Author Topic: ACAD/ADT2008 deployment problem--help  (Read 3088 times)

CottageCGirl

ACAD/ADT2008 deployment problem--help
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:51:48 PM »
I am setting up the deployment for our new 2008, and weather I point to ACAD.cui or ADT.cui or my custom.cui, I have the same problem....

everything is looking good, but I realize that I have no dashboard, so I type in dashboard on the command line and get a dashboard-ish box with only a note that says "learn about the dashboard"  and when I click it...I get the "new features" box....????????  tried the dashboard icon as well and got the same result....
by the way..I CAN turn on/off the Properties box and the Pallettes......

any thoughts.....

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: ACAD/ADT2008 deployment problem--help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
I am setting up the deployment for our new 2008, and weather I point to ACAD.cui or ADT.cui or my custom.cui, I have the same problem....

everything is looking good, but I realize that I have no dashboard, so I type in dashboard on the command line and get a dashboard-ish box with only a note that says "learn about the dashboard"  and when I click it...I get the "new features" box....????????  tried the dashboard icon as well and got the same result....
by the way..I CAN turn on/off the Properties box and the Pallettes......

any thoughts.....

better that what I got.....

guess I hit my head on the dashboard :lmao:

this could be the fix: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9626493&linkID=9240657
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:12:31 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CottageCGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
this could be the fix:

MIKE.....you DA MAN!!!!!!

apparently the right click at the top is not available if you have it on auto-hide.....I right clicked EVERYTHING...and nothing....then after reading your link...got so frustrated....took it off auto-hide and VOILA....a place to click at the top...now I can go back and check my workspace set ups....

I never seem to type the right words into help at autodesk and can NEVER find what I need....

Thanks!    sending some good Karma to ya!  :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
this could be the fix:

MIKE.....you DA MAN!!!!!!

I never seem to type the right words into help at autodesk and can NEVER find what I need....

Thanks!    sending some good Karma to ya!  :-)

I once published a document on how best to use the KB over at autodesk.
Here is the run down.
First Begin right in the little black search box at www.autodesk.com
enter as few words as you can, and omit the version or product name
when the search window returns your results Immediately toggle OFF the button for Products, Solutions, Services and Company Information because that isn't where the answers are.
Now some ask why leave out the product or version?
The answer lies in autodesk's own marketing as they proudly herald that this or that product contains this or that technology; leveraged from another product. And well to be honest if it was broken in the first release it remains broken 20 years later. And it affects or infects every product in the family tree; a little like dementia.
So do not confuse the search engine with too much information. And most importantly spell correctly as their lame search engine can't figure anything out if you happen to mosh a vowel or two.
The fewer responses you get to your search the more sure you can be that it applies to your issue, most of the time.
And last but not least, you wont find that perfect document, until you say you can't find it in TheSwamp!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CottageCGirl

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
OK....new question...I think I get it now..but want to make sure......

Main CUI is the out of the box (on C drive).....Enterprise CUI is my custom one (on the network)......

Regarding custom workspaces...
If a user manipulates his workspace and saves it....will it save to the main CUI or try (unsucfessfully) to save to the Enterprise CUI?

Can I have them save their custom workspace to the main CUI on their C-drive, then switch the main and enterprise in order to save their custom workspace to the network enterprise CUI, then change them back? My goal is to let everyone have access to everyone elses' workspaces as well as have a protected back up.

does this make sense?

KewlToyZ

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
Hello CCG,
I found that saving a few example Workspaces in the Enterprise CUI with the Dashboard and Tool Palette groups setup helped me maintain control of it. Just be weary of networked palettes. Any updates to the palettes needs the current profile removed or updated to a new name to get the latest version of the palettes since they are contained in the fixedprofile.aws & the registry as well. I used a networked Profile with a desktop Icon pointing to it so I could maintain some general controls. People can start with that, then add or remove toolbars and save the new copy of the Workspace to their local acad.cui.
I usually use the "%userprofile%\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\support\acad.cui" as the main cui.
The version of AutoCAD directory varies with each type whether a vertical or vanilla.
The Enterprise.cui I setup in one central network location so any changes I do are immediate with the exception of palettes.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:06:22 PM by KewlToyZ »

CottageCGirl

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
The Enterprise.cui I setup in one central network location so any changes I do are immediate with the exception of palettes.

would you reccomend putting the palettes on a partial CUI of their own?

KewlToyZ

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
Palettes do not exist in the cui, just the groups as place holders in the Workspace.  :lol:
I have 4 discipline specific sets I had to break up with palette groups.
The networked profile.arg file holds the majority of the data to force the local user profile windows registry and fixedprofile.aws to update. The crew here helped me come up with a lisp routine to reset the profile when things aren't right.
Then the user profile resets to intial start settings contained in the profile.arg.
Still needs a "delete" or "detect and delete if present" in the routine or it fails after being ran once.
I just manually check the workstation with VNC before I run the reset.
It does the job I need it to in this format though as often as I use it.

Code: [Select]
(defun c:reset()
(vlax-dump-object
    (setq profiles
        (vla-get-profiles
            (vla-get-preferences
                (vlax-get-acad-object)
            )
        )
    )
    t
)
;--------
(vla-resetprofile
     (vla-get-profiles
       (vla-get-preferences
         (vlax-get-acad-object)
       )
     )
     "KTA 2009 Networked"
  )
 (vla-renameprofile
      (vla-get-profiles
        (vla-get-preferences
          (vlax-get-acad-object)
        )
      )
      "KTA 2009 Networked"
      "Bad-Reset"
  )

I usually setup a few local directories on the users C:\ drive in a folder to hold all arx applications so they are not open over the network by multiple users all of the time as well as any personalizations such as an osnaps setting routine.
C:\Profile\Autosave
C:\Profile\Logs
C:\Profile\PDF
C:\Profile\DWF
C:\Profile\Support   (holds all arx and personal lsp files)
C:\Profile\Temp
C:\Profile\XREF Temp

On the network:
X:\CADD\Standards     (holds all files and folders for blocks & details separated and organized by folders inside)
X:\CADD\Page Setups    (Holds all page setup defaults for publishing)
X:\CADD\Palettes     (Holds all palettes & images, groups, as well as exported xtp & xtg files)
X:\CADD\Plotters     (all PC3, custom drivers, PMP files, etc...)
X:\CADD\Profiles     (has a copy of the desktop Icon pointing to the custom profile, & the custom Profile.arg)
X:\CADD\Support    (All shared custom lsp, dcl, etc..routines, Enterprise cui's .)
X:\CADD\Support\Buttons   (All bmp images for the buttons in the cui files)

The Dashboard and its panels does exist in the cui. You can edit all dashboard items there in the cui.

Unfortunately you will have to redo these if you upgrade to 2009.
The Dashboard was replaced by the ribbon (considerably more resource hungry to essentially do the same thing and less stable though)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:16:21 PM by KewlToyZ »

CottageCGirl

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
Palettes do not exist in the cui, just the groups as place holders in the Workspace.  :lol:

Dooooh....
I haven't done much w/ palettes so far ,,,so they are a bit of a mystery.....I was thinking you could edit them thru the CUI like a toolbar...
MY BAD sorry....

have to get back on a project, but will take a closer look at your notes soon...

Thanks a ton!

KewlToyZ

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »
Aye they are easy to make but a major pain to deploy.
Glad I can help, let me know ifyou have any more questions  :angel: