocad.

i found several different batch plotting lisp routines floating around, but i haven't been able to locate one, or figure out how to modify it to suppress Land Desktop 2008's "not associated with a project" alert, etc. it will always hang up there.

i would prefer it to be outside of autocad, but i'm fully happy with executing a batch plot through autocad. really, all i want it to to is open each specified drawing and, either plot all layouts (not model) or only plot the layouts that match a defined filter (ie: "EMP"). i don't care about saving, i would prefer it didn't, i just want to be able to select all the files for a multi-sheet planset with my predefined filter parameters, it uses all predefined plot settings (we use pagesetups) and plot.

if anyone has had any luck with this in 2008 and would be willing to share some information, code, whatever, it would be greatly appreciated. i'm not looking for a handout, i'm fully prepared to get my hands dirty. i just know that there has to be other people running 08 that are able to batch plot multiple files.

thanks guys.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: batch plotting files
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
I batch plot all the time in 08, but its vanilla 08.  I use a combination of VBA and a script that I write myself in very short time.  I'll post the code if your interested
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
I batch plot all the time in 08, but its vanilla 08.  I use a combination of VBA and a script that I write myself in very short time.  I'll post the code if your interested
very interested.
does vba have the ability to bypass certain alerts?
Dropbox

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
What about the built in sheet set manager and page setup overrides?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
What about the built in sheet set manager and page setup overrides?
i was thinking about that, i've never used it, but i was reading about it. i'm curious though, we have all of our files stored on a data server and we use a file manager that we can "check out" files. it will copy the file from the data server onto our harddrive, then we can work off the file (no one else can edit the file until we check it back in. we are not allowed to do anything with files directly on the data drive except to xref a file, and those we can't even edit as a referenced file, we would have to check them out to edit (no one has write access to the data drive directly, only through our file manager interface program). so, my question is, would sheet set manager still be able to work. the 'high-ups' would have a fit if we were opening files directly off the data drive, even just to print?
Dropbox

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
All you would have to do is save the sheet set in that directory for the project (*.dst) file...then all they'd have to do is double click on the file and print whatever sheets needed. The printing overrides can all be stored in one file that everyone can access on the server and your sheet set points to that file.

HTH

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

SKUI_BREAKER

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
damn it sounds like your higher up are extremely paranoid.
I would flip out if i had to work there.
jess i mean its just a stupid computer file.
you must work for the CIA or FBI

but anyways i think a sheet set would still work in your application.

oh and if you do get it working remember that once you add a sheet no-one else can add it to there's or it can't be added to another sheetset and that you need to specify at beginning where your sheetset override dwg will be under SHeet Set Prop... the page setup override dwg location, and if that is located on your computer no-one else will be able to use the page setup overrides until the respecify it to a drawing in which they have access to (hopefully containing all the page setups)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:48:28 AM by SKUI_BREAKER »

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »
I've heard rumors of Sheet Set Manager and Land Desktop not playing well together - something to do with the multiple database files LDT uses as well as the inability to open multiple files at once.  And if you're going to plot drawings that are non-LDT drawings (I.E. don't have a project associated with them) I'm not how you could suppress that "Not associated" message box.  I rolled my own company-department-specific batch plotting VBA app for LDT (back in the day).

I'm sure Mike will pop his head in here.  His ears are probably burning at the very mention of LDT.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

psuchewinner

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »
You could always write some code to "build" a "DSD" file with info retrieved from the drawing.  With VLisp, you can get most, if not all, of the info without opening the acad file.  Just an idea.  That is how I have done it.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
i tried sheet set manager today, worked really well, sent 143 sheets to plotter and went to lunch. i'm curious, is there a way to have it NOT tag the picked drawings with the sheet set, that way they can be added to other sheet sets for plotting purposes? some of our plan sets will reference the same files for plotting, this is the issue i'm trying to get around.

on a side note, is there a setvar or anything to bypass the prompt about labels being created by softdesk application, would you like to convert them to static labels, ignore, etc.? i noticed that if this pops up, it will pause the plotting process.
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »
some of our plan sets will reference the same files for plotting, this is the issue i'm trying to get around.
A sheet can only be part of a single sheet set unfortunately.

on a side note, is there a setvar or anything to bypass the prompt about labels being created by softdesk application, would you like to convert them to static labels, ignore, etc.? i noticed that if this pops up, it will pause the plotting process.
Not that I'm aware of.  Why can't you just convert them and be done with it?
Autodesk Expert Elite

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
some of our plan sets will reference the same files for plotting, this is the issue i'm trying to get around.
A sheet can only be part of a single sheet set unfortunately.

Not that I'm aware of.  Why can't you just convert them and be done with it?
that sucks about SSM. is there a way to unassociate all of the files with the sheet set (delete the sheet set, etc.) after you've plotted everything. that's the only reason we would every have to have access to more than one of the files at a time. SSM is really awesome and useful, but we just don't need it except for plotting purposes.

i always convert them when i encounter it, but i can't speak for my fellow co-workers. i've stressed that a project should always be associated and convert all old softdesk objects, don't just cancel the warning message.

thanks for the response, btw :)
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »
is there a way to unassociate all of the files with the sheet set (delete the sheet set, etc.) after you've plotted everything.

Select the sheet in SSM and select the REMOVE SHEET option.  This is the 'correct' way to do it.
Autodesk Expert Elite

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
is there a way to unassociate all of the files with the sheet set (delete the sheet set, etc.) after you've plotted everything.

Select the sheet in SSM and select the REMOVE SHEET option.  This is the 'correct' way to do it.
oh ok, so when i "remove sheet", it will disassociate all the files with the sheet set? this is perfect.
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

is it possible to remove all sheets w/o having to select all sheets?
if you close sheet set, will that do the same thing?
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
You can select all of them at once (select one and use the shift key).

If you wanted to erase everying in a drawing, do you simply just close it?  Closing as Sheet Set just makes the drawings unavailable through the Sheet Set Manager.
Autodesk Expert Elite

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »

If you wanted to erase everying in a drawing, do you simply just close it?  Closing as Sheet Set just makes the drawings unavailable through the Sheet Set Manager.
i didn't mean actually closing sheet set manager (clicking the X), i mean where you right click on the sheet set and it has the option to close it. i was just wondering if you do that, will disassociate all drawings that were in the open sheet set. sorry about the miscommunication.
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »

i didn't mean actually closing sheet set manager (clicking the X), i mean where you right click on the sheet set and it has the option to close it. i was just wondering if you do that, will disassociate all drawings that were in the open sheet set. sorry about the miscommunication.

No.
Autodesk Expert Elite

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 11:42:59 AM »

No.
cool, thanks matt.
Dropbox