Author Topic: Begin command without pressing ENTER or SPACE BAR  (Read 7763 times)

Begin command without pressing ENTER or SPACE BAR
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »
Some of the power-users 'round here have been thinking about ways to speed things up and one idea was to automatically start a command WITHOUT having to press ENTER or the SPACE BAR.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm thinking reactors, but I suck with reactors.  Also, the command would be a LSP proggy and the user would be able to customize which key to press using the ACAD.PGP file.

For example: To start the LINE command, you press L then ENTER.  What if you only had to press L and AutoCAD would automatically fire up the line command?

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Re: Begin command without pressing ENTER or SPACE BAR
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
What if you only had to press L and AutoCAD would automatically fire up the line command?

Man that would take some getting used to!! :ugly:

The left side of my spacebar is polished from the thumb taps.

That does sound like a good idea, but like you I know absolutley nil about reactors.

I'll be watching..............
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
What if you only had to press L and AutoCAD would automatically fire up the line command?

Man that would take some getting used to!! :ugly:

The left side of my spacebar is polished from the thumb taps.

That does sound like a good idea, but like you I know absolutley nil about reactors.

I'll be watching..............

It does take some getting used to.  Visual Lighting and Revit are like that - a few keystrokes and *poof* you're magically whisked away into a command!!

hardwired

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
The trouble i see with that is what if the user types PL for polyline?

Either it will initiate the PAN command and get stuck there or when the user presses the L of PL it initiates the LINE command. I'm thinking that it why we have to press ENTER, as some commands are more than one letter..

Of course, if they can set-up their own shortcuts in the PGP file, then thats cool, but that would be seriously faffy..

I get what you mean, and i don't know much about reactors either so i guess i can be done, but i thought i'd say my peice, lol

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
I was going to make the same point as Hardwired.

Does it really take that long to get to the spacebar or Enter key?  How big is their keyboard?  :lol:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »
For example: To start the LINE command, you press L then ENTER. 

Softplan is this way.  All keyboard shortcuts are fully customizable as well.  Fer instance on mine.... "e" is erase, ctrl "e" is block erase, shift "e" is block cut, etc. etc.

But then Softplan doesn't have a command line interface at all so .....

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »
Block Cut... that rings a bell... a school bell.  I haven't used Softplan since I was in high scool.  Kinda wish I had it at home nowadays.  :)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »
How big is their keyboard?  :lol:

I don't think you're allowed to ask that  :lmao:
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

FengK

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 01:08:05 PM »
Some of the power-users 'round here have been thinking about ways to speed things up and one idea was to automatically start a command WITHOUT having to press ENTER or the SPACE BAR.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm thinking reactors, but I suck with reactors.  Also, the command would be a LSP proggy and the user would be able to customize which key to press using the ACAD.PGP file.

I'm guessing command reactor won't work because the event is triggered probably only when SPACE or ENTER is pressed. It is going to be tough, and I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »
From a quick check of the reactors I don't see one.  I don't see how you would do it with the reactors provided, but I could be wrong.  I don't like the idea either, but could be fun to see how to get it to work.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »
What about using mouse gestures?

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 01:19:20 PM »
What about using mouse gestures?

:?

quamper

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
I don't know about single keystroke entry without space or enter.. but you could do something where you bound your lisp routine to an unused key on the keyboard that then it would accept various other keys...

so something like one of the following?

Shift+M & L
F1 + L

so it wouldn't technically require space or enter

personally I prefer the typing the command and right-click being as I'm a lefty

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
I don't know about single keystroke entry without space or enter.. but you could do something where you bound your lisp routine to an unused key on the keyboard that then it would accept various other keys...

so something like one of the following?

Shift+M & L
F1 + L

so it wouldn't technically require space or enter

personally I prefer the typing the command and right-click being as I'm a lefty

Are you referring to the PGP file?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:25 PM »
Is there any way to customise the right click? Instead of having a list of recent commands, to have a list of favorite commands instead... would that be doable?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

M-dub

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Another link for gestures...

Is there any way to customise the right click? Instead of having a list of recent commands, to have a list of favorite commands instead... would that be doable?

Sure it would!

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:59 PM »

That is a possibiliy
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

quamper

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »
In the CUI you can bind/rebind shortcut keys under keyboard shortcuts. It only works for the Function keys + modified keys (like shift+letter) etc..
Thats how you can change F1 to escape instead of launching help for instance.

quamper

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »

Yeah my right click is heavily customized with just the stuff I use all the time plus lots of custom commands. In the CUI thats under Shortcut Menus "Default Menu" for the standard no command active right-click..

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »

"That's too many clicks" is the response that I got.  Basically what they want to do is 1) click on an object 2) press a key and have AutoCAD know what type of object it is, what layer it is on, and then begin that object's specific command.  Kinda like Architecture's and MEP's ADD SELECTED command.

I've already written my own ADD SELECTED command and made it available via selecting an object and right-clicking, but "that's too many clicks".  I'm thinking for this situation, I can autoload the add selected program, then they can map whateve key(s) they want using the PGP file.  So what if they have to press ENTER.  Seriously, how long does that really take?  If we add up however many times they do this, multiplied by the number of days they do this, we're probably only talking about a matter of a few minutes total all year that could be saved.

