Author Topic: A new block manager  (Read 8154 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
A new block manager
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:34:40 PM »
OK.  I am going to start this post in the AutoLISP forum but it may end up in the Visual DCL Forum when it is all said an done. 

A few years ago I created a Block Manager.  Like most block managers of its time it was .ini file based which meant allot of batch processing of files to get slides and to update the .ini files.  The company I work at now uses the Design Center  :pissed: Can we say ssslllooowww.  The other day I got the point of absolute frustration when it took 2 minutes to open a folder and get the the block I needed to get to in the DC (Thanks AutoDESK for such a fantastic product  :roll: ).  Well that prompted me to take action.  I started to look at my BMC (Block Management Console) and came to a quick realization, "Man that code was horrid".  I tried to cobble a few things together to make it a bit more efficient but the fact remained, it was still .ini based.

Fast forward to this post - What I am proposing is to create a new block manager based from OpenDCL.

Why am I here? 
Well I would like to get some feed back from the others in the forum.
What kind of needs do others have? 
How do you handle your blocks now? 
If you were to create a block manager what kinds of things would you like to see on it?

Who knows maybe this will spawn some others to take up OpenDCL also (I keep doing little things to try and get my feet wet but I just haven't had a serious need for the things it has to offer.

I'll start with a few things I would like to see (had in my old BMC)

Block Preview and 2X preview
Fast toggle through the blocks
Block description (possibly from the file properties??) - not to important
Multiple entrance points (so I can call certain block folders from a pull down)
Block folder structure (dynamic, If I add a file through explorer and run the program I want the file to show right away)

A few things that would be nice:
A minimal dialog and a maximum dialog (maybe dockable form)
full control over scale, layer, color, etc...

A few things to note about my library:
My library resides under one main folder (Block Library) Then there are sub folders ( electrical, annotation etc..)  that is the main structure, however there are a few instances were I have sub-sub folders ie Bock Library\Sections\Moldings\

All my block are drawn on layer  = 0, color = Bylayer, Linetype = Bylayer (the usual)
There are instances were the defpoints layer is used for non-plotting information and I also use colors 8 9 (they plot as color)

After re-reading this post it sounds like the ramblings of Courtney Love.  Anyway I'll leave it as is and see were it takes me

ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: A new block manager
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
After re-reading this post it sounds like the ramblings of Courtney Love. 

You didn't use near enough "F"s.  ;-)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:57:13 PM »

Oh F*$%@ I'm sorry   :-P
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:12:59 PM »
After re-reading this post it sounds like the ramblings of Courtney Love. 

I had to check your references on Wikifable ...
.. I definately lead a life too sheltered :-)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

Tim, That looks like a good Project for OpenDCL.

A couple of thoughts which may affect the design ..
Have you done any work with XML from VLisp ?
Will you be Extracting some blocks  ( via DBX) from drawing files or will ALL blocks be stand alone drawings ?
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:04:28 AM »
Kerry,

All my blocks are standalone at the moment, although I do have a few "master" drawings that also have all of the block inside one drawing (Like my kithcen cabinet block I have a sinlge files but they are also in a master cabinet drawing)

I haven't used XML with Vlisp yet.  It maybe an exciting project.  I have already thrown a few little snippets together to do some testing.

Quote from: Kerry Brown
I had to check your references on Wikifable ...
.. I definately lead a life too sheltered :-)

You aren't missing anything, that for sure.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »
Here's one that I recently wrote (our other one needed to be put down).

It's based on the principles of one of jbuzbee's examples.  I've also incorporated a search feature.  It's resizable, modeless, faster than our current block manager and doesn't rely on SLDs or SLBs for the images.  The image comes from the block itself so the image is always up to date!  I'm currently working on a "companion" to the block manager which is dockable.

And if you're looking for ideas... customizable!  Make it so that the user can change some things about it; maybe like the insertion layer, scale, etc...

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
For those who like me find it hard to learn new tricks, dcl and old lsp can still work ok.

Code: [Select]
;;;ARCH#LINI path for .ini file (bloc library)
;;;ARCH#LIBF path for .slb file (bloc library)
;;;ARCH#LCMD dialog box command name in title (bloc library)
;;;ARCH#LSLD number of slides in dialog box default = 12 (bloc library)
;;;ARCH#LACT bloc group selection in dialog box (bloc library)
;;;ARCH#LCLR slide image color

;;;(setq ARCH#LINI (strcat ARCH#CUSF "BLOC/" "ARCH_BLOC.ini"))
;;;(setq ARCH#LIBF ARCH#BLKF)
;;;(setq ARCH#LCMD "BLOC")
;;;(setq ARCH#LSLD 12)
;;;(setq ARCH#LCLR 176)

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Main Bloc Function ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;; Original concept by Lintang Darudjati
;;; HotBlocks
;;; A block manager with INI style customization file and a dialog box performing collection-grouping,
;;; file path display, and slide previews as 'hot thumbnails'. Build your own dwg block library with it.
;;; And make them ready to be inserted easily anytime.
;;; http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1073/download.html
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

terrycadd

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
Gary,
Cool icons in your block manager. Please don't flush...

Tim,
What I think would be cool is to show a screen full of blocks and have a [button or option] to enlarge the view of the block you want to look at. This one was done in just plain ol' AutoLISP and dcl.

P.S. I thought these guys were your friends. They seem to be giving you some &#*t...

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »
Gary , That’s  Awesome!!   8-)

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
This is easily done...using the same slide for the enlarged view (yeah I know...) if canceled it returns to the previous main dialog.
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

MvdP

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
Matt, I like the concept of a single preview and the dockable form

Gary, As usual, Cool  :kewl:

Terry,  I used to use image menus (basically the same) I am thinking something with less maintenance.

Here is the old BMC Lsp Dcl version.

How do you guys organize your libraries? Single Drawing w/ Multiple blocks?  Single drawing w/ single block?

What type of structure do you use for your library? Division? Plan type?

I am in the process of cleaning and saving up all my old blocks (the other reason this topic came up.)

ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

bparent

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »

....Gary , That’s  Awesome!!

I agree. Do we get a chance to play with any of these that we are being teased with?

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »

How do you guys organize your libraries? Single Drawing w/ Multiple blocks?  Single drawing w/ single block?

Well, thanks to James, I'm now using a "host" drawing that contains the blocks for various disciplines/categories.  For example, I've got a Storm Drainage DWG that has details relating to storm drainage systems.  The pros for doing it this way are (as I see them):
1) A single drawing makes updating text styles, layers, linetypes etc... easier (if you have to do it)
2) The overall file size is smaller (Example: By using a single block for the storm drainage details, I've gone from 400KB to 120KB - which makes the IT geeks happy because I'm saving server space).
3) The view of the detail is always up to date
4) Which means you don't have to have separate slides or slide libraries for the views.
5) Using OpenDCL you can make the form and drawing image resizable so you don't need the extra DCL dialog for the enlarged view.

Cons
I dunno... I haven't come across any yet.