Author Topic: 3D HELP please  (Read 5605 times)

notredave

• Newt
3D HELP please
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »
All,
I'm having to do alot of isometrics lately of Instrument and Electrical installations details. I have attached a simple 3D bolt drawing. I downloaded it from a website. I quit trying to download 2D drawings because people say I cant turn that into the different angles, iso views. My question is....Can someone help me or give me steps, or where to read about steps to go about using a 3D object and rotating it to either 30, 90, 150, 210 or 330 degree angles that 2D isometrics uses. I would like to learn how to rotate the bolt to all of those angles, I will be using just one of those angles of course for my drawing but would like to know how to do it for all of the angles I mentioned so if I need something in the future at another angle, I will know how to do it. Let me know if this is to time consuming or if it's something fairly easy. I do know to flatten it before I bring it in my 2D drawing. It's all the steps before getting to flatten is what I need help with. I have 2015 Autocad. I know to put my workspace to 3D modeling when I'm in 3D. if someone feels like doing a good deed for someone, this is it, lol. I've been doing autocad from 1990 but never have gotten in 3D. But I feel like 3D is the way to go for objects that I can turn into 2D easily. Please take a look at this bolt, I left it in the top view so I wouldn't mess anything up. Thanks a bunch for reading this and possibility for helping me out.
Thank you,
David

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: 3D HELP please
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »
The video is blocked here.

I suppose you could do it the way you describe. I would take a different approach, if it will work for you. I'd draw in 3D the way it would be built and then use isometric views for the sheet(s).
CAD Tech

notredave

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
Rob....
That's my problem. I can't draw in 3D....yet. I don't have autocad at home and I am doing little things with 3D during my lunch hour, here at work. I download 3D cad blocks from manufacturer's websites, like bolts, unistrut, steel, junction boxes, instruments, etc...I just need the steps to converting those blocks into a 2D isometric and at the orientation I need them for my detail. All of my iso's are not facing northeast, at 30 degrees. I just need some guidance. Thank you for answering me!
David

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »
Your time would be better spent learning the 3D. The payoff will be much better.

To do what you are suggesting, you would need to set-up all of the isometric views for all of the parts. Then do something like FLATSHOT (I'm not sure if that is the best way but using it as an example.) for each of those views. Then make a block for each view or make a dynamic block of each part using visibility parameters.

That's a lot of of front end work for little return. Learning 3D would give you more valuable skills than drawing isometrics smartly. Talk to your immediate supervisor and see if they will allow you time to learn 3D. There is always the option of borrowing a license from your workplace, so that you can practice at home or a trial version will get you 30 days to learn at home.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
To start with, don't rotate anything.  Draw/model it as it is in the real world (or a nominal orientation).  Then use paper space viewports to set the different viewing directions.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:42 AM »
Revolve

Extrude

Shell

(EDIT to add)  Union and Helix - you will need this to show the bolt threads...and to join (union) the bolt head to the bolt body....
Draw circle - extrude...Draw Hex - Extrude...Union them together....you have a bolt...
Draw circle - extrude...Draw Hex - Extrude..Subtract one from the other....you have a nut...

These basic 3d commands will get you very far....they are your friends  use them to model your parts.

Treat each component as a block it is easier to assemble the final model, this is also the approach Inventor uses. i.e. make each part, then aggregate them into an assembly.

Really you will be done way faster than trying to manually produce Isometric views of each part.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:37:44 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

notredave

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »
mjfarrell,
You make it sound so easy, lol...but, at the moment, I don't know much about 3D. i am working on that during lunch hour. My question is how do I make a 3D cad block that I have downloaded into an isometric? Do I rotate the 3D block 30 degrees for instance, then flatten it and ctrl copy to my 2D drawing, then trim and edit it? How do I do something like that?

notredave

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
like for instance of attached bolt drawing....

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:26:43 AM »
Maybe you missed this in my first post.

