Author Topic: LaunchPad  (Read 5067 times)

Artisan

LaunchPad
« on: September 02, 2004, 05:02:05 PM »
I was curious to know if anyone here has used the LaunchPad keypad. I found it online and ordered an info pack on it. It seems pretty nice with a lot of features that may work well for someone who is a keystroker like myself. I'm not selling the product, I just want to get some opinions on it before I look into possibly buying it for my own use.

Thanks

MarkO

LaunchPad
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 05:07:14 PM »
Check out the Nostromo n52 at Belkin. I know of other users using this. I have one, just haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=157024

hyposmurf

LaunchPad
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 05:17:06 PM »
Can imagine the look others faces if I brought that into work :)

t-bear

LaunchPad
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 06:52:13 PM »
Smurf....let 'em look.  When you smoke through your dwgs at light speed, they'll be taking a second look...and gettin one of their own!
Artisan.....drop us a link, I'm always interested in lookin at new toys.....

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
LaunchPad
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 07:33:47 PM »
SAme here my Nostromo n52 works great.
I drink beer and I know things....

PDJ

LaunchPad
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 07:59:24 PM »
I'm waitin for a right handed version of the Nostromo so's I can run one with each hand..   Mebbe they'll make foot pedals too..  I actually wish my Nostromo had more mune options besides the our it has.. I know I could fill it up..

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
LaunchPad
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 01:03:05 AM »
Artisan, is THIS the LaunchPad you're talking about?

Artisan

LaunchPad
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 08:17:10 AM »
Yes, that is the launchpad that I was talking about. It is made just for CAD with a program that runs concurrent with your cad program. While it is based off of short key commands, it can be configured to do almost every thing, including opening menus, insertions, command control or anything else that gets the job done sooner. I called them and got an information packet from them with a CD that shows the item in use. I have to say that it looked really simple and productive. The thing that impressed me the most was that the program has an editing box for shortcut commands. No looking for that pgp file anymore, just edit on their program with no worries. I just wanted to see if anyone here had it and what they thought about it. The Nostromo looks interesting, but is it made just for CAD applications? Plus, that item looks pretty complicated to used, is it?

daron

LaunchPad
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 08:52:50 AM »
Quote from: PDJ
I'm waitin for a right handed version of the Nostromo so's I can run one with each hand..   Mebbe they'll make foot pedals too..  I actually wish my Nostromo had more mune options besides the our it has.. I know I could fill it up..

Paul, there are foot pedals. I've used them on a trial basis. Super cool, but really hard to get any accuracy. The right pedal in your cursor control and the left is a forward/backward click. Forward is pick and back is right-click. I would recommend if you're up for a steeeeeep learning curve, otherwise, no.

Launch pad? I was asked to try it. I tried it for about two hours. I didn't like it. Too much money for what we ourselves can accomplish on our own. The rest, i.e. buttons controls, you can find a sixteen button macro box for 100 dollars as opposed to the gobbs of money for lunch box... er... launch pad. No, I wouldn't recommend it, but then, form your own opinion.

Bob Garner

LaunchPad
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 10:49:57 AM »
Hmmm

Looks like a preprogrammed Nostromo.  I couldn't find any cost info on their website.  How much is this thing?  I kinda like the idea that it has an on-screen display of what buttons you're pushing although I hate giving up screen real estate.  I've gotten into the ergonomics of the Nostro; feels real natural, now.

Bob G.

Artisan

LaunchPad
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 11:17:10 AM »
Bob,
  The launchpad runs for about 495 bucks, which is pretty steep to me. They told me they offer financing for it also. I agree with you about the real estate on the screen being used for menus and such, but they told me that the menus are flyouts only and return to sidebar when not used. I was looking at it mainly because I am a shortkey user. The entire left side of my keyboard is scrambled with shortkey aliases for my use. I have implemented almost everything that I know of for my use, but I still want more without having to type this and that out on the keyboard. I am not a button fan, so keyboard entry is my real need. I saw this item and noticed how it was geared for keyboarders by implementing menu controls as well as normal lisp calls and command functions, all in one small area. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any luck with it. They are offering a 45 day trial, so I may take them up on that just to see how it works.

Bob Garner

LaunchPad
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
Yeah, I think the Launch Pad is a bit pricey.  The Nossy's go for less than thirty bucks.  I highly recommend them.

Bob G.

daron

LaunchPad
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 01:17:47 PM »
Less than 30?? :yikes: ?? I think I need to look into that.

t-bear

LaunchPad
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 05:02:48 PM »
Mine was 23.95 with a 5.00 rebate.......AND it kicks butt!
They'll have to gold plate that other thing and send some super model to teach "me how it's done" before I put out THAT kind-a bread!  WOW!

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
LaunchPad
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 08:00:31 PM »
I didn't get the rebate on my Nostromo n52, I waited too long but $28.95, what's to complain about.
I've seen them at stores for $50.00, so I know I still got a deal.
www.buy.com is where I got mine and I think t-bear got his.

t-bear

LaunchPad
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »
Yep....good site.   ....AND a great CAD tool!

daron

LaunchPad
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 08:58:13 AM »
Here is the direct link to it. 25.00.