Author Topic: Menu Sharing Re-Re-Re-Visited  (Read 3338 times)

ML

Menu Sharing Re-Re-Re-Visited
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:06:21 AM »
OK,

I know we go over this topic a lot but it is a good thing to keep alive.
We are about to share our company menu over a network and I am a bit concerned.

I have the mns (NO MENU) file on a shared directory.

I think the best approach is to have everyone menuload the .mnc file, then when I update the mns file, re compile it, it should update everyone else.

My concern is that other people may accidentally alter the .mns file. Also the idea of multiple people loading the .mns file (if they do) also jind of bothers me.

I am just looking for different approaches

Thanks

Mark

ML

Correction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »
I have no .mnu file in the shared directory

daron

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 11:56:12 AM »
The mnc should work fine, but I would set everything in a menu pull-down and let the users create their own toolbars.

CADaver

Re: Menu Sharing Re-Re-Re-Visited
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:55:18 PM »
Quote from: ML
I have the mns (NO MENU) file on a shared directory.

I think the best approach is to have everyone menuload the .mnc file, then when I update the mns file, re compile it, it should update everyone else.

My concern is that other people may accidentally alter the .mns file. Also the idea of multiple people loading the .mns file (if they do) also jind of bothers me.

We, too have the menus in a shared directory, but that particular dirextory has limited "Write-Rights", limited to the Cad management team only.  Other users can not edit those files, they can read 'em and load 'em, but that's it.  

We, then, set up each user with his own personal menu on his local drive that he may diddle with 'til blind (as long as it doesn't interfere with production).  There are some hard, fast, rules about personal customization, for which compliance is mandatory.

ML

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:48:33 PM »
Well, I am getting more at which files will you have in the shared directory and why?

I have the .mns, .mnc + .mnr

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
Well, I am getting more at which files will you have in the shared directory and why?

I have the .mns, .mnc + .mnr
I don't keep the mns in the shared directory, just the MNC, MNR and the MNL, if any.

I also keep the base PGP, LIN, PAT and any of the client specific or discipline specific functions in the shared dir.

ML

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 04:22:36 PM »
That is what
I am thinking BUT once the .mnc file is menuloaded, it re creates the .mns anyhow

So, how do you address that?

ML

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 04:27:15 PM »
Also, I was wondering how the path at the top of the menu affects you if you load that menu on another machine where that path does not exist?

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:29:13 PM »
Also, I was wondering how the path at the top of the menu affects you if you load that menu on another machine where that path does not exist?

Are you talking about this path?
//
//      AutoCAD menu file - Z:\menusupport\CustomToolbars-Dom.mnu
//

ML

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »
Yes

ML

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 04:59:54 PM »
Hey CADaver, I was thinking about writing a VBA module that will allow the user to add to a pulldown menu as you can with a toolbar, isn't that a cool idea?

So, you could use that to take your users personal Pulldown to a new level.

CADaver

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 09:02:15 PM »
That is what
I am thinking BUT once the .mnc file is menuloaded, it re creates the .mns anyhow

So, how do you address that?
If you use menuload and load it, it does. But if you menuload everything you need, and then save that profile, when executing a desktop icon calling that shortcut, it doesn't create the MNS.  At least it doesn't here.

Remember that we have the directory read-only for everybody but me, so even if we kept the MNS in that directory, no one could diddle with it but me.

ML

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 10:42:01 AM »
It seems to me that all users should have the.mnc file loaded
You, as the person develpong the menu should be the only ones that updates and menuloads the .mns file.

Now, I think what you are saying is do a menuload, set the current profile as current, then it won't recompile the .mns file?

Mark

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 11:01:09 AM »
It seems to me that all users should have the.mnc file loaded
You, as the person develpong the menu should be the only ones that updates and menuloads the .mns file.

Now, I think what you are saying is do a menuload, set the current profile as current, then it won't recompile the .mns file?

Mark
Yeah, sorta.

The menus are compiled from my station, then the the profiles created and exported.

When a user imports the profile and sets it current, the menus are loaded but not re-compiled, and a new MNS is not created.

ML

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 02:32:57 PM »
Yeah, it seems like too much

I could place the mns file somewhere else, load it to my machine, take the compiled mnc and save that to the shared directory.