To do what you are suggesting, you would need to set-up all of the isometric views for all of the parts. Then do something like FLATSHOT (I'm not sure if that is the best way but using it as an example.) for each of those views. Then make a block for each view or make a dynamic block of each part using visibility parameters.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
see attached
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

notredave

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
mjfarrell, that is exactly what I would like to learn to do!! How did you do that? Thank you very much!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
mjfarrell, that is exactly what I would like to learn to do!! How did you do that? Thank you very much!

use or create 3d model

set up viewport

set it to NW,SE,SW,NE ISO or to user defined view orientation
then set to Hidden View, or shaded as desired...

done and done...

the other model view was done using a SECTIONPLANE

then selecting the plane a right-click gives option to create 2d/3d section of the model along that plane.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »
Have a look at http://www.tracepartsonline.net/.

There are a lot of 3D drawings available for download.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

notredave

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »
Hey Willie, thank you. That is where i get alot of my 3D parts from. I'm just having a time in 3D to get it to look right on my 2D isometrics. I have had several, inspiring responses. I just need to learn the 3D language that some of the guys have responded to me with, lol...
Thanks again,
David

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
Sorry notredave, we often assume a certain amount of knowledge. Maybe if you could break it down and be more specific in your questions you will get more direct answers.

So, you have 3D models of some parts and you need to make an number of isometric views of them to use as blocks in your isometric drawings.

There are several ways to get the views that you need. Have you figured that part out yet?
CAD Tech

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Honestly, this sounds decently basic. My suggestion is to hire some young college kid or intern and have them work on this and help train. That or research various online/in-class courses on this subject.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Yeah, also, I hear that The Swamp is a great resource for more direct help.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Honestly, this sounds decently basic. My suggestion is to hire some young college kid or intern and have them work on this and help train. That or research various online/in-class courses on this subject.
On occasion I have done 3d Modeling classes in addition to Revit Structural, Autodesk Steel Detailing, MAP, and Civil 3d.

OF all the classes, the 3D modeling ones have proved to be the most fun both for the students and myself.
Mostly because the class and the students can branch into many direction after the initial 'basics' are covered and grasped.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
Yeah, also, I hear that The Swamp is a great resource for more direct help.

This is true, and it works fairly well.  And better yet when the person seeking help, posts their efforts, and seeks advice to refine their results.

I think a decent example was the person seeking help with something called a tomato basket....that branched a little into other forms and methods.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »

It also comes down to the level of detail required, as shown this is a pretty, but useless model.

NOT SURE

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
    You can pull 2D geometry from 3D solids using SOLPROF (Soild Profile) too.

• Create a viewport in Paperspace in the drawing with the 3D solids you'd like to pull the 2D geometry from.
    • Set the view you require (Type VIEW and select one of the views from the 'Orthographic & Isometric Views').
    • Set that viewport to 1:1 scale.
    • Double click inside the viewport to make it active.
    • Type SOLPROF, and select the objects you'd like to pull the 2D geometry from, then follow the prompts.
    • Type CHSPACE and select the 2D elements to pull the geometry into PaperSpace.

That should get you started.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:21:28 PM by DeeGeeCees »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »

It also comes down to the level of detail required, as shown this is a pretty, but useless model.

It all comes down to "what level of detail and or accuracy is required?"

If it is like a General Arrangement drawing then general shape and size are all that is required, yet they do need to be dimensionally correct.

If it is a final assembly, and or details used to actually manufacture and or fabricate parts/components, then the level of accuracy needs to go up accordingly.

Yeah, that is a nice bolt, however probably too high a level of detail unless for manufacturing purposes.
It is also probably too detailed even for an assembly diagram.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Kyle Reese

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »
notredave:

Since you are using AutoCAD 2015 you have the following methods for extracting 2D views from 3D models.

1. Flatshot
2. SolProf
3. SolView/SolDraw
4. SectionPlane
5. ViewBase

The option you choose is somewhat dependent on where you want these 2D views to end up (model space or layout).

The easiest option for a student or a newbie in my opinion would be to use the ViewBase (sometimes referred to as BaseView) command where the 2D views will be created automatically in your layout.  Should your 3D model have to undergo some changes the 2D views can be easily updated.

My advice is simple.  Read up on each option and do a test drawing using the exact same 3D model then compare such things as how long it takes to create all the necessary views and how easy or difficult it is to recreate views if the model undergoes some changes.  I think you'll come to a decision as which method works best for your circumstances in quick order.