Author Topic: Custom subassemblies location  (Read 1579 times)

bdough15

Custom subassemblies location
« on: February 17, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
We have created a few custom subassemblies that work fine in C3D 2009 but the problem that we are having is that the assemblies want to be placed in a user specific file location (IE C:\Documents and Settings\bjd\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes\Imported Tools\DGRUrbanOutsideLane_45236CC2-2FD7-41b5-8545-20D8FB2B1719\DGRUrbanOutsideLane.dll) instead of in a "all users" setting (IE C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\C3DStockSubassemblies.dll)  Is there a way to make the custom assemblies use the "all users" instead of a user specific?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Custom subassemblies location
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »
why not locate your palettes on the server entirely?
and or add another path to your custom sub assembly palette in Options>Files>Tool Palettes
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

bdough15

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:36 PM »
and or add another path to your custom sub assembly palette in Options>Files>Tool Palettes

The problem that we experienced with our pallettes being referenced on the server is that once someone edited the palletes in their directory to not include the custom pallettes it would wipe out the custom pallettes for everyone.  I will try to add the second path again and reply with the reasoning for why we went away from that as well, I do not remember the problems that we had with that to make us go away from that.  The main go around that we found is that you repath your assemblies before working on them through Properties, it works but is a pretty crappy way of doing things.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:53:56 AM »

The problem that we experienced with our palettes being referenced on the server is that once someone edited the pallet es in their directory to not include the custom palettes it would wipe out the custom palettes for everyone.  I will try to add the second path again and reply with the reasoning for why we went away from that as well, I do not remember the problems that we had with that to make us go away from that.  The main go around that we found is that you re path your assemblies before working on them through Properties, it works but is a pretty crappy way of doing things.

Doc,

I don't think the 'solution' is the problem.
Given that you or someone else has endeavored to create the custom sub assemblies, and palettes, the other user(s) need to NOT edit those palettes given that they are or should be considered "The Company Standard". 
I agree that needing to re-path is Less than Optimal, however that would be an issue to address with autodesk.
Let me see what else I can think up.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/