Pressing the SPACE BAR to activate a command is like second-nature to me.  Moving the mouse to a toolbar/palette and finding the button I want to click is more time consuming than having to press the space bar - but that's just me.

M-dub

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
The amount of time they'd save over the course of a day would be lost the first time they sneeze.

daron

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
Not removing enter but (grread) has always been a good function for not having to select enter. This is nothing special but it shows possibilities within a procedure
Code: [Select]
(defun c:noenter (/ key)
   (setq key (grread nil))
   (cond
      ((vl-position (cadr key) '(76 108));L
       (command "_.line")
       )
      ((vl-position (cadr key) '(80 112));P
       (command "_.pline")
      )
   (princ)
   )

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:04 PM »
... Basically what they want to do is 1) click on an object 2) press a key and have AutoCAD know what type of object it is, what layer it is on, and then begin that object's specific command.  Kinda like Architecture's and MEP's ADD SELECTED command.

This code could be modified to do what you want.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »
In the CUI you can bind/rebind shortcut keys under keyboard shortcuts. It only works for the Function keys + modified keys (like shift+letter) etc..
Thats how you can change F1 to escape instead of launching help for instance.

you can also set it to be whatever you want. i'm still a fan of the extended change properties from r14 express tools, i modified it a little to work properly in newer versions and i have it set to run with F1.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

in addition to the right click, you can easily modify the ctrl or shift + right click (default is the osnap popup) and add all kinds of stuff there tool.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
Code: [Select]
( (lambda ( / )
    ;; I think your nuts for wanting this...
    (setq input (grread))
    (if (eq (cadr input) 108)
           (alert "I know you pressed the `L' key"))) )
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

qwrtz

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
VectorWorks and SketchUp both work that way. You just press a key to select a tool, and any clicks after that are used by that tool, to draw lines, or offset them, or whatever, until you pick a new tool by pressing another key. It's great once you get used to it (for the first couple of weeks you keep hitting the space bar anyway). I don't know if it saves time, but it's a more relaxed feel, kind of a luxury feel. But you're limited to the number of keys you have. You can't use two-letter aliases.

It could be done in AutoCad by using a macro utility like Keyboard Express. You would tell KE that you want the L key to mean LINE<enter> in AutoCad. But then whatever keys you assigned that way would always send those characters to AutoCad, so you wouldn't be able to use them to type text. You'd have to do something strange like type text in Notepad and paste it in. Or you could buy an add-on keypad with a whole bunch of function keys and have each one send a command and an Enter code. But then you have excess baggage.

There's another feature of SketchUp and VectorWorks that also contributes to that un-frantic feel, and which is easy to implement with Lisp:  they don't de-select after a command, so you avoid all those P's and L's. Any command that creates a new entity leaves it selected, and any command that edits entities leaves whatever was selected still selected. And in combination with that, they're set up to normally de-select all when you select something new, unless you hold down the shift key to add to the selection set. But those programs work on surfaces and groups and other containers, so it's easy to select whatever you want with a single window or crossing.

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
I just had a funny thought.

You know how noisy computers are on tv, with all of their "beeps" and "bloops" and other digital 'sounds'?  Every time someone's doing ANYTHING on a computer, you can hear a beep every time they touch the screen or press a key.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch CSI sometime...)

... never mind... don't know where that came from...

CADaver

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »
L would be fine for line, but what would you do with LO or "layers off".  You'd need a delay of some kind to get to the "O", wouldn't you?  So there goes the time savings.

hendie

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 03:33:05 AM »

I had to work with a program that did that. A piece of crap called RADAN
I had to use ot for 2 years and it was the worst piece of software ever written, up there with Lotus Notes, Siebel & JDE
L for line, P for Point, E for endpoint etc etc
You could use the mouse for input or you could use the keyboard for input, but you couldn't switch between the two in mid command. It was either or, nothing else.

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »
I just had a funny thought.

You know how noisy computers are on tv, with all of their "beeps" and "bloops" and other digital 'sounds'?  Every time someone's doing ANYTHING on a computer, you can hear a beep every time they touch the screen or press a key.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch CSI sometime...)

... never mind... don't know where that came from...

I used to have a program that had a "typewriter.wav" associated with the keystrokes.  Everytime you pressed a key you'd hear *click*.  I think I might write a VBA app for AutoCAD to do that.

*click*  *click*    *click*           *click**click**click**click*     *click**click*                   *click*        *click*                 *click*          *click*                            *click**click**click**click*      *click* *click* *click*        *click* *click* *click*

:-D

hermanm

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »
1. You can intercept the keyboard using (grread). (I wrote an AutoLISP RPN calculator that does that)
but it introduces challenges related to running OSNAPs, among others.

2. You can build or buy a program which intercepts the keyboard using other technology:

Example: http://www.command-digital.com/autohook.htm

3. You can buy an auxiliary programmable keypad device:

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys.php

4. You can use a pointing device with multiple programmable buttons:

http://www.gtcocalcomp.com/tablets.htm

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
I'm thinking they can suck it up and press the flippin' ENTER key!!  Lazy freakin' people!!

M-dub

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
Well, what is their thumb busy doing?  While their fingers are busy typing in the command, their thumb should be able to hit the spacebar pretty handily.

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
Well, what is their thumb busy doing?

Don't ask, don't tell.   :-)