Author Topic: New to Multiple Viewport - Display Question  (Read 6079 times)

craigr

New to Multiple Viewport - Display Question
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
I have been using Viewports for quite a few years, but now want to add 2 extra Viewports to the same dwg. So, I have run into an issue that hopefully has a simple solution.

I put all of my 'labels' on one layer that I call Dims. These always are in a QLeader with a box around it and the Arrow pointing at the device. But, now that I am adding 2 extra Viewports, these 2 extra Viewports will have different 'zoom' scales, which throws off the scale of my text - which I have set to automatically scale to the Viewport.

What I would like to happen is for the Dims in Viewport1 to only appear in Viewport1 and NOT in the other 2 Viewports. Viewports 1 & 2 are simply zoomed in areas of the overall building which is shown in Viewport3.

I'm guessing that I could simply make layers 'Dims1', 'Dims2' & 'Dims3' then have them only show up in the appropriate Viewports, but is there another or more appropriate way of doing this?

I hope I have explained this so that you understand what I am after.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: New to Multiple Viewport - Display Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
Not sure if LT supports this, but you can control layers per viewport when you are in floating modelspace. make sure VISRETAIN is set to 1 or you will lose the settings upon reopen.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Bethrine

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
I put all my dim's on paper space, outside of the viewport.

craigr

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
Yes, I have heard some people do this, but for our Purposes, we ALWAYS do them within the Viewport.

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
I don't know too much about it, but I would look into the annotative scale function.

craigr

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
Though I don't care to do it this way, (it seems sloppy), I ended up creating a different layer for Dims for each Viewport.

It did work, but as I mentioned earlier, it just seems 'sloppy'.

Thanks for the Replies,

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
Here's a simple example of what I was talking about ... IMO much simpler.

*Go to floating model space and pull up your layers palette. You will see the VP freeze column.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:52:58 AM by ronjonp »

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
Here's a simple example of what I was talking about ... IMO much simpler.

Well, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!

But, I don't get how you did it. - Yet.

LT DOES use the VISRETAIN variable and mine IS set to '1'.

Thanks for the Example, at least I now know that it CAN be done.

Now to explore.

Thanks!

craigr

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Okay, I see how it is done now.

Thanks again for the help.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
 ;D

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
Annotative scaling is the way I would go.
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »

That is the way to go if he wanted to see them in all view ports.

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »
Honestly, the Freeze in Viewport thing worked fine.

Thanks for all of the Responses.

This place and you folks ROCK!

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »

That is the way to go if he wanted to see them in all view ports.

:?  Uhmmm, no?  You can create multiple scales, named Fred, Wilma, and Barney, all set for 1:30.  You have 3 viewports each assigned a single annotation scale.  Annotative objects (like dimensions) in model space are then assigned one or more annotation scales based on which viewport they should be visible in.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
Having not had to deal with annotative scales much I'd have to defer to your experience. Would you mind posting a drawing with an example ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:29:28 AM by ronjonp »

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
You Folks are sooooo far over my head!!

If I ever get remotely close to getting caught up, I really need to explore & learn 'Annotative'.

I watched a video on it on YouTube and it really looks neat. I just don't have the time to learn it well enough to use it regularly.

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Having not had to deal with annotative scales much I'd have to defer to your experience. Would you mind posting a drawing with an example ?

Set up as per my earlier example.  In the layout are four viewports, each with a specific annotation scale assigned to them.  Only objects which have that annotation scale assigned will be shown in that viewport.  The fourth viewport is assigned the 1:30 scale, which I've added to all the annotative objects.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
Another option of freezing a layer per viewport, you can simply activate the viewport and use the _layfrz command or tool.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
Am I missing something also but isn't that what annotative objects are for?

The problem I see most people have is ANNOAUTOSCALE & ANNOALLVISIBLE settings cause them confusion until they understand it.

Different  annotative scales will show at same size if you just attach one scale will not show not show up in any other scale.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »
My understanding is that annotative scaling was added so that objects can print the same size regardless of scale. It is a major improvement on the (pardon my french) old school way of doing it with multiple objects on multiple layers. If there is a change to something that needs to be seen at multiple scales, only one edit is needed. The user also has the added advantage of being able to assign a specific list of scales to an object gaining the ability to limit which scales an object prints at.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
Automatically adding all scales to all objects certainly causes confusion, in that it creates the impression that all annotative objects will *always* be seen at all scales.  Even worse if you stick to the OOTB list of scales.

ANNOALLVISIBLE can actually be helpful during the learning process, since it won't actually hide objects they aren't "out of sight, out of my mind".

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »

Set up as per my earlier example.  In the layout are four viewports, each with a specific annotation scale assigned to them.  Only objects which have that annotation scale assigned will be shown in that viewport.  The fourth viewport is assigned the 1:30 scale, which I've added to all the annotative objects.

Thanks for the example. That is a cool way to control what's visible.  8)

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
My understanding is that annotative scaling was added so that objects can print the same size regardless of scale. It is a major improvement on the (pardon my french) old school way of doing it with multiple objects on multiple layers. If there is a change to something that needs to be seen at multiple scales, only one edit is needed. The user also has the added advantage of being able to assign a specific list of scales to an object gaining the ability to limit which scales an object prints at.

This is all so far over my head, but I am VERY Surprised that I am following what you folks are talking about! - I sounds VERY Cool, but I still don't know how to do it, YET.

I am anxious to learn it, but as I said above, I am VERY far behind in work, so I don't have the time to play with it and to learn it. From what I do understand of what you are describing, I just don't see that we would use it that often. MAYBE, once or twice a year. So, I probably wouldn't remember it well enough to be productive with it anyway.

That being said, it sounds like something that would be a blast to play with.

This has definitely been one of the more interesting topics I have read lately. THANKS

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »
We don't use it much either.  Most of our work is either 3D and annotated in paper space, or 2D schematic and not needing annotation scales.  We used to get a lot of maps for pipeline work, and they were making full use of annotative objects.  Most of the 2D mapping work has been offloaded to geomatics-type programs which are now better suited to the work.

There is one area where I kinda-sorta use it.  In our models the linetypes can be too small to clearly see, so I usually put in a 1:30 scale in and make that current.  Makes pipe and steel center lines clearly visible without dorking around with the LTSCALE values.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Actually, I don't have a need to use it very often but I use it all the time nonetheless for those times when I do need it's functionality.
CAD Tech

Bethrine

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »
Maybe I should really put more effort into learning it seeing as I work on mechanical parts drawings....?  :evil: :ugly:

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
It can be a bit daunting at first as there are a few variables to learn but once you "get it", you're in like flint and probably wonder how you lived without it.
CAD Tech