Author Topic: Locking a Block  (Read 4646 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Locking a Block
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
YES  once a block is made; using the BLOCK command that block should be INSERTED always, and NEVER copied.
the copy and paste as block function should always be avoided...and yes copying that pasted as block STILL bloats the file and creates yet more unnamed blocks...both BAD cad habits to engage in.
As I am oft reminded; Just because you can, never means one should do anything.
Yes one can copy, and paste as block...however it creates unnamed blocks which autocad really doesn't like much at all.
Okay you still have not sold me on why I should not copy a block from one file and paste into other file.  I need the nitty and gritty details on how and why it bloats the file. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

craigr

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
To carry this further....

I have all of these 'Anonymous' blocks within the dwg. Is there an easy way to rename them?

I did a search on this forum about it and seen where someone mentioned creating a routine to do it, so I am guessing it isn't easy.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
You could use the RENAME command.  If you insert them to begin with instead of copy/pasting, you will no longer have that problem though.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

< .. >
Yes one can copy, and paste as block...however it creates unnamed blocks which autocad really doesn't like much at all.
AutoCAD doesn't care if you use anonymous blocks, just grumpy old CAD people do

And anyone trying to extract from attributes from named blocks ....  :|
And anyone attempting to do a block count of named blocks.

Copy is not an issue.
Paste as block can be.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

danallen

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »
I think we are confusing unnamed blocks (*D1411)  vs anonymous blocks (A$C67ED2DB0) . I've only experienced unnamed blocks when getting DWG files imported from other programs and are nasty as they can't be renamed only exploded except with programs. (except the ones AutoCAD creates with dimensions but they have never gotten in my way). Anonymous blocks behave just like named blocks, except the names are meaningless. AutoCAD even treats anonymous blocks the same as "defined" or "user" when listed using -block > ? command.

And anyone trying to extract from attributes from named blocks ....  :|
And anyone attempting to do a block count of named blocks.

Copy is not an issue.
Paste as block can be.