Author Topic: Tracking changes/ Change log?  (Read 4904 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Tracking changes/ Change log?
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »
More and more often we are working on jobs where the client, or an engineer changes things after a drawing has been issued. One job here in particular has so many changes that virtually nothing is the same as the original design.

How do you guys track such design changes to model files?

I had thought about creating a table to be inserted into each model / xref file showing details of a file change history. Would this be an efficient way forward?  Or are there any better ideas/methods out there?

Many thanks for your input/advice
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Tracking changes/ Change log?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
Are these the "final" documents that have been issued? If so, all revisions to the design should be clouded and referenced in the title block referring to the revision documentation be it an addendum, bulletin, RFI, etc.

Before the final documents, we don't normally track changes. It happens on just about every project and we hardly ever go back to a previous version.

Some engineers/designers, keep a running set with all versions/submissions. When a drawing changes it is added to the set and the previous version is marked void.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
These are often client driven changes. Additions/changes to the original signed contract. I thought that maybe tracking the changes on the acad model will be beneficial if we logged the change request number in the drawing file too. Also I thought it would give me an idea of who had been in the drawing, making changes :)

I was just wondering if anyone else did this, and if it were successful

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »
As a rule, I run an archive from SSM for each submittal, whether it's agency approvals, client review, bid set, or during construction.  Each sheet that goes out has an "ISSUED" and "ISSUE DATE" filed that's linked to a sheetset custom property.

That helps with the paper trail, and understanding which version someone has in their hands.

As far as keeping tabular records in the model, I don't think that would work in the long run - it's one more step and an extra item in the workflow that would be ignored in a crunch.  It would make more sense IMHO to keep that kind of record in a separate document or spreadsheet rather than cluttering a dwg model file with text entitites that have nothing to do with the design information, but are more of a log of changes.  It's still an extra step that would be liley to get dropped.

IIRC Softdesk had an option to store the username and handle of the last entity in their ZZ_ADCADD block and would update it on close, so there was a minimal record of the drawing files history.  I would think that scheme could be updated farly easily to use a dictionary instead of a block attribute.

Realistically, high-level detailed record keeping/version tracking would be addressed by an EDMS - pricey, but if it's a big enough issue it might be worth investigating.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
When we get substantial changes, there's sufficient paperwork involved (scope change, safety/workability assesments, schedule impact assesment, etc.) that there's no need for any extra tracking.

I'd be tempted to do the fancy thing and add Hyperlinks to the change requests to a Navisworks file...
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Birdy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »
These are often client driven changes. Additions/changes to the original signed contract. I thought that maybe tracking the changes on the acad model will be beneficial if we logged the change request number in the drawing file too. Also I thought it would give me an idea of who had been in the drawing, making changes :)

I was just wondering if anyone else did this, and if it were successful
Vault works pretty well for us.  Drawing submittals and revision history track these changes along with other paperwork (not in the cad file).  Vault can tell you who was in the file and when, but not necessarily what they changed.  For that we depend on revclouds and revision notes in the titleblock telling what was changed, by who, when, and what drove the change (e.g., "per COR#15").

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
Hmm thanks for everyones input.  I'll take a look at the vault to see if theres any chance of us using that.
I need to sort something out as there seems to be too many people changing things on one file, and not updating other drawings that share the same "change" then weeks down the line when the next change comes in, we no longer know which is the correct version IF the person who did the changes is off/moved to a different job/office.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Process engineers changing a line size on a P&I diagram and don't follow it through to the other sheets.  Now there's a question of whether that stainless steel pipe is 6" or 8"...  been there, done that.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
... people changing things on one file, and not updating other drawings that share the same "change" ....
Revit will take care of that, because there is only one spot to change it.   :angel:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »
Finally got back to finishing up a project as favor for a Cad teacher to help him grade and know who created what objects, last edited, what was edited, but could be easily changed to suit needs for example he would know if someone copied objects from drawing to another, but would know who originally created them, but sounds like you only care who added them. He will use it for catching anyone cheating, but could be toned just for who edited.

Let me know what year everyone is using and worst case scenario on file size an number of objects in drawings and load you up something.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
Jeff, something like that would be fantastic. It would also have a side effect that I will know who is regularly making mistakes, and be able to offer training in those areas.
I have a stressful day today, so its probably going to be tomorrow when I get back to you.
Thanks for this very generous offer!

Nardino

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
I bought my own portable hard drive and i back up all my work once a week. I keep them for a while untill the project is no longer mentioned in the office.

Bob Garner

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
We use the office discipline route.  Only the project manager can authorize any drawing changes and all must go through the manager.  If our project manager can’t handle this “extra” work, then the manager must officially delegate a sub project manager, all subject to upper management approval, to handle this.  There can be only one set of “final” drawings or else a sub job is set up with a special drawing numbering system.

It takes a lot of office discipline to make this work so you have to have some kick a$$ project managers, but hey, that’s their job around here.

G’luck.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:00 AM »
I'd LOVE to work for your company Bob.
Here its sometimes the project managers and senior engineers who make the changes after the CAD staff have gone home, and well... "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

I just want to track the changes so I can evaluate who is needing training on what!  I dread to think whats going to happen when we move more down the revit route!

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:36 AM »
Be afraid, very afraid. I see bad CAD all the time. Now that those people are using Revit it makes it even worse.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:25 AM »
Oh thanks Robdraw! I think I need a new profession lol.

Part of me had hoped that Revit would stop the bad practices, but part of me knew that things could and likely would end up worse.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:37 AM »
I was of the same frame of mind when we were starting Revit. It's all the same bad stuff with new things they can mess up.
CAD Tech

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
LOL. I wonder if I could get away with printing that and hanging it on my wall :)

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »
^^Doing it right now!
CAD Tech